Need a walk thru! Getting off the Mardi Gras and getting the Budget shuttle to go pick up a rental car.

Host CMLA

Hey y'all.  I've searched for answers but haven't found exactly what I'm looking for.  We're sailing on the Mardi Gras this summer.  I've rented a car on debarkation day thru Budget.  Has anyone done this and can walk me through the process?

Get off the ship, go through customs, find the shuttle where? Can I take all my luggage with me or do I need to go get the car then return to get the rest of my party with luggage?  Thanks!

3 hours ago, JohninDC said:

What port?  What city?

Port Canaveral after a Mardi Gas cruise.  July 14, 2024.  Thanks!

I have done this many times.  There is a line for rental car shuttles at the port, you will see the Budget Vans come and go.  If you only have a few of you I would take your luggage with you to the Budget rental location.  It's easier because the traffic is so bad getting back into port Canaveral on embarkation day.  My suggestion is to do this ASAP if you can.  The budget rental counter is very busy on cruise days.  The line is sometimes out the door.

Does Budget offer kiosk check in for club / registered members?  That might save some time for prepaid reservations.

I've used kiosks at Hertz and Alamo in the past.  Not really a problem to use

18 hours ago, Djford75 said:

I have done this many times.  There is a line for rental car shuttles at the port, you will see the Budget Vans come and go.  If you only have a few of you I would take your luggage with you to the Budget rental location.  It's easier because the traffic is so bad getting back into port Canaveral on embarkation day.  My suggestion is to do this ASAP if you can.  The budget rental counter is very busy on cruise days.  The line is sometimes out the door.

Thank you for this information.  There will be 5 of us with 5 bags.  I'd love to get us all to the Budget place together to avoid having to go back to the mess of debarkation and people being picked up.  We're platinum and staying in a Presidential Suite so we qualify for the earliest walk off with our own luggage.  I'll scope it out when we embark to see where the line for rental car shuttles is.  Thank you again for the information.  

15 hours ago, Cienfuegos said:

Does Budget offer kiosk check in for club / registered members?  That might save some time for prepaid reservations.

I've used kiosks at Hertz and Alamo in the past.  Not really a problem to use

I'm part of Budget's loyalty program and I always get a text an hour or so before I pick up my rental with the spot number where my car is.  I never have to go to the counter or speak to anyone.  It's get in the car and go.  I can only cross my fingers that it works the same way.  My credit card is on file with them.  I show ID when I leave the lot.  

• Like 1

The Budget Cocoa Beach location is small.  They usually rely on people dropping cars off that morning that they rent back out to incoming cruise passengers.  There are no numbered spots like the Airports.  I am a fast break member as well, I love that process at the airport, unfortunately it doesn't work that way at the cocoa beach counter.  The lady there is very nice, been going there for almost 15 years. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Djford75 said:

The Budget Cocoa Beach location is small.  They usually rely on people dropping cars off that morning that they rent back out to incoming cruise passengers.  There are no numbered spots like the Airports.  I am a fast break member as well, I love that process at the airport, unfortunately it doesn't work that way at the cocoa beach counter.  The lady there is very nice, been going there for almost 15 years. 

Thank you.  I got spoiled by the ease of picking up at an airport.  Your response helps me prepare better.  Thanks again!

All rental car offices are crazy busy on cruise turnaround days. My family of three usually wait at the shuttle parking spot and wait for the shuttles to arrive. I have watched a few heated arguments turn into pushing and shoving matches. On one occasion approximately ten years ago we rented from Budget. The two shuttle buses operated by Budget were super busy. A Hertz shuttle bus arrived and the driver informed the Budget drivers he was only waiting for two families and he offered to help with transportation back to the Budget rental office.The Hertz driver received a nice tip for allowing us on his shuttle bus.

Edited by Corby114
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, Corby114 said:

All rental car offices are crazy busy on cruise turnaround days. My family of three usually wait at the shuttle parking spot and wait for the shuttles to arrive. I have watched a few heated arguments turn into pushing and shoving matches. On one occasion approximately ten years ago we rented from Budget. The two shuttle buses operated by Budget were super busy. A Hertz shuttle bus arrived and the driver informed the Budget drivers he was only waiting for two families and he offered to help with transportation back to the Budget rental office.The Hertz driver received a nice tip for allowing us on his shuttle bus.

I wonder if it would be worth it to get an Uber to take me from the ship to Budget?  Then return to get my family?  OR maybe that would be chaotic as well?  I can be one of the earliest off if that makes a difference.  

It's easier for me to leave my family at Port Canaveral with our luggage and hop on the shuttle by myself. I head over to pick up the rental vehicle and then return to Port Canaveral to pick up my family. One time some family members grabbed a cab because they had an early flight  leaving from MCO. I normally stay a few extra days and head south to Hallandale Beach Florida where I have a condo.

Edited by Corby114
  • Like 1