Working while on Valiant Lady

Maritime Mom

Cruise booked for 1/27/24 on Valiant Lady. Looks like for me to be able to go, I will need to plan to work a few hours each day during our trip. Anyone have any experience working remotely from this ship? WiFi speed and connectivity issues?

10 hours ago, Maritime Mom said:

Cruise booked for 1/27/24 on Valiant Lady. Looks like for me to be able to go, I will need to plan to work a few hours each day during our trip. Anyone have any experience working remotely from this ship? WiFi speed and connectivity issues?

Valiant Lady was terrible with high speed internet during our Thanksgiving cruise. I stream video from most every cruise ship we sail now and Valiant was not only unable to stream video for the entire 8 days, but trying to work onboard was like working with dial up speeds. Yet Scarlet Lady works perfectly with high speed. I was on Scarlet last week for 4 days and it was nearly as fast as the speeds I have at home.

No clue why Valiant is so bad but this past November it was absolutely terrible with no bad weather in sight to mess with the signal. 

Valiant Lady was horrible even with Premium internet over Christmas this year definitely not useable if working onboard.  Scarlet Lady Internet is good, and you should be able to work from the ship.  The difference between the two ships is Scarlet Lady is using O3B from SES at least that was the carrier in November 2023, Valiant Lady is using Starlink.

16 hours ago, Maritime Mom said:

Is mobile roaming available from your cell provider at your ports of call? You'd be able to use cell data while in port at least, even if onboard Wi-Fi isn't great.

We were MRS and had premium on Valiant on their holiday cruise over Christmas and thought the WiFi was good. Examples… I was able to use zoom for zoom video calls( work), many WhatsApp video calls, emails and surfing the net all fine, streaming music from Apple and videos from YouTube all perfect. Maybe I was lucky, but it seemed to work well certainly within the cabin anyhow. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, afurman said:

Valiant Lady was horrible even with Premium internet over Christmas this year definitely not useable if working onboard.  Scarlet Lady Internet is good, and you should be able to work from the ship.  The difference between the two ships is Scarlet Lady is using O3B from SES at least that was the carrier in November 2023, Valiant Lady is using Starlink.

I was on the Valiant over Christmas too -- trying to work -- and can confirm that the premium internet was garbage. I am assuming it was because the ship was full and it was being heavily utilized. Port days were fine.

1 minute ago, WhyWeCruise said:

I was on the Valiant over Christmas too -- trying to work -- and can confirm that the premium internet was garbage. I am assuming it was because the ship was full and it was being heavily utilized. Port days were fine.

How odd we had different experiences, wonder if had to do with access points on the ship or something. I certainly was able to work fine throughout , both port and sea days.