HAL Insurance + Allianz for Extended International Travel?

I know the topic of insurance comes up often, but I haven’t been able to find a previous post that talked about the pros and cons of purchasing multiple insurance plans for extended travel.

I’ve got two HAL cruises coming up this spring, with some time between and after where I’ll be traveling beyond my cruise bookings. I’ve got the HAL Platinum coverage on both (~$1000 total), and booked most of my airfare through Flight Ease. Because they’re international trips, and my health insurance doesn’t cover much if anything outside the US, and also because I’ll be traveling about 2 weeks on my own outside the HAL bookings, I thought it wise to get a separate travel insurance plan that includes medical coverage, like Allianz (which was quoted ~$500 for an annual plan).

My dilemma is whether to keep the HAL Platinum coverage (if it’s even possible to remove — I added it when booking, and I’m still before final payment on both cruises) and just get the Allianz, or whether it’s worth it to have both. I like the “cancel for any reason” option of the HAL coverage, but realistically, I’m not canceling this trip unless I’m in the hospital (which I don’t expect to be).

Thoughts? Advice?

34 minutes ago, erdufylla said:

My dilemma is whether to keep the HAL Platinum coverage (if it’s even possible to remove — I added it when booking, and I’m still before final payment on both cruises) and just get the Allianz, or whether it’s worth it to have both. I like the “cancel for any reason” option of the HAL coverage, but realistically, I’m not canceling this trip unless I’m in the hospital (which I don’t expect to be).

The Platinum (or the Standard) cancellation protection is not refundable after you pay for it. I never purchase it before I have to, which is when penalties kick in, normally at Final Payment Date.

As far as belt-and-suspenders insurance coverages, I have three protections for upcoming cruise: All non-refundable moneys back FOR COVERED REASONS through our Chase Sapphire Reserve card which we use for all payments -- NONE BY GIFT CARD. HAL standard CFAR (because it was not clear that CSR would cover changes in family members health). And I'm about to add GeoBlue Trekker Choice annual plan for our own health while travelling (we have three 35-day cruises booked for this year!). 

Don't feel bad about having the Platinum Cancellation Protection! It covers cancellation up to sailaway (you do have to contact them and not just not show up). Also some health coverage during the trip.

Cruise Critic has a board for insurance questions

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/499-cruisetravel-insurance/

Most answers come from Steve at the Trip Insurance Store. He does not offer Allianz plans, though.

• Thanks 1

Some people, including me, get good coverage through certain credit cards. I pay for an American Express platinum card, which gives me cancelation coverage and for very small fee, a little over $60, I  get extensive medical coverage for all trips paid for with the card.

The insurance pays for the card.

There are some other cards with similar coverage that others have mentioned.

I like to mention this because it has worked for me.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, YourWorldWithBill said:

Some people, including me, get good coverage through certain credit cards.

Thanks! I believe I get some minimal trip coverage with one of the cards I have, but it’s not nearly enough for a trip like this, and I don’t travel enough (at this stage, at least) to make it worth getting another card just for that benefit. This type of trip is one I’ll only be able to afford once every 5-10 years, unless my circumstances change. 😂

10 hours ago, crystalspin said:

The Platinum (or the Standard) cancellation protection is not refundable after you pay for it.

Thanks! I suspected that was the case, but I hadn’t investigated it yet. 

As far as belt-and-suspenders insurance coverages, I have three protections for upcoming cruise

Ok, good, so it sounds like multiple plans of coverage are a normal thing, and they’ll play together to fill in gaps and help cover what one or the other might not. 

Don't feel bad about having the Platinum Cancellation Protection! It covers cancellation up to sailaway (you do have to contact them and not just not show up). Also some health coverage during the trip.

Thanks! I’m feeling better about having it and less like I’m wasting money having one plan already and buying another on top of it. I appreciate your input and advice!

1 minute ago, erdufylla said:

Ok, good, so it sounds like multiple plans of coverage are a normal thing, and they’ll play together to fill in gaps and help cover what one or the other might not. 

Well, I don't know about how common doubling (or tripling) up is, but in my case it made the most sense. (1) We are older, (2) we divide spending time with my mom, between me, bro, and sis -- making everyone's health critical to the rest, and (3) we are taking more expensive trips and (having retired at the start of the pandemic) have fewer chances to replenish our wallets in case of an all-out cancellation. I mean, the money is spent either way, but losing ~$20,000 without getting a 35-day cruise for it is a blow!

I think many people think "travel insurance" should and does cover everything. But mostly any one product does NOT. Financial/cancellation and medical/evacuation are the big categories. Be sure to read the small print!

17 hours ago, YourWorldWithBill said:

I pay for an American Express platinum card, which gives me cancelation coverage and for very small fee, a little over $60, I  get extensive medical coverage for all trips paid for with the card.

Can you provide more info on the small fee for the extensive medical coverage. A link would be helpful, I know the standard American Express Platinum available to US residents offers no medical coverage, although it does offer some medical transportation.

22 hours ago, crystalspin said:

And I'm about to add GeoBlue Trekker Choice annual plan for our own health while travelling (we have three 35-day cruises booked for this year!). 

Thank you for mentioning this plan! When I ran my numbers and looked more closely at what I wanted to cover, I realized that the bulk of my expenses I’d want covered under trip cancellation/interruption coverage was going to be covered by the HAL CFAR Platinum plan, and what I really wanted to tack on was additional medical coverage, for when I’m not on one of the cruises, and to supplement what’s covered by the HAL plan when I am. The GeoBlue plan does that, and for a fraction of the cost of the Allianz plan. It’ll mean cutting my losses if anything happens during those two weeks I’m not on a cruise, but those expenses are honestly minimal compared to the rest of it.

Thank you!! 

If you drop a line to the TripInsuranceStore(.com), they will send you a link to apply for the Trekker (Essential or Choice) and it won't cost you any more. And you can ask any further insurance questions! Like, how far you have to be from home for the Trekker to kick in -- a figure I cannot find off hand.

Edited by crystalspin
  • Like 1

On 1/13/2024 at 1:23 PM, crystalspin said:

The Platinum (or the Standard) cancellation protection is not refundable after you pay for it. I never purchase it before I have to, which is when penalties kick in, normally at Final Payment Date.

As far as belt-and-suspenders insurance coverages, I have three protections for upcoming cruise: All non-refundable moneys back FOR COVERED REASONS through our Chase Sapphire Reserve card which we use for all payments -- NONE BY GIFT CARD. HAL standard CFAR (because it was not clear that CSR would cover changes in family members health). And I'm about to add GeoBlue Trekker Choice annual plan for our own health while travelling (we have three 35-day cruises booked for this year!). 

Cruise Critic has a board for insurance questions

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/499-cruisetravel-insurance/

Most answers come from Steve at the Trip Insurance Store. He does not offer Allianz plans, though.

Hi crystalspin,

One drawback to relying on the credit card's trip insurance is they don't cover pre-existing medical conditions of your self, traveling companions or a non-traveling family members.

As for insuring the trip cost, with some trip cancellation plans, you are not penalized for pre-existing medical conditions if you don't insure the full trip cost. This means you can insure the 10% or 20% the HAL plans doesn't refund you if you cancel your trip for a covered reason.

I hope this makes sense.

Steve Dasseos

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, crystalspin said:

Like, how far you have to be from home for the Trekker to kick in -- a figure I cannot find off hand.

Just chatted with Steve and he reminded me that GeoBlue/Trekker is ONLY out of the country. I was thinking of MedJet Assist that has the 150mi from home coverage!

2 minutes ago, crystalspin said:

Just chatted with Steve and he reminded me that GeoBlue/Trekker is ONLY out of the country. I was thinking of MedJet Assist that has the 150mi from home coverage!

That suits my situation just fine, as all I need is emergency coverage when I’m outside of the US. It’s good to note for people who want coverage for their US-based trips, though. 🙂

• Like 1

1 hour ago, erdufylla said:

That suits my situation just fine, as all I need is emergency coverage when I’m outside of the US. It’s good to note for people who want coverage for their US-based trips, though. 🙂

Hi erdufylla,

Here are the details on the Geo Blue Trekker plan:

https://tripinsurancestore.com/geo-blue-trekker-travel-medical-plans/

Steve Dasseos

• Like 1

On 1/14/2024 at 9:09 AM, Gilford57 said:

Can you provide more info on the small fee for the extensive medical coverage. A link would be helpful, I know the standard American Express Platinum available to US residents offers no medical coverage, although it does offer some medical transportation.

I might be wrong, but I seem to remember that the Platinum card covers up to $10,000 in medical costs if the trip is paid for (not booked) with AmEx. To look at more coverage, you have to log onto your account, then click on the menu on the left. Click on "travel", and one of the list will be travel insurance.

You have to give them the info for the trip, then it can get tricky, as it looks as if there is a huge cost for trip cancellation, but that is already covered by the card.

Whenever I've had doubts I've just called them and they are always helpful.