True test to determine if you are truly a lover of food.

lenquixote66

In 2011 I was posting a lot to a guy on CC.During the course of back and forth posting he mentioned that a restaurant in Mystic CT.has the best seafood he had ever eaten.I was interested in hearing more about the restaurant so we exchanged e-mails .I live 5 hours from Mystic and I would have to convince my wife who is the family driver to make the trip.

Somehow I did and we had a great meal and a wonderful conversation .The guy and his wife mentioned their favorite cousine and I replied there is a great ……restaurant close to where I live .He and his wife made their 5 hour trip.

I'm not sure I'd drive anything like 5 hours for a meal. But I live on this small island off the coast of Northern Europe - I think our concept of distance may be different to folk who live in large countries. We usually reckon on only driving a maximum of 60 minutes for our weekly "date night" meal. Anything more than that gets planned as a short break, even if only an overnighter. 

By the by, we visited Mystic some years and I recall some good meals there. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Harters said:

By the by, I have flown to another country, just for a meal. Flew  to Amsterdam; had a rijsttafel at Tempo Doeloe, slept at the hotel, came home. 

How far is that from where you reside ?

About an 80 minute flight from Manchester. Just under 500km. 

My partner used to work for Shell, which is headquartered in the Netherlands, and used to travel regularly for meetings. The Europe-wide team they were part of, used to meet at a hotel at the airport, so was there and back in the  day, never actually seeing anything of the country. 

On 1/19/2024 at 4:00 AM, Harters said:

By the by, I have flown to another country, just for a meal. Flew  to Amsterdam; had a rijsttafel at Tempo Doeloe, slept at the hotel, came home. 

When DW turned 50 (we will not mention when that happened) I surprised her with a long weekend trip to Paris (her favorite city in the world).  Although there is many things we love about Paris, it is the cuisine that is always a magnet for our visits.  For my 50th (decades ago) DW surprised me with dinner reservations at Le Bec Fin (arguably one of the best USA restaurants at the time).  To say we are "foodies" is an understatement.  But loving food does not always mean going to very expensive restuaurants.  Here in Puerto Vallarta (our winter home) we both look forward to the amazing local tacos al pastor!  These can cost as little as a dollar!

Hank

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

loving food does not always mean going to very expensive restuaurants.

Completely agree. Most of the places we go to regularly are just nice neighbourhood restaurants. And I enjoy a lunch of "rice and three" at one of the city's "curry cafes" - a plate of rice and three different curries from the six or so on offer that day - for about £6 (about $7.50). But I do enjoy an upscale meal from time to time - for my 60th we went to the Fat Duck, nearish to London and then rated as the third best restaurant in the world. 

2 hours ago, Hlitner said:

When DW turned 50 (we will not mention when that happened) I surprised her with a long weekend trip to Paris (her favorite city in the world).  Although there is many things we love about Paris, it is the cuisine that is always a magnet for our visits.  For my 50th (decades ago) DW surprised me with dinner reservations at Le Bec Fin (arguably one of the best USA restaurants at the time).  To say we are "foodies" is an understatement.  But loving food does not always mean going to very expensive restuaurants.  Here in Puerto Vallarta (our winter home) we both look forward to the amazing local tacos al pastor!  These can cost as little as a dollar!

Hank

I have never been to Paris or even Europe .My goal was to tour as much of North America as possible and after achieving that goal to go to South America.