Specialty dining newbie

While we have been on several cruises, this will be our first time where we are given specialty dining credits. How does this actually work? I know I need to make reservations, but how does the restaurant know we have these credits? If our final tab goes over the credit amount, does the excess automatically get charged to our account? Would love to hear from the experts. Thanks!

We never remind them and it's always covered. On our last cruise we were presented with a bill at the end so we could add any additional tip. The service was terrific so we were happy to get that. 

Just make your reservation online and the form should figure out that you're using HIA credit.  If it doesn't, you can talk to guest relations to fix the problem.  I've never had any extra charges at a specialty restaurant, so I don't know what happens with that.

Make the reservation now and apply the credit online when you book. Unless you have drinks (without a drink package or extra order) you shouldn't have extra charges.  We usually have issues with our Mariner credit unless we remind them at dinner. 

I never have had a problem using my HIA dining credit as it registers it when you book prior to sailing.

However, when using a 5 Star free meal, they often mess up and try to charge me 50% off only.