QM2 Deck 8 staterooms smaller/shorter?

We've booked a Deck 8 stateroom for a Caribbean voyage but I see that these staterooms appear to be recessed from the decks above presumably due to the lifeboats.  Does anyone know if this means they are correspondingly a little shorter?  Looking at the deck plans they don't appear to have encroached any further on the interior of the ship than other decks above, but maybe the plans aren't that accurate.

qm2deck8.JPG

Posted (edited)

Deck 9 and 10 are Queens and Princess Grill suites that are indeed larger than most cabins on Deck 8 so Deck 8 looks recessed. According to cruise deck plans site, they have same square feet as other balcony cabins. 

Edited by NE John

Posted (edited)

YW. The Grills balconies are deeper so they stick out over Deck 8 balconies. I don’t believe it’s an illusion. You then see balcony cabins on Deck 11 and above look a little recessed again. 

Edited by NE John
  • Like 1

We have never had a Deck 8 Lifeboat Cabin during our stays on board in the past.

We prefer other decks we have selected in the past and always seem to prefer repeating.

We did once heading to the Library look inside a Deck 8 Cabin and seem that looking towards the Balcony there is a lesser space than a basic Britannia Cabin.

Once we had a PG and very much appreciated the space and upgrade deck furniture.

58 minutes ago, BklynBoy8 said:

We have never had a Deck 8 Lifeboat Cabin during our stays on board in the past.

We prefer other decks we have selected in the past and always seem to prefer repeating.

We did once heading to the Library look inside a Deck 8 Cabin and seem that looking towards the Balcony there is a lesser space than a basic Britannia Cabin.

Once we had a PG and very much appreciated the space and upgrade deck furniture.

We had 8003 back in 2010 [pre 'remastering'] only two doors from the Library [not obstructed].

This was  a day of sailing gift from the upgrade fairy, and it took some time for our luggage to arrive [was waiting in a crew area near our assigned BZ category room on deck 4].

The stateroom interior was identical to other Britannia balconies. Outside the door, the glass fronted balcony was a smidgen shallower than out typical sheltered balcony room. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I've stayed on Deck 8 twice, most recently in 2019. The rooms are quite roomy and having also stayed on decks 5 and 11 the room sizes were the same. Keep in mind that QM2 is built for rougher seas, and part of that is the balconies are either recessed (so the forward superstructure protects them) or set inside the hull. It works quite well too.

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, JT1101 said:

I've stayed on Deck 8 twice, most recently in 2019. The rooms are quite roomy and having also stayed on decks 5 and 11 the room sizes were the same. Keep in mind that QM2 is built for rougher seas, and part of that is the balconies are either recessed (so the forward superstructure protects them) or set inside the hull. It works quite well too.

Only time I saw passengers not really happy is when they did maintenance to the boats when docked or anchored.

Very noisy when they drop and raise them.

But passengers book them.

• Like 1

The deck 8 obstructed view balconies often offer great value. I've not noticed that the room size was any different to the sheltered balcony I've had. I've not experienced any work being done to the lifeboats but if I did I wouldn't complain as it goes with the territory. Booked one again for June.

• Like 2

The sheltered balconies tend to be darker than the obstructed ones we find, We prefer the obstructed ones as they offer great value for money and you still get lots of light and a view (of sorts) but still with plenty of space to sit out.  Friends of ours also had a sheltered balcony and their balcony doors were indeed smaller than the obstructed ones.

• Like 1