Harbour Hotel Southampton or the Moxy

The Harbour hotel looks quite interesting. Wondering if anyone has stayed at the Harbour Hotel in Southampton pre-cuise? Are there shops, restaurants nearby? Is it a long taxi ride to the port in the morning and will it be difficult to get a taxi then?

In the past we have stayed at the Premier Inn near the shopping mall and found it to be very busy, crowded in the morning, and a little basic. The one thing we liked about the Premier Inn was using the dedicated phone to call a cab and being picked up at the back door. 

We also stayed at the Hilton Ageas Bowl once: interesting property (we had a pitch-view room), quiet, nice restaurant, good breakfast buffet, but it was a longer cab ride in the morning and it took awhile for the cab to show up.

Now debating the Moxy or the Harbour hotel for this trip. The Moxy looks like it might be similar to the Premier Inn. Seems like it is within easy walking distance of shops and restaurants, but will it be a big crush the morning of the cruise? We will still need a cab, and will that be a challenge with the mobs of cruisers? 

Posted (edited)

I've only stayed at the Moxy and just one night, and there were multiple ships in port the next morning.  When I checked in, I asked about arranging a cab for the next morning.  They had a list right there and just asked for my preferred time.  There were no mobs of cruisers that next morning.  It was very chill and the cab showed up right on time.  I suppose the need for a cab depends on the cruise terminal.  I was headed towards Princess at the Ocean terminal.

Edited by SomewhereGirl
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Location-wise you could throw a handkerchief over the "Leonardo Royal Hotel Southampton Grand Harbour", Moxy & Premier Inn West Quay. And add Holiday Inn (in Herbert Walker Ave) and boutiques Pig-in-the-Wall and Ennio's.

They're all convenient for city shops, malls & restaurants, for the pubs & few sights of the walled old-town (there's a reason for Pig-in-the-Wall's name), and for 3 of the city's 5 cruise terminals.  

But the Hilton at Ageas Bowl - and another Hilton at Chilworth - are on the city boundary, likewise the city's two Holiday Inn Expresses, so I'd be inclined to rule them out.

Note the ridiculously long title of the Leonardo Royal Hotel Southampton Grand Harbour

It used to be called the Grand Harbour Hotel. Its address is West Quay Road.

https://www.leonardohotels.co.uk/hotels/southampton/leonardo-grand-harbour

Its long name is an attempt to to avoid confusion with.............

The Leonardo Hotel. Was a Jury's Inn hotel when built, now the second Leonardo brand hotel in the city. Much less convenient city centre location, and in the middle of a gyratory traffic island.  Its address is Charlotte Place. 

https://www.leonardo-hotels.com/southampton/leonardo-hotel-southampton

and 

The Harbour Hotel Southampton (is this the hotel that you mean?). The city's only major 5-star hotel, a comparatively recent build. Broadly in the shape of a cruise ship, it juts out into Ocean Village Marina  - decades ago it was the cross-channel ferry port, now an area of up-market condos, a limited number of restaurants, cinema, etc., but only a single shop, a convenience store.  A super spot, but again not as convenient as those under the afore-mentioned handkerchief - but if you've got Harbour Hotel money the occasional short taxi hop won't break the bank. We've enjoyed sunday lunch there, and several evenings in its "HarBar on 6th", where prices are surprisingly reasonable. Its address is Ocean Village

https://www.harbourhotels.co.uk/southampton

Difficulties in getting a taxi to the cruise terminal depend on how many ships sailing that day, and whether it's a saturday. Always sensible to book the previous evening.

https://www.southamptonvts.co.uk/Live_Information/Shipping_Movements_and_Cruise_Ship_Schedule/Cruise_Ship_Schedule/ 

(currently only lists up to May '24)

JB 🙂

Edited by John Bull
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

We stayed at the Moxy in Southampton last August. Location was superb. Walk out the front door, turn left to corner and cross the street...you are at the gigantmall.  About a 10 min walk to train station (to Bath) for us overweight 75 year olds.

Moxy for me was   different from other hotels.  Tiny room. No 

closet..hooks. No TV. No telephone. Very clean and quiet.   But was fine for 2 nights. 5 min cab  ride to cruise terminal. 

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/15/2024 at 7:50 PM, Mrs f. said:

Moxy for me was   different from other hotels.  Tiny room. No 

closet..hooks. No TV. No telephone. Very clean and quiet.   But was fine for 2 nights. 5 min cab  ride to cruise terminal. 

Thank you for your contribution but I thought it rather odd that a brand new hotel in 2024 wouldn't have a TV and seems like you misremembered that detail.  Here's a photo of a room at the Moxy Southampton which clearly has a TV. 

souox-moxy-sleeper-4889-hor-wide.jpg?out

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, kwokpot said:

Thank you for your contribution but I thought it rather odd that a brand new hotel in 2024 wouldn't have a TV and seems like you misremembered that detail.  Here's a photo of a room at the Moxy Southampton which clearly has a TV. 

souox-moxy-sleeper-4889-hor-wide.jpg?out

My memory is quite good. Maybe some "premium  rooms" have tv. We did not have  one nor  did 2 other couples we hung out with when we were there. We all sat around discussing that.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Mrs f. said:

My memory is quite good. Maybe some "premium  rooms" have tv. We did not have  one nor  did 2 other couples we hung out with when we were there. We all sat around discussing that.

I don't mean to be argumentative but I have scoured the internet about the Moxy Southampton and cannot corroborate your account of no TV's in the room. If anything, it was the opposite, with people saying the big TV was the only positive thing in the room. All descriptions of the rooms at that hotels from multiple sources state there's a TV and I have yet to see a review that says otherwise. No closets, tiny rooms, yes, no TV, definitely not. 

https://www.pleasantholidays.com/Europe-Hotels-Moxy-Southampton#:~:text=All 208 of its guest,and drinks and a bar.

https://www.marriott.com/en-us/hotels/souox-moxy-southampton/rooms/

We stayed at the Harbour Hotel Southampton just this past September on the night before our cruise. It was lovely - great room, wonderful setting in the harbor and nice breakfast. They are very convenient to the port and offer shuttle service - just be sure to sign up for your time when you check in. We didn’t realize that was necessary and it was quite busy in the morning with many pre cruise guests staying in the hotel. We opted to just Uber over as we didn’t want to wait for the next available shuttle time which was Noon. 

I would absolutely stay there again. We are visiting Portsmouth prior to our cruise this summer, but otherwise I would definitely be booking at the Harbour Hotel. 

• Like 2

I stayed at the Moxy Southampton in November 2022.  Definitely had a TV in the room.  The room was smaller than most hotel rooms in the US but I found the size of room on par with a lot of hotels in Europe.  The bed was really comfortable, the staff was great and I really enjoyed my stay there.  Loved the kettle and tea bags in the room.  It''s true that you check in at the bar but the check in area is located at the end of the bar counter nearest the door and not any different than any other hotel check in.

Being a typical American, I talked to a lot of people in the hotel during breakfast, waiting for elevators, waiting for taxis and not one person complained about anything nor mentioned no having no TV in their room - and we Americans love our TVs 🙂 .

Morning of the cruise I got online on my phone and ordered my own taxi.  Arrived quickly and off I went.  Enjoyed my stay at the Moxy and have recommended it to several friends who have since tried it and also loved it.  It's not a luxury hotel but it's also not basic budget motel.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 1/28/2024 at 3:21 PM, karatemom2 said:

We stayed at the Harbour Hotel Southampton just this past September on the night before our cruise. It was lovely - great room, wonderful setting in the harbor and nice breakfast. They are very convenient to the port and offer shuttle service - just be sure to sign up for your time when you check in. We didn’t realize that was necessary and it was quite busy in the morning with many pre cruise guests staying in the hotel. We opted to just Uber over as we didn’t want to wait for the next available shuttle time which was Noon. 

I would absolutely stay there again. We are visiting Portsmouth prior to our cruise this summer, but otherwise I would definitely be booking at the Harbour Hotel. 

Thanks for the information. From what I am reading, I think this is the right choice for us. The possible shuttle is a bonus, although we are willing to Uber or take a cab as well. I will report back after our stay!

• Like 1

On 1/7/2024 at 6:48 AM, John Bull said:

The Harbour Hotel Southampton (is this the hotel that you mean?). The city's only major 5-star hotel, a comparatively recent build. Broadly in the shape of a cruise ship, it juts out into Ocean Village Marina  - decades ago it was the cross-channel ferry port, now an area of up-market condos, a limited number of restaurants, cinema, etc., but only a single shop, a convenience store.  A super spot, but again not as convenient as those under the afore-mentioned handkerchief - but if you've got Harbour Hotel money the occasional short taxi hop won't break the bank. We've enjoyed sunday lunch there, and several evenings in its "HarBar on 6th", where prices are surprisingly reasonable. Its address is Ocean Village

https://www.harbourhotels.co.uk/southampton

Yes! Sounds like an interesting hotel, and maybe a little removed from the pre-cruise crowds of the Moxy and Premier Inn.