Adriatic Excursion Recommendation

JerryInIL

Our May, Athens to Venice Adriatic cruise includes ports at Olympia, Corfu, Kotor, Dubrovnik, and Split.  What excursions in these ports (included or optional) did you particularly like (or dislike)?  Thanks !!!

We think the City Wall walk in Dubrovnik is a must see.  Just take the included tour into the city and get tickets to walk the wall on your own.  From outside the city walls, a short walk to Fort Lovrijenac.  An interesting and historic fortress with great views.  Plenty of Viking shuttle opportunities to get back to the ship afterwards

• Like 5

Agree, Dubrovnik wall is great! We also liked the included walking tour there, we did both of these. Be advised that there are over 1000 steps!  We enjoyed the included tour at Olympia around the ruins. 

We were in Zadar, and we really enjoyed the tour of the Krka Falls, which has been offered from Split. It’s a bit of a drive, but the falls in the national park were amazing, we love photography and nature. 

• Like 5

The Dubrava Falconry Center was one of the best excursions of our back to back in May/June of last year.

Also the included Ancient Olympia tour.  We had a very knowledgable and interesting guide.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, CDR2001 said:

Agree, Dubrovnik wall is great! We also liked the included walking tour there, we did both of these. Be advised that there are over 1000 steps!  We enjoyed the included tour at Olympia around the ruins. 

We were in Zadar, and we really enjoyed the tour of the Krka Falls, which has been offered from Split. It’s a bit of a drive, but the falls in the national park were amazing, we love photography and nature. 

Those steps have got to be killer for those with even slight mobility issues.

• Like 4

Note about walking the walls of Dubrovnik: I admit to not being as young as I used to be, and never being as fit as I wished to be. Yet the walls of Dubrovnik are spectacular. Only you know your own capabilities, but there is a compromise of sorts. There are two entrances to the walls. Of course, both entrances involve steep steps, and then more steps along the way.

My plan, which worked then, but I doubt it would for me these ten years later, was to join my husband for the first half of the walk, and then go back down. We met again at a pre-arranged location. I wandered through the museum at the Rector's Palace while he completed the walk. A traditional Croatian lunch gave us both time to rest after our exploration.

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, JerryInIL said:

Our May, Athens to Venice Adriatic cruise includes ports at Olympia, Corfu, Kotor, Dubrovnik, and Split.  What excursions in these ports (included or optional) did you particularly like (or dislike)?  Thanks !!!

We have been to all of these ports previously. Usually, we mix a few optional excursions with the included ones. Oddly, in the case of the five ports you mentioned, we took the included ones in each port and added in some time on our own afterwards. In each case, the locations seem compact and easy to navigate. We appreciated what we learned from the guides, developed some level of familiarity with the area, and then explored on our own.

In Corfu, for instance, we took the panoramic bus ride, and walked with the guide through the old town, but then went to the Old Fortress on our own.

Edited by lackcreativity

We took the Empires of the Med cruise last year and the most fun tour we did was the Corfu by 4x4 vehicle.  Two people per Suzuki 4x4 (they were pretty old/beat up but a lot of fun).  We drove up the tallest mountain in Corfu, stopped for a snack with wine or Ouzo in this tiny village and then a couple of more stops for the views/pit stop.  It was a blast and we saw a bit of Corfu that we would never have seen on a standard tour.