Live From the Sapphire, 30-Day Antarctica/SA B2B, Jan 20 - Feb 19

@Ken the cruiser Hello. I just spend the last few days reading your live thread. Thank you so much for sharing.  I learned so much and took notes.
I just booked the Antarctica on the Sapphire in December a few weeks ago.  (Just came back from my first Alaska cruise!)  We are so excited for this journey.

Out of all the penguin excursions you did (I think 3-4), which one was your favorite?  Would you recommend all of them or one over the other?
Thank you for your time.

4 hours ago, rcprncss said:

@Ken the cruiser Hello. I just spend the last few days reading your live thread. Thank you so much for sharing.  I learned so much and took notes.
I just booked the Antarctica on the Sapphire in December a few weeks ago.  (Just came back from my first Alaska cruise!)  We are so excited for this journey.

Out of all the penguin excursions you did (I think 3-4), which one was your favorite?  Would you recommend all of them or one over the other?
Thank you for your time.

Bluff Cove (starting at post 315) was one of our favorites. But we also had a lot of fun seeing the elephant seals (starting at post 436) and then going to the Gentoo penguin rookery on the second part of the excursion. My suggestion, if your budget can handle it, is to book both a morning excursion as well as an afternoon excursion when you visit the Falkland Islands and as early as possible, as they not only go up in price the closer you get to embarkation day but many of the good ones sell out. Also, a lot of folks like the Volunteer Point excursion. But there is a lot of drive time associated with that all day on and it’s not cheap.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Ken the cruiser said:

Bluff Cove (starting at post 315) was one of our favorites. But we also had a lot of fun seeing the elephant seals (starting at post 436) and then going to the Gentoo penguin rookery on the second part of the excursion. My suggestion, if your budget can handle it, is to book both a morning excursion as well as an afternoon excursion when you visit the Falkland Islands and as early as possible, as they not only go up in price the closer you get to embarkation day but many of the good ones sell out. Also, a lot of folks like the Volunteer Point excursion. But there is a lot of drive time associated with that all day on and it’s not cheap.

Thank you for your reply. Bluff Cove is still available, plenty of times at $225 each.  Gentoo is sold out.  I appreciate your honest feedback.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, waltd said:

Its been a while but Patrick Watt tours came highly recommended.   Hope I got that right. 

I googled that and it is Adventure Falklands.  I actually have a tour booked with them. Thank you for the recommendation.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, rcprncss said:

Thank you for your reply. Bluff Cove is still available, plenty of times at $225 each.  Gentoo is sold out.  I appreciate your honest feedback.

I also recommend Bluff Cove. We went on the Bluff Cove excursion in Dec 2019 on our Princess South America/Antarctica cruise. It was an excellent excursion and could only be booked through the ship. In addition to great penguin viewing, the excursion also includes delicious pastries, treats and tea at the café there and a really nice gift shop with great quality items to purchase. 

Edited by erber
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, erber said:

I also recommend Bluff Cove. We went on the Bluff Cove excursion in Dec 2019 on our Princess South America/Antarctica cruise. It was an excellent excursion and could only be booked through the ship. In addition to great penguin viewing, the excursion also includes delicious pastries, treats and tea at the café there and a really nice gift shop with great quality items to purchase. 

Thank you.  I looked on their website.  It looks like a really great place. I like the bonus of pastries. 🙂 I appreciat eyou telling me.

• 2 weeks later...

Ken, thanks so much for all this great information, fabulous photo's and taking the time to answer everyone's questions.  I'm booked for the 35 day Ft.Lauderdale to Buenos Aires. You have provide great info on what to expect. I think you're now doing a live of Norway which is also on my bucket list so I'm anxious to read that report. 

• Thanks 1