Question for the experts.

klfrodo

I've found that many/most times, even sitting at the gate, that FlightAware and/or Flightradar24 will update the flight schedule or the scheduled delay before the airline app does or even the gate agents. Where do these apps get their information and why are they able to update before the airline app or even the gate agents?

Thanks

Curious to know this too.  I use Tripit and it often gives me the gate information when I am sitting in a lounge long before the airline departure boards show this information.  And, it is rarely incorrect.

On 1/8/2024 at 9:54 AM, Zach1213 said:

Here's some info on how FlightRadar24 gets their info - https://www.flightradar24.com/how-it-works 

While I appreciate the information, I'm not sure the answer is there.

For a couple of examples:

1. As I'm driving to the airport, the airline app will state the departure gate. If I look at FlightAware or Flightradar24, both will show a different gate. More often than not, they are correct.

2. Been sitting in the lounge or at the gate, pull up one of the apps and it tells me that departure has been delayed 30 minutes. The airline board shows no change, and the gate agents aren't saying anything. Then about 20 minutes after they should have started boarding, they announce the delay.

3. I've even seen where the flight was cancelled, called the airline to start the rebooking process or finding another flight, and CS doesn't even know about the cancellation yet. 30 minutes later, the cancellation is announced.

I asked a senior FO for a major airline about this and they haven't a clue either. They said that they've had passengers inform them of delays that they didn't know about, and sure enough, closing the door was delayed.