Iphone use with internet package

5 hours ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

I posted a question concerning this issue recently. I have an IPhone and have never been able to text people without IPhones when cruising on RCI (and Celebrity too). Several people suggested turning on WiFi calling, which I plan to do on my next cruise in a few weeks on Icon. Hopefully it will work since I have lots of friends with android phones. 

I just verified that texting in a group where someone has an Android phone, and I am on a cruise, messes things up.  I don't get messages.  

Some information, hopefully helpful:

Many phones require you to be connected to your cellular network to set up Wi-Fi calling. This means you cannot set it up when you are out at sea. Set it up at home before you leave.  Once it is set up you can turn it on and leave it on. (For example, iPhones on Verizon MUST be connected to the Verizon network to set up Wi-Fi calling.)

When you are at home you can turn on airplane mode and turn on Wi-Fi to test your Wi-Fi calling. This forces your calls to go through Wi-Fi. If it doesn't work you can get it fixed now instead of trying to fix it on the ship.

For a good test of your phone's functionality on a ship turn on airplane mode and turn on Wi-Fi at home - anything that works will work on the ship with a Voom Internet package and anything that doesn't work will not work on the ship. Calling, texting, apps, etc.

Edited to add: Wi-Fi calling means you are making calls through a Wi-Fi connection to the Internet, instead of making calls through the cellular network. Your call travels over the Internet and gets connected into the cellular network at some point. 

Edited by SG65CB
More info