Currency Help Please

SamJL

I'm going on my first cruise in March.  I'm on Seabourn Encore for 14 nights, visiting Vietnam, Cambodia and Thailand and I'd be grateful for some advice on how much cash I should take for when I leave the ship.  From what I'm learnt, I'll need US$ for tips on the ship and for Cambodia.  In Vietnam the Dong is used, but I'm not sure how many ATMs I will encounter, same for the Thai Baht.  If you've taken this trip, I'd be grateful for your advice.  Many thanks in advance.

We took some Dong on a cruise that called in Vietnam..found it difficult to work out conversions as the numbers were so high. We were travelling on a ship which used US Dollars and were much happier converting prices from Dollars to Pounds. Merchants were happy to take Dollars and we knew prices we were dealing with. Must admit this was the year before Covid, so things might have changed. What you intend doing  will determine how much money you need. We were only in Vietnam for one day and had a trip booked (Ho Chi Minh City, on your own- through Princess )so didn’t need too much…lunch which we used Credit card for, a couple of soft drinks throughout the day and quite a few small souvenirs..think we would have been OK with £100 each in Dollars or Dong. Or get some Dong if you’re good at Maths conversions and have Dollars as back up. Didn’t look into ATMs, sorry.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, SamJL said:

I'm going on my first cruise in March.  I'm on Seabourn Encore for 14 nights, visiting Vietnam, Cambodia and Thailand and I'd be grateful for some advice on how much cash I should take for when I leave the ship.  From what I'm learnt, I'll need US$ for tips on the ship and for Cambodia.  In Vietnam the Dong is used, but I'm not sure how many ATMs I will encounter, same for the Thai Baht.  If you've taken this trip, I'd be grateful for your advice.  Many thanks in advance.

On Seabourn, it is usually best to put a contribution to the Crew Fund on your account.  No need for cash.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Reina del Mar said:

Or get some Dong if you’re good at Maths conversions

When we travel anywhere intl I made a little note that goes in my wallet:

$1 = 

$10 =

Etc. Gets me close enough. If I'm going for something expensive easy enough to do the conversion.

• Like 1