Current situation with booking excursions, etc

tbmrt

I think some things have changed so I want to be sure I understand.

At this time if we booked an excursion on our credit card through the app before embarkation and want to cancel it, would the monies we paid get credited to loot?  

On another note, our plan upon embarkation:

1 couple makes show and event reservations for all

2nd couple makes excursion bookings for all 

Also have 3rd cabin

Since the cabin booking the above will get charged from their loot accounts, does everyone need to go to Sailor Services to move the charges to each cabin's loot or can one person do this for all? I think it would be too complicated for us to just break this up fairly amongst ourselves.

I managed to get dinner reservations for all of us the night before the 45 day mark, but it wasn't easy.

Thanks for your patience with me!

If you book in advance and cancel onboard it’s a credit towards a new booking for 24 hours and then it’s supposed to go back to your credit card. The fine print is a little confusing and we’ve never had to try it or find out so your mileage may vary. 

It’s a good call to split responsibilities upon boarding. Even if it’s just two of you in the same cabin. Even having someone just reviewing your agenda and confirming dining times is much faster than waiting for the app to tell you that you have a scheduling conflict. 

For shore things with a group you may be better off all going in person when you get onboard and have the crew do it so they can charge individual accounts. Sailor services can move charges (but not loot)  but you all need to be present at the same time to approve the account moves. 

• Like 1

Buy a shore things BEFORE embarking on the boat... Charge to credit card

Cancel BEFORE embarking on the boat, refund to credit card.

Cancel AFTER embarking on the boat, refund will be in sailor loot.

This is because Virgin Voyages has to payout commission on purchased items prior to embarking to the TA that sold the cruise to you.

Our Shore Things Policies 

Shore Things are fully refundable to the original form of payment. However, please note that Shore Things are only fully refundable if they are canceled at least 48 hours prior to the start of the booked Shore Thing taking place, unless stated otherwise in a specific Shore Thing 'Need to Know' section. If you fail to either (a) cancel at least 48 hours prior to the start of the booked Shore Thing (or alternative time period as may be stated in a specific Shore Thing 'Need to Know' section), or (b) show up for a booked Shore Thing, you will be charged for 100% of the Shore Thing price. 

If you make a cancellation prior to the first day of your voyage and at least 48 hours (unless otherwise stated in the tour details) prior to the start of your Shore Thing, you will be refunded to the original form of payment after midnight Eastern Standard Time (EST) on the day of cancellation.

If you make another purchase prior to midnight EST, after canceling a booking eligible for a refund, the credit from the canceled booking will be applied to your new booking. Therefore, you’ll only be charged for the price difference between the canceled and new experience. If you have remaining temporary credit left on your account after you’ve made another experience purchase, the remaining credit will be refunded to your original form of payment after midnight EST.

If you cancel a Shore Thing during your voyage and are eligible for a refund, a credit will be applied to your folio and NOT to your original form of payment.

For shore things with a group you may be better off all going in person when you get onboard and have the crew do it so they can charge individual accounts. Sailor services can move charges (but not loot)  but you all need to be present at the same time to approve the account moves. 

Wow lots to understand...So if one person books an event on the app onboard, i.e., loteria for 8 people at embarkation, she would get charged for all eight...There is no way to move the charges to each cabin's loot?  

On 1/14/2024 at 6:15 AM, -The-True-North- said:

Buy a shore things BEFORE embarking on the boat... Charge to credit card

Cancel BEFORE embarking on the boat, refund to credit card.

Cancel AFTER embarking on the boat, refund will be in sailor loot.

One detail to add.  From my experience, if you cancel after embarkation, the refund is in sailor loot unless you don't spend it.  Then they give you cash on the last night of the cruise for the amount that you haven't spent.  You'll have to go to Sailor Services on Deck 5.  So, if your shore thing was $100 and you cancelled it on board, you'll have $100 in sailor loot.  If your onboard expenses are, say $50, then they'll refund you $50 in cash.  One of my previous cruises, I went home with over $500 in cash.

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, kaysha2004 said:

One detail to add.  From my experience, if you cancel after embarkation, the refund is in sailor loot unless you don't spend it.  Then they give you cash on the last night of the cruise for the amount that you haven't spent.  You'll have to go to Sailor Services on Deck 5.  So, if your shore thing was $100 and you cancelled it on board, you'll have $100 in sailor loot.  If your onboard expenses are, say $50, then they'll refund you $50 in cash.  One of my previous cruises, I went home with over $500 in cash.

i wouldn't bank on this though - by the letter of their terms, they don't need to give you a cash refund.   it's supposed to just turn into sailor loot for use onboard.

i also experienced something similar.  i had an excursion that i booked before boarding and cancelled while onboard, then i used that loot to purchase another excursion that was subsequently cancelled.  it looked like we weren't going to blow through that refunded sailor loot, so i asked sailor services if they could do anything because the last excursion was technically a VV cancellation.  without skipping a beat, they asked if i wanted to close out my folio that night and just get a refund on my card (but wouldn't be able to make any charges for the rest of the night/disembarkation morning) or they could give me a cash USD refund.  while in both of our cases, we did get refunds, it seems like it may be a YMMV experience.

Most lines separate refundable and non-refundable onboard credit.  I haven't seen that clearly spelled out from VV, so don't depends on a refund for an excursion canceled on board,

VV seems to have a lot of "policies" that are almost at the whim of the crew member you are speaking with....sort of like whether or not unopened wine bottles can be purchased at restaurants.  I was told no, but was able to purchase from room service.  Others report no problem in purchasing.....

• Like 1