Danube water levels 2024 and similar topics - plus tips and info

notamermaid

Ah, as I thought, no access to the river banks.

River level at Passau stable, but with the Regen still draining a higher than normal volume of water and the Isar supplying much water as well, a further rise (after this little dip during today) is expected for tomorrow afternoon. Flood warning level 3 looks likely. The Isar near its mouth, flood warning level 2:

image.png.cb955cf9b1cbbd78da15fdc752c8ab92.png

notamermaid

• Like 1

Korneuburg gauge is now showing more stable figures, the fast rise is over. Forecast suggests minimally lower figures during the night with a real improvement in 12 to 18 hours. But the level will stay far above the line permitted for river traffic. As I have mentioned before, the Austrian authorities do not stick to that as much as the German authorities do.

notamermaid

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, moonriver54 said:

This is very sad news.

Yes, people have lost their lives. The floods are dramatic and will continue to cause danger to life especially in the Czech Republic and Poland. More rain is forecast there. I have just watched some German coverage of the situation along the Neisse River, in Silesia and the Giant Mountains range.

notamermaid

• Like 2

Hi All

Just read about the flooding in Eastern Europe and I thought I’d have a look on here to see how the Danube is fairing. 

Notamermaid, Steamboats, you might remember that back in May/June I was stuck in Deggendorf on the TUI Isla. Keep a look out for her current cruise. It’s the return relocation cruise from Frankfurt to Budapest. I wonder where she’ll get stuck this time? Hopefully TUI have learned from our situation and find a more substantial mooring?

take care you guys and keep up the informative good work.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Yorkieboy1972 said:

Notamermaid, Steamboats, you might remember that back in May/June I was stuck in Deggendorf on the TUI Isla.

I remember well. 🙂 And actually thought about you and the Isla yesterday. Thank you for your kind words. Will definitely have a look. If she is still on the Main river things are looking promising for a good sailing as she is going with the flow literally.

A different ship is unlucky (although criticism is uttered in this case as well) in Vienna. The passengers are stuck on the ship and supposedly not even allowed to leave, i.e. no one is coming to pick them up by boat.

Report from Switzerland on the Thurgau Prestige in Vienna, with video, German language: https://www.srf.ch/news/international/unwetter-in-wien-schweizer-flussreisende-in-wien-gestrandet

Do watch the video if you are interested, folks, as the footage is from the Nussdorf landing stages, which I have mentioned in a bit more detail lately.

Edit: news articles in English language are easy to find when searching for Vienna stranded Swiss ship.

notamermaid

Edited by notamermaid
added info
  • Like 1

Lower Austria is officially in a state of emergency. Several roads are still blocked in the region.

Passau gauge is in that little dip and forecast to rise again later today. The Regen is draining fast and therefore looking a bit better today. That water has arrived in Regensburg so gauges will rise soon downstream from there, eventually getting to Passau. The city also has to take the water from the Isar which is likely to rise a little as well during the day at its mouth.

notamermaid

• Like 1

I want to thank all the locals, especially notamermaid for taking the time to help those of us who aren’t familiar with the local geography. We are on a Viking Longship embarking in Passau on Tuesday September 24th, it has been so helpful to hear about all of the water flow that affects the Danube. Sounds like with the current situation we are fortunate to be starting in Passau instead of Budapest, whatever slim chance we have getting to cruise down the Danube our odds seem higher starting in Passau. I know Viking will take care of us (just wish they would do more communication) and make this a great trip. Our thoughts and prayers with the people who live in this part of the world. Finally would love to hear of any experiences of travelers that are currently in the region and how their cruise lines have treated them.

• Like 4

Yes, thank you to all who are updating this thread with the current conditions on the Danube. Our thoughts are will all of the locals and their loved ones.

We are on a Viking Longship that is planned to embark upstream from Budapest on September 22nd with arrival in Regensburg on the 29th. We are all very unfamiliar with Danube river cruises and Viking has given us no information so far. We have spoken to Viking representatives on the phone and they have said as there have been no changes to our itinerary at this point and have no notes in their system regarding any anticipated changes to our sailing. I find this very hard to believe. I wish that Viking would issue some sort of statement. 

Honestly, I am not sure what to do at this point as we leave on the 19th to spend a few days in Budapest before we embark. Not sure if it makes sense to continue with our plans or to cancel our current trip and book another later on. We have obviously been looking forward to this trip, but we really do not want to get there and have to take buses to our destinations, etc.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, luv2trvlmep said:

I want to thank all the locals, especially notamermaid for taking the time to help those of us who aren’t familiar with the local geography. We are on a Viking Longship embarking in Passau on Tuesday September 24th, it has been so helpful to hear about all of the water flow that affects the Danube. Sounds like with the current situation we are fortunate to be starting in Passau instead of Budapest, whatever slim chance we have getting to cruise down the Danube our odds seem higher starting in Passau. I know Viking will take care of us (just wish they would do more communication) and make this a great trip. Our thoughts and prayers with the people who live in this part of the world. Finally would love to hear of any experiences of travelers that are currently in the region and how their cruise lines have treated them.

Agree with this 100%.  We are scheduled to go from Budapest to Nuremberg on the 26th.  This thread convinced me to keep proper perspective and not fret about what we can't control, especially given the hardship locals are experiencing (been there...).

There are worse things than a less than perfect vacation!  And I am confident we'll make it to Munich for the end of Oktoberfest which should soften any disappointments prior.

Thanks again to the info posters, we'll keep watching with an optimist's eye.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Shoegazer said:

Honestly, I am not sure what to do at this point as we leave on the 19th to spend a few days in Budapest before we embark. Not sure if it makes sense to continue with our plans or to cancel our current trip and book another later on. We have obviously been looking forward to this trip, but we really do not want to get there and have to take buses to our destinations, etc.

Before thinking of a cancellation look at the fineprint of your travel contract. Usually cancelling on short notice means losing most, if not all, money paid.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Yes, thank you to all who are updating this thread with the current conditions on the Danube. Our thoughts are will all of the locals and their loved ones.

We are on a Viking Longship that is planned to embark upstream from Budapest on September 22nd with arrival in Regensburg on the 29th. We are all very unfamiliar with Danube river cruises and Viking has given us no information so far. We have spoken to Viking representatives on the phone and they have said as there have been no changes to our itinerary at this point and have no notes in their system regarding any anticipated changes to our sailing. I find this very hard to believe. I wish that Viking would issue some sort of statement. 

A lot can happen between now and the 22nd.  We've had several river cruise impacted by low or high water.  Sometimes hours can be the difference between sailing and not sailing.

None of those times have either Viking or Vantage given us heads up on water conditions and plan B or C.  If you don't have cancel for any reason insurance, then your options are limited.  If you do have insurance, read it carefully and make your call.  We didn't have insurance, so an easier decision for us.

Try and relax, hard as it can be.  Viking at least has plenty of practice in dealing with low water. And yes that experience can be a bus trip.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

That is a tough decision. Honestly, going to a country that is in a state of emergency (Austria) should out of the question, Budapest is still awaiting the brutal wave so on the 19th I truly cannot imagine the city being in a good state. It is the 16th now...

The problem is that Viking is nor forthcoming and the lack of communication is a bit of a problem. It is essential that you read the fine print, I agree with AnhalterER1960. If there was a way of changing your pre-cruise stay I would do it. At this point in time, your ship may be able to sail on the 22nd, but it is very difficult to say. Obviously, your ship or a sister ship needs to be in Budapest to await you. It may be unfair but I need to utter my frustration again over what I see as sub-standard communication from the company. It has happened that passengers have arrived in the country to find that their ship cannot sail on the day it is supposed to. I understand your concern.

Would it help to check your ship's progress on a tracker website?

I have not had much time to keep an eye on the situation today, but the flooding is some of the worst the Danube in Austria, Slovakia and Hungary has seen in decades so life will not return to normal within three days at all. With itineraries upset and ships in wrong positions now, companies will struggle to get them back on track.

I am about to watch the news and will get some more info. Returning to keyboard later in the evening.

notamermaid

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, AnhaltER1960 said:

Before thinking of a cancellation look at the fineprint of your travel contract. Usually cancelling on short notice means losing most, if not all, money paid.

Thanks to everyone for the replies. 

We did buy trip insurance. I should have mentioned that. If we cancel at this point, it looks like we would be given a credit with Viking that would have to be used within a year. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Shoegazer said:

Thanks to everyone for the replies. 

We did buy trip insurance. I should have mentioned that. If we cancel at this point, it looks like we would be given a credit with Viking that would have to be used within a year. 

Which is a good reason to buy outside insurance. Like Allianz. You’re not forced to travel with Viking in the future, which, the way they treat customers in irregular operations, I’m not sure who would want to. Their corporate culture is to keep the customer in the dark. They are neither forthcoming or transparent.  They have a history of lying, telling the customers “oh. Everything’s fine. Get on the plane!” And the next day, when you step foot on the ship it’s “sorry! Unfortunately we’ll not be able to sail. We will bus you to all the sights and come back to the ship every night.”

• Haha 1

33 minutes ago, Kenster said:

telling the customers “oh. Everything’s fine. Get on the plane!” And the next day, when you step foot on the ship it’s “sorry! Unfortunately we’ll not be able to sail. We will bus you to all the sights and come back to the ship every night.”

While this is a somewhat extreme scenario, I agree that it has happened. We have had a few reports to such an effect over the years. Generally speaking it appears the policy of Viking to provide you with the holiday experience as best they can under the circumstances instead of cancelling the river cruise. Which sounds good but the effect is that they will let you on the ship do whatever they think is a good way of seeing the sights, that is they have provided you all the ports and for the inconvenience give you the chance to try all over again, i.e. voucher. I personally just do not fully agree with this. My blunt, honest opinion. Sorry. The Viking product is fantastic in good weather, etc. but when things go wrong I have gathered over the years that other companies' way of handling vouchers and refunds I prefer over Viking.

So back to the problem. Would I go to Budapest tomorrow? No. Would I go to Budapest the day after? No. If one is not happy with the uncertainty that lies in the days after that, accepting a voucher may be the option to take. Hard to judge.

moonriver54 provided a graph for Budapest earlier, which has a bit more detail than this one I give you. This version has the forecast added (which was published this morning). The wave is now fully hitting Hungary:

image.png.fde791da969f8e119a0d777e247ee488.png

notamermaid

Edited by notamermaid
grammar
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Just a word on communication: I understand that travellers who had spent thousands a long time ago for their cruise want to know what will happen.
BUT:... It is a very dynamic situation, rain and water level forecasts, sailing bans change by the hour. And rearranging a cruise programme is not only about sailing /not sailing, possible ship swaps, also securing and/or retiming provision, transfers, bus capacities, visiting slots in the sites, guides. And all this in areas, where the authorities and the people are fighting for their existence, property, some even health and lives. Luxury problems of tourists are not top of the agenda. 
You can be sure, the people in the offices of the cruise lines are busy to produce alternative plans, according to the -changing- situation. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

To Austria. The situation is really bad, but on the news it was suggested that it is under control, military is helping out. They are worried about a few dams but seem to be doing a good job at protecting them so far.

Korneuburg gauge has peaked, meaning the level should be minimally falling in Vienna now. As of now, river traffic in Austria is still suspended downstream from just after Linz.

Passau gauge is rising again. 753cm, which makes a suspension of river traffic a likelihood in the next 12 hours.

notamermaid

• Thanks 3

15 hours ago, Yorkieboy1972 said:

I wonder where she’ll get stuck this time?

The TUI Isla is in Nuremberg and will face the infamous bridge at Bogen presumably late tomorrow or the day after.

Schwabelweis gauge nearby is rising, but is not getting close to official flooding. Pfelling gauge may rise to that first warning level. We cannot say yet if it will come close to the possibility of a river traffic ban.

18 minutes ago, AnhaltER1960 said:

sailing bans change by the hour

They do. In Austria things went a bit chaotic for a bit as sections of river went in and out of bans a couple of times.

It can be unlucky timing for those already sailing. I really think that the Viking Gymir was trying hard to get to Vienna before the ban came and was just a bit short on time. The ship is now of course still in Tulln where it had to return to.

This minimal reduction in river levels we are seeing in Austria after Passau so this will look better at first and then the levels will rise again. In Linz it looks like this:

image.thumb.png.06512cc43bc2863c43d46633832702e4.png

notamermaid

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

So how do German companies react? There are cancellations of upcoming cruises and river cruises have ended early. Too much detail to tell you all of it, here are statements and info. A translation program should do a good job: https://www.touristik-aktuell.de/nachrichten/news/datum////hochwasser-reiseabbrueche-und-absagen-von-flusskreuzfahrten/

From another website, about nickocruises:

"Auf [sic!] die nickoVISION von nicko cruises kann aufgrund hoher Pegelstände ihren Fahrplan nicht einhalten. Das Schiff sollte ursprünglich am heutigen Montag, den 16. September 2024 zum Ende einer zweiwöchigen Donau-Kreuzfahrt in Passau liegen. Die Fahrt zurück bis nach Passau war allerdings nicht möglich, weshalb die nickoVISION seit Samstag, den 14. September 2024, in Komárom in Ungarn an der Grenze zur Slowakei liegt. Die Ausflüge ins ursprünglich für Samstag geplante Reiseziel Bratislava fanden per Bus statt. 

Weil die nickoVISION nicht mehr weiterfahren konnte, entschloss sich nicko cruises schon am Sonntag für eine Ausschiffung der Gäste. Sie wurden per Bus nach Passau gefahren und konnten sich dort am Sonntag entweder für die Heimreise oder für eine Hotelübernachtung auf Kosten von nicko cruises bis zum ursprünglich geplanten Reiseende am heutigen Montag entscheiden. Gäste der nickoVISION berichten von einem reibungslosen Ablauf trotz der herausfordernden Situation."

So the cruise on the NickoVision was ended early and the guests are happy with the organisation.

English report:

https://www.travelmarketreport.com/cruises/articles/central-europe-floods-how-river-cruise-companies-are-adapting

For passenger comments you may want to have a look on the typical platforms on social media.

notamermaid

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Before our TUI Isla debacle this year,we had 5 lovely days of a 11 day cruise.We received 7 days prorata refund  of the total cost of the cruise including flights plus £200 TUI voucher and £50 spend at the airport.We were probably only entitled to 6 days minus flights.We used all this for a 7 day AI land hol and 50% towards a Med cruise.We can't complain.Brian.

• Like 4

The following is an extract from a report about mid Europe flooding on the BBC news website today.

"Hungary is bracing itself for floods in the coming days. Warnings are in force along 500km (310 miles) of the Danube.

The river is rising by about a metre every 24 hours, with Budapest's mayor offering residents a million sandbags to protect against floodwaters.

Some tram lines will not operate, while roads along the river will be closed in the Hungarian capital from Monday evening. Trains between Budapest and Vienna have also been cancelled."

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1