Mykokos Greece

Cruiscs

37 minutes ago, Cruiscs said:

Never been to Mykonos. Will be 4 ships joining us on 17 sept 2024. How crowded will it be? It says its a tender port. Luckily we will be the only ship in Santorini…

There's one pier in Mykonos, so the first ship scheduled to arrive will dock there.  There will be a ferry for a cost that will take you to/from the downtown area.  If you are unlucky and have to tender, the tenders dock in the downtown area.  We've been there several times and always docked.

After you are finished walking around the downtown area and checking out all the ships, grab a taxi for a few euro to take you up the hill for lunch.  The taxi stand is to the left of the town.  There's a locals restaurant up on the top of the hill called Oregano (Pronounced when you ask the taxi to take you there -- Restaurant Or-E-GONE-O).  They have a full menu, and if you look inside you can see all the daily specials.  Get a seat out on the patio.

There's a small supermarket across the street if you need any goods to take back, and a viewing point of the town and harbor.  There's a pathway for you to walk  back down into the town.  It's an easy walk.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, Wineaux007 said:

There's one pier in Mykonos, so the first ship scheduled to arrive will dock there.  There will be a ferry for a cost that will take you to/from the downtown area.  If you are unlucky and have to tender, the tenders dock in the downtown area.  We've been there several times and always docked.

After you are finished walking around the downtown area and checking out all the ships, grab a taxi for a few euro to take you up the hill for lunch.  The taxi stand is to the left of the town.  There's a locals restaurant up on the top of the hill called Oregano (Pronounced when you ask the taxi to take you there -- Restaurant Or-E-GONE-O).  They have a full menu, and if you look inside you can see all the daily specials.  Get a seat out on the patio.

There's a small supermarket across the street if you need any goods to take back, and a viewing point of the town and harbor.  There's a pathway for you to walk  back down into the town.  It's an easy walk.

We will be tendering. Voyager of the Seas and another ship will arrive before us

• 1 month later...

Even if it's crowded I think you can have a nice day just walking about and looking at the shopping, quaint streets, maybe grabbing a Baklava, sitting by the water for a bit. There is a nice little chapel to look at too. We sat in a restaurant not too far from where the transfer dropped us and had dessert and a Gyros.  We had a ships transfer to the town, and then walked about on our own.  Pack your patience and I'm sure you will be fine. 

We get the pleasure of 5 ships in port in (in September) the day we are there - almost 14,300 people. Won't that be fun..... (sense the sarcasm).  Never been to Mykonos so planning the day  has been one of the harder ports.  Both us (Carnival Legend) and NCL Epic arrive at 7am so not sure who will get to dock. The other ships arrive at 8 and 9. Half tempted to shell out the money and just do a day pass at a hotel just to get away from the crowds and not deal with public transportation. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, erby2283 said:

We get the pleasure of 5 ships in port in (in September) the day we are there - almost 14,300 people. Won't that be fun..... (sense the sarcasm).  Never been to Mykonos so planning the day  has been one of the harder ports.  Both us (Carnival Legend) and NCL Epic arrive at 7am so not sure who will get to dock. The other ships arrive at 8 and 9. Half tempted to shell out the money and just do a day pass at a hotel just to get away from the crowds and not deal with public transportation. 

It's not really that difficult if you just want to stroll around Mykonos town. (Sorry, I'm not a beach person so can't help there.)

If you tender, you actually tender right to the center of the town and its quite easy just to stroll around the windy streets, even if it is crowded. Walk up to the windmills and get some pics, maybe follow a street or two away from the main port area and find a little taverna...

If you dock, again it's quite easy to get into town -- it's not that different from some of the Caribbean islands. You can take a shuttle by water or a shuttle bus. Both end up at the same place (edge of town) and both cost about the same (within a euro or two).

• Like 1

2 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

It's not really that difficult if you just want to stroll around Mykonos town. (Sorry, I'm not a beach person so can't help there.)

If you tender, you actually tender right to the center of the town and its quite easy just to stroll around the windy streets, even if it is crowded. Walk up to the windmills and get some pics, maybe follow a street or two away from the main port area and find a little taverna...

If you dock, again it's quite easy to get into town -- it's not that different from some of the Caribbean islands. You can take a shuttle by water or a shuttle bus. Both end up at the same place (edge of town) and both cost about the same (within a euro or two).

So you don't think it will be too bad with 14k people?

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)

We will be the only ship there in Mykonos on september 21. It shows tendered but wouldnt we be docked if we are the only ship?

Edited by Cruiscs

54 minutes ago, erby2283 said:

So you don't think it will be too bad with 14k people?

Well, it won't be great. No denying that. But it least it won't be like Santorini where the path up the cliffs is such a choke point. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/15/2024 at 11:08 AM, cruisemom42 said:

Well, it won't be great. No denying that. But it least it won't be like Santorini where the path up the cliffs is such a choke point. 

True; but our day in Santorini currently consists of 6 ships and approximately 11k people.  I just booked a Carnival excursion for that one to get off early and then they give us a ticket to go back down the cable car (I fully intend to head back early before the lines start to form). 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/15/2024 at 7:50 AM, cruisemom42 said:

So just to clarify,

If My ship tenders to the new port, I just take a Sea Bus/Water taxi and it will take us directly to the Old Port which is where Mykonos Town is? Thanks in advance.

On 3/14/2024 at 11:45 AM, erby2283 said:

I will be on The Carnival Legend sailing September 6th. Is there anyway to find out who will dock first Legend or Epic? Or I guess we will have to wait until the day we arrive at Mykonos. 

5 hours ago, Jayhoaps said:

So just to clarify,

If My ship tenders to the new port, I just take a Sea Bus/Water taxi and it will take us directly to the Old Port which is where Mykonos Town is? Thanks in advance.

Yes. It's really not far. Sounds like you're overthinking it a bit. 

I wouldn't really call the "old port" a port -- it's more like a tender or dinghy drop-off point right at the middle of Mykonos Town.

As I said, you can take a short sea bus/water taxi or a shuttle bus (land) along the road that skirts the water. You can also walk it but the walk can be hot and unpleasant (no real sidewalk), so for the small cost I'd take transportation.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

Yes. It's really not far. Sounds like you're overthinking it a bit. 

I wouldn't really call the "old port" a port -- it's more like a tender or dinghy drop-off point right at the middle of Mykonos Town.

As I said, you can take a short sea bus/water taxi or a shuttle bus (land) along the road that skirts the water. You can also walk it but the walk can be hot and unpleasant (no real sidewalk), so for the small cost I'd take transportation.

Thanks so much, I appreciate it. 

9 hours ago, Jayhoaps said:

I will be on The Carnival Legend sailing September 6th. Is there anyway to find out who will dock first Legend or Epic? Or I guess we will have to wait until the day we arrive at Mykonos. 

Probably not. 😢