Final payment date

I received an email this morning that final payment date is coming on 1/22 for our cruise in April.   Does that mean I can pay on 1/22 or do I need to make payment before then?  Is there a time zone that that payment needs to be made by?   I usually don't wait until the last minute on anything, but I have a minor health issue that I'm tending to (went to doctor yesterday) and want to make sure that clears up.   

I purchased trip insurance when I made the deposit, so I think that if the situation doesn't clear up by sailing date that I'd likely be able to get a doctor's note saying not to travel.   But I'd rather not get that far and I've only paid $400 for insurance thusfar.  If I made the final deposit and contacted the insurance company, I would have to pay about $1,600 more in insurance.  We have international travel planned after the cruise, which is part of my hesitation.  

1 minute ago, Merion_Mom said:

What does it say on your invoice?

It really doesn't say anything in the email.  Here is what it says:

image.png.aaff5537abccd0a1faab9a2c2621f90b.png

So, it that by noon on 1/22 or midnight?   Eastern time or some other time?   Is it really 12/21 by midnight?  

I also looked at the attached invoice and nothing....  

7 minutes ago, Joe33472 said:

It really doesn't say anything in the email.  Here is what it says:

image.png.aaff5537abccd0a1faab9a2c2621f90b.png

So, it that by noon on 1/22 or midnight?   Eastern time or some other time?   Is it really 12/21 by midnight?  

I also looked at the attached invoice and nothing....  

At the bottom, it should give the dates for "penalty phase".  You must pay before the first level of penalty kicks in.

What is your date of embarkation?

1 minute ago, Merion_Mom said:

At the bottom, it should give the dates for "penalty phase".  You must pay before the first level of penalty kicks in.

What is your date of embarkation?

Our embarkation is 4/21.   

I guess if I pay on 1/22 that it would be okay....  I hopefully won't have to wait that long to make a final decision.   The medical issue should resolve before then.  I guess I just wanted to allow myself as much time as possible...

image.png.ca494aa0c83382fdc7695539062f4911.png

9 minutes ago, Joe33472 said:

Our embarkation is 4/21.   

I guess if I pay on 1/22 that it would be okay....  I hopefully won't have to wait that long to make a final decision.   The medical issue should resolve before then.  I guess I just wanted to allow myself as much time as possible...

image.png.ca494aa0c83382fdc7695539062f4911.png

Yes, looking at that, you must pay on January 22.  I would not wait past 5 P.M., just to be sure.  And that's ET.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Merion_Mom said:

Yes, looking at that, you must pay on January 22.  I would not wait past 5 P.M., just to be sure.  And that's ET.

Perfect.  Thanks for your help.  I definitely hope it doesn't go that long for us to make a final decision about the trip, but good to know.  Thanks again.  

• Like 1

I don't like to wait until the last moment to pay.  You know, life can get in the way sometimes.  If you happen to have an emergency (or just a bad day) on 1/22 and you happen to forget ... or if something goes wrong electronically, you might lose your reservation.  I like to make that final payment about a week ahead of time.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Mum2Mercury said:

I don't like to wait until the last moment to pay.  You know, life can get in the way sometimes.  If you happen to have an emergency (or just a bad day) on 1/22 and you happen to forget ... or if something goes wrong electronically, you might lose your reservation.  I like to make that final payment about a week ahead of time.  

I usually pay all my bills way in advance, just because you never know what could happen.   I'm also wondering about my credit card, if I'll have to call and let them know a large charge is coming.   

Personally, I would pay a day or two before to ensure that the payment is applied before on on 1/22.  I always allow for a day or two to make sure the payment clears. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Joe33472 said:

I purchased trip insurance when I made the deposit, so I think that if the situation doesn't clear up by sailing date that I'd likely be able to get a doctor's note saying not to travel.   But I'd rather not get that far and I've only paid $400 for insurance thusfar.  If I made the final deposit and contacted the insurance company, I would have to pay about $1,600 more in insurance.  We have international travel planned after the cruise, which is part of my hesitation.  

Why would the insurance cost increase (quadruple) after making final payment?  Are you adding to your trip once you're "locked in" to the cruise?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Another_Critic said:

Why would the insurance cost increase (quadruple) after making final payment?  Are you adding to your trip once you're "locked in" to the cruise?

At this point I've only insured the cruise deposits.  I did that mainly so we would have pre-existing health conditions coverage (I did that about a year ago).  Once all the final deposits are made, I will have to increase the insured amount.   I was holding off increasing the coverage amount until after the final deposit date. Because then I'm on the hook for the $2,000.    Most of our land based travel is with AirBnBs and I only booked places with liberal cancellation policies, so I didn't insure those costs.   The policy I got through Steve doesn't require that all costs are insured and it will still be $2,000, but it's a long trip with medical and evacation coverage.  Hopefully we won't have to use those!  

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
42 minutes ago, Another_Critic said:

Here is what my invoice says for my 4/21/24 sailing ...

Final Payment is due by 22 JAN 2024, 5:00 PM EST

I think we're on the same cruise!   Nothing on my invoice and nothing in my email that says that.   On the cruise planner website it even says that I don't have a balance due. 

image.png.1f09eeef4632c522b467b194bd487a3b.png

When I click on the link to pay it says this:

image.png.83ac2ea56d3196764a025b02f9ff4f01.png

Nothing about 5:00 p.m. EST

Edited by Joe33472

10 minutes ago, Joe33472 said:

I think we're on the same cruise!   Nothing on my invoice and nothing in my email that says that.   On the cruise planner website it even says that I don't have a balance due. 

image.png.1f09eeef4632c522b467b194bd487a3b.png

When I click on the link to pay it says this:

image.png.83ac2ea56d3196764a025b02f9ff4f01.png

Nothing about 5:00 p.m. EST

I booked my cruise via a travel agent.

We may be on the same cruise, but definitely not the same cabin category.  😄

Balance Due $331.94 (after paying deposit).

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Joe33472 said:

On the cruise planner website it even says that I don't have a balance due.

This is an ongoing glitch in the system. Many people (including me) are seeing that there is no balance due when we know there is a balance due. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Another_Critic said:

I booked my cruise via a travel agent.

We may be on the same cruise, but definitely not the same cabin category.  😄

Balance Due $331.94 (after paying deposit).

I like your balance due much better than my balance due.