LIVE! HAL Oosterdam 1/7-1/29 South America & Antarctica—Let’s Cruise!

Delicious Filet Mignon for dinner, and bread pudding! 

There is an endless procession of beautiful icebergs.  I keep going out to my balcony, thinking I have enough photos of icebergs, but I can’t help myself.  I take more.

I considered going to see the comic tonight alone for Main Stage, but decided against it.

It is a brisk 34 degrees F but no wind. Possible snow tomorrow.

DH is in bed reading.  Still just a stuffy nose and I hope it gets no worse.

This is the only iceberg photo I took  that has the pretty orange color in the sky:

DSC_7231.jpeg

• Like 13

The Daily for tomorrow has a notice that the Internet Connection n Antarctica does not have strong satellite coverage,and there will be a reduction of bandwidth capability—including partial loss of signal, slower browsing and temporary outages.  Just FYI.

We have our schedule for tomorrow, and weather andn ice permitting its a doozy. Palmer Station, Lemaire Channel, Neumeyer Channel. 

• Like 7

4 hours ago, TravelBluebird said:

We did the afternoon lecture in the room. That worked perfectly.

The lecture was actually about Antarctic Exploration.  I love history; it was quite good. SO many books I want to read about Antarctica now.

Sometimes I double post—that seems to be happening when the internet is slow; apologies.

IMG_6343.jpeg

IMG_6360.jpeg

IMG_6350.jpeg

IMG_6346.jpeg

Have they mentioned Richard E. Byrd who was first to fly over the North and South Poles and headed several Antarctic expeditions among his many accomplishments? I served on the commissioning crew of the USS Richard E. Byrd (DDG-23) from 1963-65.

1 hour ago, TravelBluebird said:

There is an endless procession of beautiful icebergs.  I keep going out to my balcony, thinking I have enough photos of icebergs, but I can’t help myself.  I take more.

I remember the days of film when you had to think twice before pressing the shutter button. There is something to be said for the digital revolution. 📷 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, TravelBluebird said:

Had a delicious brunch in MDR.

Currently watching the next lecture—on discovery history of Antarctica—in stateroom!

image.jpg

I really wish they would offer this for select itineraries - missed a lot of talks on Hawaiian cruise recently - they do impact the cruise experience.

So thrilled you're niw able to see yours on the TV; I'm sure it will make a great cruise even better.

• Like 4

I am L🧡VING your iceberg pictures  - haven't seen a single "weird white balcony thing" in any of them - you're doing a great job!! I am sure your balcony door is getting a workout!

Hope Russ doesn't mind all the in/outs - tell him we appreciate it and hope he feels better soon.

• Like 2

We are in Antarctica! Woke up 6am—in room taking photos.  Russ staying in room for time being but he may wrap scarf around face and go outside later. We are VERY grateful we upgraded to the balcony room

His big problem is that if he coughs it hurts his bruised rib.  Ouch. 

With my bad immune system it’s a miracle I am not sick.  Praying that continues.

Beautiful!

IMG_6498.jpeg

IMG_6499.jpeg

IMG_6507.jpeg

Edited by TravelBluebird
  • Like 13

Beautiful morning! I’ve been on 3, on the bow, and at the back of the ship on 9 (outdoor pool) also in my room; where I am right now as we head toward Lemaire Channel.

We were at Palmer Station this morning—I was able to get a couple photos using my long Nikon lens.

Mostly overcast.  From  28 to 33 degrees F so far today; winds not bad at all (max 13mph)

If you squint you can see 3 penguins on one of the ice flows.

DSC_7503.jpeg

DSC_7494.jpeg

DSC_7531.jpeg

DSC_7489.jpeg

DSC_7458.jpeg

IMG_6564.jpeg

IMG_6657.jpeg

IMG_6592.jpeg

DSC_7319.jpeg

DSC_7278.jpeg

Edited by TravelBluebird
  • Like 12

7 minutes ago, TravelBluebird said:

Current view

In room listening to lecture on Antarctica’s Terrestrial Ecosystems-  Life in the Freezer by Dr. Ed Butler

IMG_6677.jpeg

IMG_6684.jpeg

Striking photos show arches and cavernous hollows carved into world’s largest iceberg

https://www.cnn.com/2024/01/17/climate/iceberg-a23a-erosion-photos-scli-intl-scn-climate/index.html

Edited by billco
  • Like 1

Small bite (shared lox and bagels and coffee) was in the room at 6am. I also grabbed some quick Lido breakfast and more coffee and ventured out to the back pool area after being on Bow.

IMG_6688.png

FullSizeRender.jpeg

IMG_6689.jpeg

IMG_6628.jpeg

IMG_6640.jpeg

IMG_6646.jpeg

IMG_6686.jpeg

Edited by TravelBluebird
  • Like 12

DH is dead asleep.  Poor dear. I’m supposed to take my Methotrexate tonight for my RA but it lowers my immune system so much, I think I should skip it to give me the best chance of not catching his cold.  The worse thing that the “bruised” shoul

Went up to Crow’s Nest for Hot Chocolate. So crowded. Lots of people there coughing or in masks, so I didn’t hang around. 

Ran outside on 10 to get photo of the big mountain.  Came back and my hot chocolate was ready. Took a LONG time to get; just too many people wanting coffees and hot c at the moment.

Back in room.  Very overcast all of a sudden; mountains shrouded in heavy fog//mist. Also very light snow flurries.  Not sure visibility will be good for Lemaire Channel; fingers crossed I understand that is a good spot for wildlife.

None of these photos are processed, and all are iPhone photos. They NEED processing; sorry to basically be showing you the “negatives” but I don’t know when I’ll lose my internet again!

IMG_6755.png

Someone needs to remove these screens; bad idea; in middle of view.

IMG_6719.jpeg

IMG_6727.jpeg

IMG_6715.jpeg

IMG_6728.jpeg

IMG_6720.jpeg

IMG_6752.jpeg

IMG_6741.jpeg

Edited by TravelBluebird
  • Like 12
  • Thanks 1

Your pictures are fabulous- don’t process for us!

Thanks for sharing - I will be doing the Antarctica sail by on another cruise ship in February so your trip reports (and others on HAL) have been wonderfull!

• Like 3

Captain just gave his noon address.

We couldn’t get closer to Palmer Station this morning due to ice.

Currently, winds are occassionally gusting to Beaufort 8 (40 mph).  Wind chill overall is 19 degrees F .  Overcast, snow forcast.

Due to ice and conditions we are heading to Neumayer Channel instead of Lemaire—we will try for Lemaire again late today and if can’t do it then, again tomorrow morning.

Current conditions: 

IMG_6764.jpeg

• Like 8

1 hour ago, TravelBluebird said:

IMG_6755.png

Someone needs to remove these screens; bad idea; in middle of view.

IMG_6719.jpeg

Sorry the weather is not cooperating w/your itinerary, but your pictures are still amazing and I'm sure you will still see some awesome sights on the revised route.

Agree those screens are not well positioned at all. They've been removed on some ships and NEED TO GO on the rest. Still great views up there.

Here are a couple shots w/o the screens.

20231227_165814.thumb.jpg.b5bff85d24bf57caf6bf80b3f5dc75ec.jpg

20240103_021849.thumb.jpg.03020d7f1f63efae7e568fedc5222770.jpg

20240103_021832.thumb.jpg.01eb3edf20992a281311219ff36b0fb1.jpg

Edited by Haljo1935
Uploads
  • Like 3

This is an earlier post I tried to make but lack of internet prevented me; Decided to post it before I go on! — it was earlier this afternoon.

We are at hold while Captain surveys ice and weather, near a colony of penguins.

Unfortunately my 300mm lens is not good enough to capture them clearly. But you can see the penguin trail, and if you blow up the photo, a gaggle of penguins!   The bow has still been open, so I was out there for awhile.

Some people saw a humpback whale; we did not.

I brought down food from the Asian station on Lido for lunch, and I’m going up and down getting DH tea and fluids. Good thing we are aft and right near the elevator up to Lido Marketplace!

DSC_7833.jpeg

IMG_3439.png

IMG_3438.png

IMG_6860.jpeg

IMG_6847.jpeg

IMG_6715.jpeg

IMG_6741.jpeg

IMG_6861.png

Edited by TravelBluebird
  • Like 12
  • Thanks 1

After lunch, the captain did make his way to Neumayer Channel.

He kept the bow open for us in spite of wind. REALLY windy…winds over 40mph.  I discovered that uncovering the tips of my right thumb and forefinger to operate my camera and iphone (special camera gloves) pretty much froze em right off.

There were humpback whales (I saw a spout and a fin!) and we saw a Scenic brand ship there, right by a small fort at Port Lockroy. What I couldn’t see with my naked eye OR my lens till I got back is that there are like a hundred Gentoo penguins in front of that building (has red in it). If only I had a better lens 😭  There was also a 3-masted ship there, and I couldn’t hear the narration but I think it might be the Europa.

I got too cold to stay there outside any longer (there were just a few brave souls on the bow with me).  After I came in, conditions deteriorated visibly, with less visibility and even some light snow!

Captain got on the address system and informed us that with the lack of visibility and strong wind, we would go back to “sheltered water” and wait for the morning, where we would attempt Lemaire Channel again. Keep your fingers crossed for us!

After that, DH decided to go to the medical center. The bad part of all this is each time he coughs, he really hurts that rib he cracked in Santiago. He just has a cold; no fever or anything, but they gave him some extra strength Tylenol for the coughing//rib and some cough medicine.

He is staying in and having chicken soup. I think I’ll just eat up on the Lido, or join him with room service.

DSC_8039.jpeg

DSC_8027.jpeg

DSC_8046.jpeg

Edited by TravelBluebird
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Captain just addressed ship again—winds of 65mph; he asked everyone to stay inside the ship—no outside at all tonight!

And a couple photos of how uncrowded the bow was this afternoon because of the cold//wind:

IMG_6911.jpeg

IMG_6910.jpeg

Edited by TravelBluebird
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1