A Blissful Voyage Through the Panama Canal, 4 – 19 December 2023– Recap

I am starting this as a belated review of our bucket list adventure, our first Panama Canal cruise.  This was our 3rd time on the Bliss (Alaska 2019, Mexican Riviera 2022) so we know the ship fairly well.  Both previous cruises we had an aft balcony, this time was a forward one on deck 15 to be closer to the observation lounge.  We added Vibe Beach Club passes, which were decently priced for 15 days.  We also prebought extra specialty restaurant meals, which gives us 7 (3 with FAS, 2 Platinum, 2 purchased) so we hit all the dining options.

Our 7th cruise since the restart, 6th on NCL.  Our previous longest was 11 days, this one is 15; Miami to LA through the canal.  Also, our first as Platinum travelers.

We booked last March.  NCL added Manzanillo this summer, which gave us 8 ports.  Then the hurricane hit Acapulco, so with a remix of ports, down to 7. skipping Acapulco.  Internet postings stated we would have a large change after the canal transit, this did not happen. Don’t always believe what you read!

I will not post pictures of the dailies, so please don’t ask.  There are also no food pictures.  I have over 300 pictures from all the ports and canal crossing, and will only show a sample of them.

We flew into Miami early, and spend 2 days in the Keys before the cruise, driving from the hotel in Key Largo to Key West on that Sunday.  We flew home from LA the day of disembarkation.

Overall…

A GREAT cruise.  While there were some minor things along the way, the overall cruise makes them small in comparison.  The ship is still in great shape, and we noticed a few new items, such as the outside furniture on deck 8.   

The ship had over 3700, so only 98% capacity.  There were announced around 135 Germans, 400 Canadians, 110 from the UK, 40-ish Aussies and 25-ish New Zealanders.  There were also (in my estimation) probably over 100 people from Japan, and a few other Asian countries.  And 900 people from the 5,127 islands of the Philippians. (all crew)

The cruise director was Dan Dan, a Filipino, and assistant director was Alexis, from the US.  They made an interesting pair, as Dan Dan is avg height for his country, and Alexis is 6’3+”.  The usual banter between them was the best we have seen, as Dan Dan was always so energetic, and Alexis provided the dry, deadpan humor.  More on them throughout.

The crew was very accommodating, and if you used any venue a few times, they would recognize you when you returned.

The Vibe was well worth the cost, with 7 sea days. Only the last one (Cabo to LA) was cool and windy.

I will try to summarize each day with a few supporting photos in individual postings.

I may also make comments of fellow passengers.  Sorry if it was you, I call them as I see them.

• Like 4

Day minus -2  Flight to Miami, Key Largo.

We had an early morning direct flight to Miami that happened without incident.  Since it was a regional flight, we walked from the far end of D concourse to luggage (1/2 mile!), then to rental car area (with tram ride), another ¼ mile, where we got to wait 45 minutes to get through the line and get our vehicle.  The ride to Key Largo was OK, some bogged down traffic where lanes merge.  It was Saturday, so I presume typical Keys traffic for the locals.  We ate lunch at Buzzards Roost, which had a view to a small inlet. We had a few glimpses of manatees, but the pictures of them didn’t show much.

Checked into the hotel, and relaxed for a couple of hours on their private beach, where the Ibis’s seem to like flocking around tourists. 

image.thumb.jpeg.cec6394cbefec113bda454e90bcf9695.jpeg

At dinner time we decided on Jimmy Johnson’s Big Chill just down the street.  We had a bar seating with view of the SEC football game and the cove in the background.  Chatted with a couple seated next to us, who visit regularly during winter months.

If you think NCL listed prices for drinks and other food items are escalated, then go to the Keys.  You will find similar pricing.  For instance, the std margarita was $12 for an 8 oz glass. We had a plate of super nachos in the 2nd half.  As the day-night progressed, we were asked 3 times if we were on the same check as the couple we were talking to.  Each time we said no (as the couple did also).  Despite that, when the bill came, it included all 4 of our orders.  We asked for the correct one, and when that came my wife checked it out as I was ready to add the tip.  The price contained a 20% tip (no reason given).

Needless to say, no additional tip was given.  We can only assume the auto 20% was for a “split check” or simply a way of catching unsuspecting tourists for a double tip.  The covered bar is nice, and the outside seating area has great water views.  But I would eat and drink sparingly, and ALWAYS check your bill there before payment.   We will not return if ever that way again.

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, Panhandle Couple said:

I will not post pictures of the dailies, so please don’t ask.  

YAY!! Someone who gets the fact that taking pictures of dailies and using up precious internet time and space is an enormous waste of time. YAY, again...

*taking cover from all the dailies lovers picking up stones to be hurled my way*

Edited by schmoopie17
  • Like 3
  • Haha 3

Day minus -1  Key West.

After a quick hotel breakfast, we were on the road to Key West.  The iconic drive was disappointing to me.  The older buildings and businesses have seen better days.  New businesses are typical std US chains and Florida styles.  The narrow bridges close to the water have been replaced with much stronger, higher, hurricane proof ones.  This makes sense, but limits your water views.  And there is really only 1 long bridge, the 7 mile bridge.  There is also a 2 mile bridge.  All others are less than a mile, and most are maybe ¼ of a mile.  (As a comparison, in the Pensacola area we have two 3 mile bridges and several that are ½ to 2 miles long).  Traffic again was Sunday weekend, but tolerable early in the morning.

We found an all day public parking lot for $35, as street parking is limited.  Since it was the off season and no cruise ships in port, we could have paid less, or found some free street parking, but didn’t know that up front. 

We walked around as the town was opening up, and took the “train” tour, which was good for first timers.  As an off day tourist wise, the ride was OK, but if during spring break or a cruise ship day, it would have taken much longer with the traffic and narrow streets.  You only get to see a small amount of the residential areas, mainly the commercial side of town along Duval and adjacent streets.  You get a good overview of the history of the island, and what many of the historic buildings have in their past. For parrot heads, you do ride by the original Jimmy Buffet’s Margaritaville (which is small), along with the La Te Da bar and the House on Caroline Street (which is now sadly a woman’s boutique).   

image.thumb.jpeg.3dc4dab620731ecb58a876317f28194b.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.34dd21abe4ced590ff4cddb4af4f27fe.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.40692c709025ec017f8381477040a7d6.jpeg

The famous south point giant buoy was recently repainted, but there was an estimated 20 minute line just to get your picture with it, and no guarantee people won’t get in your way, as there is no crowd control there.  We decided to pass, and have a few snap shots from the train not worth showing.

By then we were thirsty, so hit the first of 3 brew pubs, the Southernmost Brewery.   We talked to the owner – brew master, who was interesting, in a Key West sort of way.  His wife runs the kitchen and we had a quick snack. The beer selection was limited, so we moved on after sharing a flight of five samples.

Chickens are everywhere in Key West.  There is a fine for hitting them with your car.  I assume some of the locals gather the eggs, and maybe a free chicken meal or two.

image.thumb.jpeg.078352e1d5f8755f638687da1f472de1.jpeg

After more exploring and shopping, we hit the second brew pub (First Flight), this one housed in the original headquarters of Pan American World Airlines (Pan Am).   I never flew Pan Am and recall it went out of business in the late 70’s or early 80’s, but an American Icon business in the 50’s and 60’s.  The building had lots of Pan Am memorabilia, and their souvenirs were pricey, meaning we didn’t buy any. The bar was part inside and outside.  We chose the inside as it was getting hot for December there.  The outside portion has a small courtyard with some trees.  The beer was Ok, but only 1 pint each and time to move on.

image.thumb.jpeg.ba8ca7e72665f94a85ac64a2a6a13c56.jpeg

The town still has some of the older signs and art deco building facades, although most have been repurposed into other businesses or are now empty waiting for reuse. 

image.thumb.jpeg.19179798d1ca40528e4b95ec0d7f335c.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.d51453163272c63be18ed4b19f66b769.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.deeca77de90f3ead101e2b322ae120b7.jpeg

We strolled and shopped some more, then hit brewpub #3, The Waterfront Brewery.  This is a much larger building and faces the docks that tour boats use.  We did get a good window seat to watch people leaving their tours. The beer was the best here, and we settled for a light dinner with a few pints.  We bought a few souvenirs and then walked over to Mallory Square to get our place along the seawall to watch the sunset.  It does get crowded there, and this day was no exception, although probably less than in full season.  The sunset did not disappoint, however, no green flash. Admittedly, very few have ever seen the green flash. One local stated 20 years of trying, on shore and at sea, and has never seen it. 

image.thumb.jpeg.a256c974d60b379bcb18f4c6810270b0.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.1157439c3a2104f751e191be669a5806.jpeg

Back to the car after dark and the long ride back to Key Largo.  Everyone leaves at once, the road is mainly single lanes each way, and if 1 person drives slow, everyone drives slow.  This night, there was 1 driving slow.  There may have been a line up of 60 or more vehicles following him/her.    Finally, we made it back to the hotel and some needed sleep.

image.jpeg

• Like 1

Day 1  Embarkation Day

We planned our drive back to the car rental terminal so we could get an early check in.  The drive took longer than we thought, LOTS of slow traffic, even after 9 AM.  Finally turned in the car, and looked for an Uber.  The prices were going up as we waited, $38 or more, and we needed an XL with all our luggage.  We talked a taxi driver into a set fare of $40.  He started his meter just to show us the real cost.  Again more barely moving traffic, and the cabbie drove aggressive, as only cabbies can.  With lots of brave moves, we got to the terminal and his meter was at $42.50.  He did get a good tip.

Dropped off luggage and when into the line, found the Priority – Platinum and up line, and checked in quickly.  This was about 10:30 AM.  We did find a seat, and started looking at the provided daily.  We had never used the NCL Miami port before, and it is very nice, but floor space is still limited for those waiting. We noticed people on the other side glass barrier and thought they were Haven folks checking in.  After awhile we figured out they were getting OFF the ship and this was the customs line.  People still getting off at 11?  What?  I checked the daily, nothing was listed as opening until 12.  Then I remembered the long customs lines someone posted for cruise stops in Colombia and Panama.  But as time wore on, the place filled up with people, making even standing space limited.  Anxiety waxed and patience waned as some couldn’t tolerate an extra 30 minute wait. For a 15 day cruise.

When they opened the line up at Noon, there were many announcements for people to clear the area.  I liken it to herding cats, as many people ignored the announcements and blocked wheelchair and walkers, then acted surprised they were asked to move.  Finally Latitudes was called, and after a few minutes, we decided just to join the throng heading to the door.  They maybe checked our cards for status, and off we went

We went to the Cruise Next desk to sign up for a free behind the scene tour and wine tasting.  It took almost 40 minutes, as many people seemed to think buying cruise next certificates, or even a future cruise was the most important thing to do in the first 60 minutes of a 15 day cruise.  It took less than 5 minutes to actually sign up once at the desk.

Since the sign up delay caused the buffet and MDR’s to get full, we just wandered to Spice H2O and enjoyed drinks and the Miami sights and sunshine.  We started “chatting” with a German couple, who were with a large group.  They were impressed that we were simply traveling alone.  (Chatting is probably not a true description, he understood very little English, and hers was quite limited.  We know almost no German. This would be a common occurrence for us on this cruise.)  

image.thumb.jpeg.80b34a049f50670216a765501c508af8.jpeg

We also got the changed itinerary sheet that showed us subbing an at sea day and missing Acapulco. None of the large changes shown on line by a rival CC wanna be.

We left Miami late due to the extra provisions needed and the late boarding start.  We finally got the call for rooms ready, and went there to unpack and unwind.  Dinner was in Taste, and took about 1 hour. I can’t remember what we had, but my notes say it was very good.  After dinner we headed to the theater to see the first Beatles show and an introduction program hosted by our cruise director, Dan Dan. Most of the staff officers, including the General Manager were presented.  After that, drinks at The Cavern Club outdoors bar, our favorite on ship.  We had an early turn-in to prepare for the many days ahead.   

• Like 3

Day 2  At Sea

We woke early, and I trekked the short distance to the Observation Lounge for morning caffeine and light pastries and fruit.  After that, down to deck 8 for our 2 mile walk (just under 8 laps).  Then off to our 8:30 Behind the Scenes Tour.  This was our first, so we learned a few things. 

A quick stop in the kitchen, as everyone was preparing breakfast.  But we did see the prepared Christmas decorations awaiting display.  Kitchens don’t vary much, and this was simply a much larger operation than what you see on TV cooking shows. 

image.thumb.jpeg.ee0eedd572d80151346813eb8014c647.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.fd894db7d516ec6e1c12f8583633518e.jpeg

Down to the laundry, and the many washers, dryers, sheet folders, and dry cleaning equipment.  The operations there are 24-7, and it is probably the worst job location, tucked away on deck 2 and 3. 

image.thumb.jpeg.1839489e21ae2e84e8d5182354fb4d62.jpeg

Then to the stage area and dressing rooms.  The manager there gave some good stats.  Six has the biggest set due to all the lights, and really fills the available storage space.  Six has 2 floater extras, they must know 3 roles each, so more demanding than a single role.  Jersey Boys has 2 main leads, as the vocal range is hard to perform twice in one night.  Also 7 scene changes, and multiple costume changes, especially for the women.  The shortest one is 7 seconds, with an off stage time of only 15 seconds between roles.  Each woman has 5 to 6 wigs for the numerous roles.  Actors do their own makeup, and there is a seamstress for the costumes for each show.

The Jersey Boys band (except drummer) plays in the band pit under the stage until the last song.  Small monitors are in the ceiling of the theater facing the stage, so the performers can see the conductor to stay on time.   (Note: we could not take pictures in these areas)

The tour made us late for the CC Meet and Greet, and they introduced the same staff from the night before, which is impressive for a much smaller group.  Some additional stats:

3 Ambassador, 12 Diamond, 100+ Sapphire on board.  Made us lowly Platinum members seem a little less important.  But everyone left when the officers did, so we really didn’t meet anyone.

A sit down brunch in Savor was followed by our first time in the Vibe.  A couple of hours watching the waves go by, and of course, drinks.  My drink of the day was a Tequila Sunrise (with 1800 Reposado), which is my go to cruise drink.  My wife sticks to her Captain and Diet.

Dinner was at Cagney’s, which we though was better than our last 2 times there. My wife had the shrimp and Petit Filet, while I opted for the French Onion soup and large filet.  Both were cooked to perfection.  Then the go to OMG cheesecake and 7 layer chocolate cake.

Then off to the late performance of the Jersey Boys.  Our 3rd time seeing it.  It was definitely better than in March 2022, which was still covid limited, perhaps.  We thought the band sounded very good and tight.  The singers certainly excelled.  With multiple roles required by everyone, the minor characters were a little lacking at times, but overall, a very good performance.  After show drinks rounded out the night and then off to bed.

• Like 3

Day 3  At Sea

We started with our usual caffeine and croissants, then a 2 mile walk.  Breakfast was at the buffet, no issues noted.  Stopped by the Cruise Next desk and re-upped our supply with minimal wait in line.  Then off to do some trivia with a new friends couple (Nicky and Bob).  This is progressive trivia hosted by the assistant cruise director, Alexis.  It is held in The Q. Alexis finds her own questions, so this is much better than the std NCL trivia. She also likes to comment when giving the answers, and will consider some challenges.  It is possible there will be different questions for each cruise.  Alexis is a great host and a very good compliment to Dan Dan, and helped make the cruise fun.

After trivia, there was some rain, so no sunning in the Vibe.  The ship also had its most rocking this day, so most people were just hanging out.  Drink of the day for me was Tequila Sunrise again.

Dinner for us was at Ocean Blue, which was good. My wife had shrimp something and I had one of the fish selections.

The theater hosted an unadvertised group, The Nashville Tenors.  3 guys from Nashville, with very good vocals.  Of course they sang some country and country leaning songs.  We really liked them, and the only down side was the show was only 40 minutes, with some time taken up for talking.  Maybe this was a limited tryout for NCL?  We noticed some of the cast from Six and Jersey Boys in 3rd row cheering them on.  They really liked the show, which does show the talent level.  They had a second performance night later in the cruise which we missed.   An early turn in was needed for the excursion times in our first port, Cartagena.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, schmoopie17 said:

YAY!! Someone who gets the fact that taking pictures of dailies and using up precious internet time and space is an enormous waste of time. YAY, again...

*taking cover from all the dailies lovers picking up stones to be hurled my way*

Rocks upon you...but nerf ones.

Personally, i don't need to see a list of every activity, but there are often bits that I'd like to know (like restaurant hours, particularly on boarding day)

Loving this review- 15 days - a dream!!! Come on retirement…. Still have one in college, sigh.  Will be On Bliss in March out of LA, so lots of pertinent info. Wanting Vibe passes but wondering about weather in the pacific Rivera, of  course, March may be a bit warmer.  Thanks  again!!  

Day 4 In port, Cartagena Columbia.

Modern Cartagena has many tall buildings and looks very western.  Most of them are hotels and condos, but there are some business ones also.

image.thumb.jpeg.2cf086b189a9f544d86bf499c952a705.jpeg

Early caffeine and croissants, then time for shore excursion.  We did the Walled City and Bay Tour.

The tour bus meets you at the dock, and then slow movement through narrow streets (lots of branches hitting the double decker bus) in the port area to get to the old town.  The tour guide, Ronaldo was good, with reasonable English.  A bit of a bonus as the town was decorated for Christmas, and the celebration of the Immaculate Conception was to be held that night. 

image.thumb.jpeg.fd3c3094893796ea3eb8e18686d23387.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.e1ad203463086945698b5c537cb0760e.jpeg

Once into town we separated into 3 smaller groups, and we got the main guy Ronaldo.  He had many facts and stories, and is a very experienced tour guide. I can’t begin to say all the things he pointed out, and I took dozens of pictures.  Of course, lots of Spanish style architecture from over 100 years of building. Here are a few pictures, but I could fill several pages with them.  

image.thumb.jpeg.b65c262510e604309874a6e2e0c6f616.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.4aa5353e8992da8b8f0e3f4b67d9629e.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.d75b6e49f4e6fd0c718a387531b327ef.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.c3525366203421fb6eb2ccc80a30c1f7.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.59880a0247e5f98c3be0becf0de1cb5d.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.2bc8e0501c332ebfb6ea17fa8e2079bf.jpeg

After 90 minutes of walking and sight-seeing, it was back on the bus to the bay, and onto a fake pirate ship for the bay cruise.  It was getting hot by then, and no breeze until we started moving.  They did provide cold water and beer, and also had some traditional dancing on board.  The main view was the old fort, which was only from a large distance.  A unique feature is a statue of Mary on its own pedestal in the bay.  (The city hosts three different names/versions of Mary, I’m not certain why).   The bay portion was underwhelming, but not bad.

image.thumb.jpeg.5f4474e7b41748bb1f4ce7d2c354f7ba.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.e170082df6c20e036b6ec27418e64dc6.jpeg

Back on land, we were bussed (on the upper deck again) back to the port, and we couldn’t help but notice the wiring throughout the back streets that looks…well make your own judgement.

image.thumb.jpeg.83d0961d365391b5d9d2ce3e9e253597.jpeg

They drop you off in a treed area with a building for souvenirs, and much appreciated AC and bathrooms.  Outside there are some Parrots, Macaws and monkeys.  It is a bit of a hike back to the ship, but certainly not the longest walk we have done.  The main issue is the heat, humidity and bright sun at 1 pm.

image.thumb.jpeg.52894a481b5fce9ad3c51acf2f5e039f.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.de8404b3a44cd7f338dd3388c12fcf78.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.b20b63e48187eb70dfd891f00df6f0ed.jpeg

Lunch was a quick trip to the Local (wings, Rueben) before returning to the room.

Afternoon was a short time in Vibe, with some drinks and ice water.  Drink of the day for me was Dark and Stormy, simply because I like it.

Dinner was at Savor, where we had red snapper, with bread pudding and cherry trifle cannoli’s.

Then on to the Latitude party in the Observation Lounge.  Wow, what an affair.  Very crowded and all the officers introduced this time.  A much more formal looking setting, and many were dressed up very nice.  Of course, we also had the top tier of cruisers on board.  Even the captain noted how many veteran cruisers we had.   We left early, as the wait for drinks and noise was too much for us.   Back to the more relaxed Tavern Club outdoor bar.

• Like 1

Day 5  Panama Canal Crossing

The day we were all waiting for!

We started with our std routine, then scouted out chairs in the Observation Lounge, and pushed 4 up along the port side, and shared them with Nicky and Bob.  As we went by Colon, Bob and I went up to Vibe to get pictures of the Atlantic bridge.

image.thumb.jpeg.50aea42cd9c119425be3b3a03384b51c.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.142b3dae23274272aa35e7cdc316a0de.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.c37293f62e6608694949e2f1f73601b5.jpeg

We also got views of the old locks, and the ships passing through them.  On the starboard side is the original channel started by the French, which looks pretty small today.

image.thumb.jpeg.331f9ae18011cf3e1f0a027870f804d5.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.d6f345f5773ca9eea17828227d3d1356.jpeg

We then went to deck 8 and to the bow area (deck 8 ½) for pictures of the first lock.  This was crowded, and already getting hot.  After 30 minutes or so (the locks take quite awhile to fill with water) Bob went back to the lounge, and I went to aft deck 8.  This was a much better spot, since it was far less crowded and in the shade.  You can watch the rear gate operation from here, and the vehicles using it once it is closed.  

image.thumb.jpeg.0686ab3a9e5cc79220fd8275cbf29dac.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.fa18c6d7c1ed50f83e8cf81c968e2ff8.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.9fdd0b4d51b1204aba1e4aa7ccb6271c.jpeg

I returned to the lounge and we watched out the window at the visitor center as we slowly made our way up the next two locks.  Before we moved from the last lock, we gave up the chairs and had a quick change, then up to the Vibe.  Once there, we had a great view of Gatun Lake, as we slowly cruised across it. The lake level was obviously down, but is maybe not as critical as some are making out.  Laying in the warm sun, watching the scenery, and sipping a few drinks was probably the best part of a very good day. Drink of the day for me was Bombay and tonic, since it feels like a colonial type of beverage.

image.thumb.jpeg.4eef716e4c660d8c4f99de46a3cb250f.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.4ff7c2e19cfd7ffec4056d51adead8f5.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.0588b297fd8803d675e1b0ff9c382541.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.0f849fd3fc594188871bd1d8938f8385.jpeg

During the whole transit process, there was a narration by someone, a tour guide?  The narration provided a lot of facts and history, BUT…was the most boring and flat tone of voice I have heard.  Think college professor droning on about Hungarian philosophy or something.  (Sorry if there are any Hungarians reading this).  And most of the items he pointed out were on the port side, and we were on the starboard.  

A funny aside…we made comments about the boring narration during one of the trivia sessions with Alexis, and she just rolled her eyes and said: I had to stand next to him on the bridge for 6 hours!

And another…the next day Bob and Nicky did one of the train tours, and he was their tour guide on that as well.  They got a double dose of boring.

So, we got hungry, and went down to Taste, (Italian Wedding soup and chicken fajita)  and luckily got a window seat as we went through the cut.  Realizing we were approaching the Centennial bridge, I rushed out for a few quick photos.

image.thumb.jpeg.660a40adf9928c822d812d8450eb83e9.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.4ed314ed5c75c08bce35c43f9f5885fe.jpeg

We went back to our port side room, and watched as we sailed past the other old locks, through the new locks and getting views of the buildings in Panama City from a distance, through the hills.

image.thumb.jpeg.0d4e36ca332f5529761d85df298146d3.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.8db1a003c872a18ee2d3ba724901580b.jpeg

I got a few more photos of the gates in the new locks as we finished up.  They are “hollow”, really a box structure that slides open and shut, vs the old locks dual swinging doors.

image.thumb.jpeg.18aff6f00b438ba79d31c53377531519.jpeg

As we approached the Bridge of Americas, I went back up to Vibe to see how close we were to the bridge bottom, knowing we were crossing at low tide on the Pacific side.  Several of us were standing on the edge of the hot tub for the best view, and talked about how close we would be.  As we slowly approached, the angle looked like we had very little room.  As we passed there was (obviously) enough, and our collective best guess was about 8 feet of clearance.  Note the tides can be 12 to 15 feet, so passing under the bridge at the right tide height is required. 

image.thumb.jpeg.4ee92c134755e379595d9c14a89b0e2e.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.9b76d47999688bedf62c85a05acac906.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.956a9291705d238198fc2a28891ca260.jpeg

We relaxed and went to dinner (Taste/Savor) then went to the Cavern Club to hear Wild Spirits (ship band) have their Stevie Wonder tribute.  The show was done well, the main singer had the vocal range required for the songs.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, JamesIowa said:

I thought for sure we were going to hit the bridge. Nice seeing you up there, funny you caught me in this pic. Awesome cruise, great review so far. 

IMG_0365.jpeg

Sorry I missed the pub crawl, so I didn't place CC people with faces.

It was a unique view.

Day 6  Panama City, Panama.

Another early morning, quick caffeine and croissants, then off to our City Sights, Old and Ruined City excursion.  We got to use the new, in process terminal for exit-entry from the ship.  The bus takes a lengthy time to travel the small break wall peninsula from the terminal island to the city.  It was also a Saturday, so more locals using the road for biking.  We did stop once for a photo op of the city in the distance.

image.thumb.jpeg.17e5430e124ff2649d6bb0aa32f6aa7b.jpeg

Overall, this tour dragged on.  The tour sold out several times, we had 8 busses all trying to do the same thing.  The ruined original city is not set up for that many busses and people.  To keep confusion and mixing of groups down, they make you wait…and wait…and wait before getting on a series of large golf carts to take you into the site and small museum.   The museum was OK, std things about pre-Spanish and Spanish activities.  The time to wander through the ruins was limited, maybe 20 minutes before loading onto the bus on the far side.  Many of the buildings are simply foundations, as they were robbed of material for new buildings after the English attack.

image.thumb.jpeg.0a946c1cfc3b83d916c7caf5788be656.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.870df31ca29d75c05dda0dbc1e0a5c5d.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.80d61e6f8767680f341bee56fffb4ae2.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.727abbd5becc219f091ba660036f00a8.jpeg

Then on to Old City, which required parking at a small park, then walking into the main central square area.   Lots of historic buildings: churches, city hall, hotels.  The area is decently preserved, but the streets are narrow, the sidewalks narrower, and you walked in the cobblestone street a lot. We got about 30 minutes to wander some and buy souvenirs.  I purchased an original Panama Hat (made in Ecuador, who knew?), coffee and smaller items.  Then we trekked back to the bus, and to the terminal. 

image.thumb.jpeg.4106b562a79e2127d5d3da1b5a6a7574.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.ada01a13889f54431e9322dcc05da8c5.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.38517dc38106a3448739029312eef8df.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.66a0312ee5f0ecbef6e3011ab091118d.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.e4ec7680f2dbc8a01fc71b53fe05975e.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.60df4294815b40cc140e5cca8b4a85f5.jpeg

Once on board a quick lunch at the buffet and drinks at Spice H20, then Cavern Club outdoors. Drink of the day was Tequila Sunrise.  

While sitting there, we talked to the seamstress for Six who was also in the bar area.  She gave us some good info on how she got there, their contracts, ship privileges, etc.   The number 1 thing that motivated her?  NCL was paying her 4 times the amount than her previous, similar job at Disney World.   With being on ship, she has no cost for housing, food, or transportation.  Only phone, internet and drinks.  Her contract is in 6 month periods, and she stays at relatives when in between contracts. 

Dinner was in the Manhattan room, and for the first time I tried the std NY Strip.  It was good and cooked correctly, so I would order it again.

• Like 1

Day 7  Day at Sea

Our std caffeine and croissants, then 8 laps, then breakfast at Savor, which was very good.  Met Bob and Nickey for trivia again.  The topic was music, and we thought we didn’t do good, maybe average.  We found out the next trivia session that we actually had the highest score for that round.

Then on to Vibe for several hours in the sun, and drinks.  My drink was Tequila Sunrise again.

Dinner was Le Bistro.  I had the pork chop, my wife the sole.  Both very good.  Dessert, I tried the spiced pear w/chocolate sauce.  Very good.

We attended the late showing of Six.  This was our 4th time seeing it.  I still don’t get all the acclaims and excitement about it.  It was performed OK, the singers generally sing ok, it is just too contrived and silly for me.  My wife likes it and my daughter loves it, however.

• Like 1

Day 8  Puerto Quetzal

Another day, and a 3rd country we have never been to with this sailing.

Morning routine and 8 laps.  As you cruise up the coast into the port, the 4 volcanos are seen getting larger and larger.  Then an eruption from the Fire volcano got everyone watching them.  Then another.  In all 4 eruptions about 12 minutes between each kept everyone’s cameras busy.

image.thumb.jpeg.fe4fd942eed67cd4d91e7ec1f79adcee.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.5aa635b85d43ce713b3635a1dc2139ae.jpeg

Our tour was Antigua on Your Own.  Antigua is a 2 hour drive from the coast, through fields of sugar cane  and bananas, then up onto the sides of the volcanos with coffee plantations.  The drive was scenic after the first 40 minutes, and our guide did a very good job describing the country itself, and what we were seeing, how people live and chicken busses, etc. 

image.thumb.jpeg.1c36863ebb3f12658d3775296e8184ad.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.fe4dc92ede1c6c5e7f491201b4f2b2fb.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.b6d1f17ce53d60f6e0bc764ee15e7326.jpeg

Once we got to Antigua, the driver edged the bus through small streets, at impossible turn angles) 4 to 8 swings to get straight) to get to the drop off point.  Busses this big are only allowed from cruise tours.  They only get 6 or 7 cruise ships there per month, and Bliss is by far the largest, so the most busses entering town. 

Walking around Antigua is interesting.  There are no stop lights or stop signs in any intersection. and  narrow sidewalks force you to walk in the street many times, on uneven cobblestones.  Also again, Christmas decorations and celebrations were underway, making for interesting sideshows.  Most of the businesses there have small street openings.  The main orientation is in an interior courtyard, which may or may not be shared with other business.  We found that entering the courtyards thru shops was the main way of experiencing the town.   We took many pictures, and used google maps to get around.

image.thumb.jpeg.533b2d753906579043da8a738563f54d.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.e3b7acb9589f357aad1b934e674f0a88.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.5efbb874bc91da316d3a2dca79262f7e.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.7f26ca27f624f6b9d2db9d93e7167f48.jpeg

We worked our way to Antigua Brewing, the only brewpub in town.  Climbing to the 3rd floor provided a great view of the town over the rooftops, with the volcanos in the background.  Unfortunately, clouds moved in on the Water volcano, blocking the view of its summit.   We split a flight of beer, and a plate of empanadas.  The only down point was the food took a long time to arrive on our limited schedule. 

image.thumb.jpeg.8ceea68a7d493c75ad02ab4c062465c1.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.0d93fe0cb7596ce5bdeb909471e66185.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.d0dbbd2fb6700d49ea0234366f957872.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.6e5f2fb74f6cdd9ac81150ffd976f644.jpeg

We worked our way back to the pickup point as the sun was setting, and the streets were getting more crowded.  The pickup point was hectic, 3 or 4 bus loads of folks waiting for their bus, which could only come one at a time.  Luckily, we were the second bus, because the ride back to the port was looonnnggg.  Very long, (over 2 hrs) traffic barely moves in a town with few signals and stop signs, even on the main highway. It was dark so no scenery to be seen.  We tried to buy 1 more item in the port area, but the vendors price was unreasonable, and we were too tired to bargain.  We had a late dinner, and then off to bed.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Panhandle Couple said:

Day 8  Puerto Quetzal

Another day, and a 3rd country we have never been to with this sailing.

Morning routine and 8 laps.  As you cruise up the coast into the port, the 4 volcanos are seen getting larger and larger.  Then an eruption from the Fire volcano got everyone watching them.  Then another.  In all 4 eruptions about 12 minutes between each kept everyone’s cameras busy.

image.thumb.jpeg.fe4fd942eed67cd4d91e7ec1f79adcee.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.5aa635b85d43ce713b3635a1dc2139ae.jpeg

Our tour was Antigua on Your Own.  Antigua is a 2 hour drive from the coast, through fields of sugar cane  and bananas, then up onto the sides of the volcanos with coffee plantations.  The drive was scenic after the first 40 minutes, and our guide did a very good job describing the country itself, and what we were seeing, how people live and chicken busses, etc. 

Thanks for the review. It’s nice to relive the experience and see what we missed. Did you see the volcano erupt while you were on the ship or on your tour? We stayed in the port area and did not see it. 

Chicken busses?? Please elaborate. 

So glad you enjoyed your cruise! Thank you for taking the time to post your detailed review and photos.  We’ve done four full transits of the Canal, and our first was from Miami to LA (on the NCL Jewel), so I’m particularly enjoying “revisiting” that route. 

19 hours ago, Panhandle Couple said:

During the whole transit process, there was a narration by someone, a tour guide?  The narration provided a lot of facts and history, BUT…was the most boring and flat tone of voice I have heard.  Think college professor droning on about Hungarian philosophy or something. 

The Panamanian authorities provide an on-board “narrator” for the transit.  Some are more interesting than others. I’m sorry yours was dull.  

Looking forward to reading about the rest of your cruise to LA. 

• Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, Candy Apple 12 said:

Thanks for the review. It’s nice to relive the experience and see what we missed. Did you see the volcano erupt while you were on the ship or on your tour? We stayed in the port area and did not see it. 

Chicken busses?? Please elaborate. 

Volcano eruption was before we went ashore.

Chicken busses are school bus sized local bus, but the owners deck them out with paintings, chrome, etc. I couldn't get a good picture of one.

• Like 2

Day 9  At Sea

We did our caffeine, croissants, and then 8 laps.  Breakfast at The Local.  Another session of trivia with Nickey and Bob.

My wife talked me into attending the hypno-therapist in the theater.  I was still tired and fell asleep when she did her self-hypnosis sessions.  As we walked out, I realized I missed the CC pub crawl while sleeping.  So sorry everyone.

Up to the Vibe for several hours of sunshine, drinks and hot tub.

Dinner was at Teppenyaki.  The chefs/performers were much better (both singing and cooking) than our last time there.  Also a few new songs to sing along to.  All in all, this was a laid back day.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Day 10  At Sea

The extra sea day was much like the day before. Caffeine, snacks, then 8 laps.  Quick breakfast at The Local.  More time sunning in Vibe.   I think it was this day that we discovered the “Shots at 5” celebration in the Vibe.  We had been leaving before 4, so missed them earlier.  The process is just as you would think, the very friendly bartenders lined up glasses and made specialty shots for those who wanted them.  Several times.  Dinner was at Taste.  No recall of what we had.

image.thumb.jpeg.70f581b570d7438709c77fd55e8ca845.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.35e8c6ff5d51c104c231cfd306215a90.jpeg

Drinks that night in outside Cavern Club allowed us to listen to the Beatles revival.

One note about this show.  We originally sailed Bliss in fall of 2018, when it was still new.  The Beatles show then featured 5 guys from England, with their accents, of course.  The guy who was Paul played bass left handed (like Paul) and had a good resemblance.  The group had a banter going between the songs, much like you would hear on the old Beatles documentaries.  We really enjoyed it.

Unfortunately, that rendition is gone.  The new one is from Argentina (3 we had seen in March of 2022) with a new George added this week. While they play the songs OK, and sing the songs OK, they just aren’t that convincing to us, after seeing them in 2022 and in the main theater earlier.  Our opinion.  Others may think they are great.  NCL needs an alternative, perhaps a band that does other British invasion songs from other groups of that era?

• Like 1

Day 11  Manzanillo MX

We slept late, and my wife was coming down with a head cold.  We had no excursion planned, our plan was to simply walk around town.  Manzanillo has a nice malacon, with a giant sail fish sculpture for photo ops.  Of course we obliged.   The town does not get a lot of cruise ships, so there are not the overbearing tourist traps and Street hawkers.  There are some souvenir shops of course, but as you walk into town it becomes more just stores for the locals.  Buried in there are some nice maintained buildings, a few interesting sights, a wall mural or two.

image.thumb.jpeg.0d105eb8661df9980086ae0906c80480.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.199667775affb2232bdfe061c985bbce.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.df1a062b0517fcff17fc41a7bb46d29b.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.be45449f6f9c8680e0126a7baedf3fe5.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.0db285baabb3f5b57f0044e50d84215b.jpeg

Leaving that area, we walked along the coast (4 blocks or so) to get to a regular pharmacy (vs store front) for some cold meds.  We found them and while returning, another couple (Jim and Debbie) coming the other way asked us if there was any bar back there.  We said no, but we passed one on the edge of the main part of town.  We went back and pointed it out to them, then joined them for a few.  The place was very nice, with an actual large round bar in the middle.  The owner inherited it from his father, who started it in the 1950’s.  His son was working there.  I bought one of his shirts, which is much more cooler than a std tourist shirt.

image.thumb.jpeg.e115bbf27218c888de8ca79f279adddd.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.b1e7fac104d5f3adaa2515db743fa845.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.a73aedcd8e87ba522dd3220156ec4390.jpeg

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Panhandle Couple said:

Chicken busses are school bus sized local bus, but the owners deck them out with paintings, chrome, etc. I couldn't get a good picture of one.

I loved seeing those buses.  No two alike, very colorful.  Here's one photo I was able to get, I hope you don't mind my posting it so folks have a visual of what you are talking about. 

Antiguabus.thumb.jpg.2a778f5426ba577b39ef6d712db5175e.jpg

(photo by turtles06)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1