Galveston -- Easy boarding Regal today Jan 21, 2024

Paula_MacFan

We arrived at the terminal at 10:40 and we're in our room right now at 11:15. We had reserved parking across the street, easy walk into terminal, no waiting outside. Quick check-in through the Green Lane and immediately boarded ship, no waiting in the lounge. One of our quickest embarkation experiences ever in Galveston.

Side note the Regal is at Terminal 25 today and not 28.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 2

Our room was ready at boarding but they announced not all rooms were. It's a quick turnaround day here leaving at 3pm.

Another random observation -- we've already seen an usual amount of kids, probably 30 or so just in the last 30 minutes. We have sailed this week many times (birthday week) and there are usually very few children.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Loritd said:

We are taking the Regal in March and would like to know what is the name of the reserved parking outfit you used.  

We used this site. If you follow them on FB they have coupon codes. We parked directly across from the ship in a covered garage for $130 which included tax. They email you a code for the gate, but there were attendants there this morning checking people in and helping park.

You might check your pier assignment on the port website too. We were at 25 but the Regal has been at 28.  

Edit to add they have other options besides the covered garage.

https://www.portofgalveston.com/240/onlinespecial?gad_source=1&gclid=Cj0KCQiAnrOtBhDIARIsAFsSe53_zG3V49ok8ZbKN7WayPYD_kYIRdQ-NpFwxShpM5OlGK7NMp1bcZ8aAk5hEALw_wcB

Edited by Paula_MacFan
  • Like 2

• Host Carolyn changed the title to Galveston -- Easy boarding Regal today Jan 21, 2024

Paula, great to hear how smooth and quick your boarding was. I'm leaving on the same ship a week from today, so I'm hoping it's just as successful. Looking forward to further posts from you  - enjoy yourselves!

• Like 1

I'm aboard the Regal now. Boarding was a matter of minutes. One of the best I've experienced. 

The transfer from IAH was another story, but that's another story. Great job all around at the port of Galveston. 

• Like 1

Paula, very much appreciate reporting your experience !  

Although you may still experience the trauma of "no blue princess bag" upon arrival" ....OR ...NO towel animal on your bed OR even worse....no piece of chocolate on your pillow.... Please  attempt to have a memorable and safe cruise!...

we love the crew on the Regal!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

32 minutes ago, tml1230 said:

Paula, very much appreciate reporting your experience !  

Although you may still experience the trauma of "no blue princess bag" upon arrival" ....OR ...NO towel animal on your bed OR even worse....no piece of chocolate on your pillow.... Please  attempt to have a memorable and safe cruise!...

we love the crew on the Regal!

Thanks!! Somehow we will survive 😀

Good thing we have 2 blue tote bags in our suitcases! 

We just got off but last week we also had an easy embarkation. We boarded on Jan 14th. We left our hotel at 9:30 and we were on board by 10:30. We parked at the Express Lot dropped off our luggage and entered the building. No lines for security or check-in. We sat in chairs for a couple minutes and they started boarding at 10:15.

We left from pier #28 but returned to pier #25. Makes for a longer walk to the Express lot, but not bad. 

Enjoy your cruise!

• Thanks 1

Thank you for the report. We will be there in a few weeks. We got lot B.  Right now my paperwork says boarding is 12:00 to 2:00. How did you know they would let you board at 10:40?  What was it like for sail away with the temperature so cold?  I want to not check in my carry-on. Did it appear that many did that? Did the porters check in your bags, or did you?

• Like 1

Our Travel Summary said boarding started at noon, but as we got closer to sailing the app boarding pass said check in started at 10:30.

Sail away was probably our coldest ever. Usually we would be out exploring the ship and enjoying sail away from our aft balcony; however, it was only 41 degrees so everyone was inside. Even for Galveston this was pretty chilly. It's supposed to be in the 80s at ports so hopefully we'll make up for it.

We let the porters take our large suitcases and we carried on our smaller bags. Lots of people were carrying on bags and suitcases. 

• Like 1

Thanks again.  We are a couple of weeks away from our cruise. Right now, either of my apps do not show a boarding pass on the app. When does it show up on the app.    Just wondering did you use the new or old app, or did you use the app at all?  I don't want to start another app debate though.

11 minutes ago, 2and2 said:

Thanks again.  We are a couple of weeks away from our cruise. Right now, either of my apps do not show a boarding pass on the app. When does it show up on the app.    Just wondering did you use the new or old app, or did you use the app at all?  I don't want to start another app debate though.

The boarding pass showed up around 10 days I think? I still have both apps on my phone. I edited out the personal info.

Screenshot_20240121_203154_Messages.jpg

Edited by Paula_MacFan
  • Like 2

It's definitely gotten warmer with an air temp of 72 today. However it's still windy and some open deck areas are closed. At least some people are actually sitting around the pool deck today unlike yesterday. Most people appear to be participating in indoor activities this afternoon due to wind and somewhat choppy Seas.

We've sailed on the Regal twice before (eastern Caribbean from Ft Lauderdale and New England from NYC), but we'd kind of forgotten how many passengers there are. Our last cruise was 3 months ago on the Island with way less people. Also the Island seemed to be in better shape. Most of the public areas on Regal have been ok so far, but our room needs a refresh. The coffee table is literally falling apart, the bed is not as good as the Island, our bathroom door is hanging off the hinges (hubby had to tighten screws hanging out of brackets), and there is a lot of rust on the balcony. 

None of that is ruining our trip, but the Regal isn't as regal as she's looked in the past to us.

Forgot to mention that yesterday we immediately watched the safety video upon boarding at 11:15, then immediately after that checked in to our muster station in the Vista Lounge. App showed we were both green and good to go. Then last night at 9:30 the steward delivered a letter that I had not either watched the safety video or attended muster (it said 'or', wasn't specific). I immediately tried calling guest services and when that was busy for 20 minutes I tried crew chat. Never did get a response from crew chat but finally got through to guest services who said there was a 'technology glitch'. I'm sure they were inundated with calls if lots of people got that letter.

Boarding was smooth the week before as well - we try to have everything buttoned up for boarding, right down to a screen shot showing our Green Lane status for when the app inevitably changes it to Blue Lane at the last minute (as Texans like to say, it's not our first rodeo). 😀

Rooms not being ready until early afternoon is more or less standard. The worst part of pre-sailaway was not being able to get a drink in the nicer bars until we'd left Texas waters.

Hope your sailing is as great overall as ours was! (Only choppy and cold on the last sea day.)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Paula_MacFan said:

It's definitely gotten warmer with an air temp of 72 today. However it's still windy and some open deck areas are closed. At least some people are actually sitting around the pool deck today unlike yesterday. Most people appear to be participating in indoor activities this afternoon due to wind and somewhat choppy Seas.

We've sailed on the Regal twice before (eastern Caribbean from Ft Lauderdale and New England from NYC), but we'd kind of forgotten how many passengers there are. Our last cruise was 3 months ago on the Island with way less people. Also the Island seemed to be in better shape. Most of the public areas on Regal have been ok so far, but our room needs a refresh. The coffee table is literally falling apart, the bed is not as good as the Island, our bathroom door is hanging off the hinges (hubby had to tighten screws hanging out of brackets), and there is a lot of rust on the balcony. 

None of that is ruining our trip, but the Regal isn't as regal as she's looked in the past to us.

You must have an odd cabin. We sailed the Regal in Oct, again Dec 3rd and again Dec 24th and going again Feb 18th. Our bed was perfect as were the pillows, everything in the cabin was in perfect working order. so there was a little rust on the balcony - we do sail in salt water so not a big deal. The rest of the ship was great . We had no complaints whatsoever....Love the Regal!

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, eclue said:

You must have an odd cabin. We sailed the Regal in Oct, again Dec 3rd and again Dec 24th and going again Feb 18th. Our bed was perfect as were the pillows, everything in the cabin was in perfect working order. so there was a little rust on the balcony - we do sail in salt water so not a big deal. The rest of the ship was great . We had no complaints whatsoever....Love the Regal!

We've been very happy before on the Regal and it's OK now, but the bed on the Island was heavenly and this one is sagging badly and the pillows are flat. We are in a premium deluxe true aft balcony cabin. I may try to post some pictures later.

20 minutes ago, eclue said:

Our balcony cabin was fine as well - and I've become kind of a "room critic" (ask me about our pre-cruise night at Gaido's - I can imagine anyone with OCD or fear of dirt would be in a fetal position before they even got to the bathroom, with almost every single thing in the room dirty/damaged in some way, up to and including putting in the TP roll to unspool from the bottom - yet the bed was clean and comfy, and the beach was outside our window, so for me it was fine).

Edited by TheMichael

24 minutes ago, TheMichael said:

Our balcony cabin was fine as well - and I've become kind of a "room critic" (ask me about our pre-cruise night at Gaido's - I can imagine anyone with OCD or fear of dirt would be in a fetal position before they even got to the bathroom, with almost every single thing in the room dirty/damaged in some way, up to and including putting in the TP roll to unspool from the bottom - yet the bed was clean and comfy, and the beach was outside our window, so for me it was fine).

We ate at Gaido's the night before our cruise and it was amazing! I don't think I'd consider staying at the hotel though. It's been there a long time much like the restaurant 😊 We stayed a few blocks away on the Seawall at the Holiday Inn Express. Also had a balcony gulf view room and it was very nice. No complaints.

Edited by Paula_MacFan
  • Like 2