Insignia--Inside Cabins

RetiredinPrescott

I'm thinking about booking my mother a deck 7 inside cabin (as a single) for a cruise my wife and I will be on. My mother goes to bed about 10pm and wanted a quiet, mid ship cabin. The inside cabins on deck 7 appear to be what she wants. Anything I should be concerned about here? Thanks.:)

One of our neighbors was on the Insignia a couple of years ago and thinks he remembers a self serve laundromat being on deck 7 near some of the inside cabins. That could be a potential noise problem depending on hours it is open and location. The laundromat does not show on the Insignia deck plans.

Anyone know about this? Thanks:confused:

it is on deck 7..but is open certain hours only...and door gets locked so no one can be sneaky ;-) for some reason the laundromat is not on the brochures or deck plans from ship.. but ask your travel agent who should just book your mom away from it so you won't have that worry at all.

Thanks for all the replies. My TA found out the laundromat is just aft of 7068/7071. It closes at 10pm and opens at 7AM so shouldn't be too bad. My travel agent said he could move Mom to7040 or 7043 which are down the hall but just behind the elevators. So I guess it's a crapshoot as to which cabin would be quieter...the one near the elevator or the one near the laundromat. Most cabins for this cruise are already booked (Insignia Nov. 11th)

We were just across from the laudromat on the Crystal Symphony. We never heard a thing and it was very convenient. We could take a look in and throw in a load of laundry whenever there was not a line - which was not easy, since the laundry there is free.

"Thanks for all the replies. My TA found out the laundromat is just aft of 7068/7071. It closes at 10pm and opens at 7AM so shouldn't be too bad. My travel agent said he could move Mom to7040 or 7043 which are down the hall but just behind the elevators. So I guess it's a crapshoot as to which cabin would be quieter...the one near the elevator or the one near the laundromat. Most cabins for this cruise are already booked (Insignia Nov. 11th)"

All even numbers are on port side and odd numbers are aft..Laundry is across from 7074 on port side, so if you want to be away from it look for an odd number stateroom..which will be on aft side..

Jan

Thanks for all the replies. My TA found out the laundromat is just aft of 7068/7071. ...

We were in 7071 on Regatta for a 16-day cruise last January and never heard anything from the laundromat.

Fred

You were on the opposite side of the ship..That would be starboard..sorry about the aft in my last post thats what happens when you are in a hurry..I will try again..Even numbers port..odd numbers starboard!!

Jan

You were on the opposite side of the ship..That would be starboard..sorry about the aft in my last post thats what happens when you are in a hurry..I will try again..Even numbers port..odd numbers starboard!!

Jan

Well, yes, 7071 is inside on the starboard side but I don't believe that being on the starboard side is relevant. The laundry looked to me like it went from the port passageway to the starboard passageway with the entrance from the port passageway. It seemed to be much too large to be behind only 7068.

Fred

• 1 year later...

Greetings to all

I was initially concerned that we would be bothered by noise from the self-serve laundromat, but we never heard a thing from the laundromat. However, we were not in our cabin most of the day, as we were touring ports, on deck, or eating.

One problem we did have was a backup of the waste water system into our shower twice during the 10 day cruise. The cabin next to ours also had this happen to them both times. Thankfully, we were not using the shower at the time.

We were told by the harried staff that someone had "put ladies' underwear into the toilet" somewhere on board and it was causing a backup in several areas. They said the first time it happened that they were starting to address the issue on deck 10 and were working their way down. However, as soon as I called to report it, someone was there to clean it up.

I was told that a couple of months earlier, that particular cabin had been vacant during a cruise and a member of the housekeeping staff had gone into it for some reason and found that the waste water had backed up into the entire bathroom. So, I'm wondering if there are cabins on these former Renaissance vessels that might be "on the front lines" so to speak when there is a waste water backup?

I'd like to know because, despite my being pretty germ-phobic, I DO plan on cruising with Oceania again, but I'd like to be in a cabin that is less likely to back up, if it's possible to predict.

I was pretty freaked out by it at the time, especially the second time, which was the night before disembarking, but two TA's have since told me, in effect, "It can happen on any ship."

Are there certain cabins that are "lines of least resistance" or is it if a clog happens on a certain drain line?

I think if it had happened on any other cruise line I would never want to sail with them again. However, everything else about the cruise and the cruiseline was so spot-on and fantastic, I'm ready to sail with Oceania again in a heartbeat when the time and price are right.

Susan

The door to the laundry is directly across from 7076. We were in 7078, which is only a few feet past the laundry door. When we opened our cabin door, we could hear conversations, the TV in the laundry room, and smell the warm clothes in the dryer. The moment we closed our cabin door it was like turning off a switch -- we could hear nothing. It was handy to be so near; we could peek out the door and discover whether there was an available machine. It was also a friendly and sociable place; we stopped often on the way to our cabin to have a few friendly words with people we had met previously. We have booked the same cabin again for our cruise next April.

The laundry room is as deep as a single cabin and does not extend beyond the middle of the ship; and even if it did, there is no door on the starboard side. The only entrance is on the port (even-numbered) side of the ship. If we could not hear anything from our vantage point, I'm certain the odd-numbered cabins can hear nothing.

Dear Retired,

I just did the TA on Insignia two weeks ago and scouted out the Cat G's and F's for our next cruise. We had a G guarantee for this transatlantic, were upgraded to a B because of our wonderful travel agent; then in the final two weeks she managed to get us upgraded to a PH for an unbelievably fantastic price.

Since I know we totally lucked out this time, and doubt this will ever happen again, I did a thorough search of Cat F's and G's while we were onboard two weeks ago. I spoke to almost everyone in Cat. G and F on deck 7. While no one had any strong complaints about noise there were a few very minor ones- nothing that would actually stop me from accepting any of them.

BUT...in that light my preferences are Cat. F 7053 and 7050...Cat. G 7002 and 7003 only the latter two only because we like motion. Maybe your TA could waitlist one of those Cat F's. And I'd not be concerned about elevator noise if you switch to 7040 or 7043- think those may be slightly better than what you have.

But on Oceania, they are ALL good! :)

I sailed the Insignia last August in a room near the laundry room. We did not hear any noise at all. On our sailing, passengers were required to keep the door to the laundry room closed, but as others have said, it closes at 10:00 p.m. anyway. The door to that room is HEAVY and has to block a lot of the sound. We also found the location to be convenient so that we could go back to our cabin while our clothes were washing and drying. (And before anyone thinks otherwise, we set a timer and were NEVER late getting back to the room.)

Have a great trip,

Donna

Archived