I need help please

I have an Alaskan cruise booked w obstructed cabin, HIA and airfare all due art end of the month. I was thinking of upgrading to a vista suite but I don’t want to put any more expenses on my cc all a once. Could I upgrade after final payment is made and keep the HIA included?

I have done this as recently as this past November. No problem at all. I didn’t have HIA, but I don’t think that would make a difference as you’d just be paying the difference. You could also let your TA or PCC if you have one know you are interested in any “upsell” offers that may come up, but they are usually not until a month or less before sailing. 

Edited by sunviking90

4 hours ago, Niagarawine said:

I have an Alaskan cruise booked w obstructed cabin, HIA and airfare all due art end of the month. I was thinking of upgrading to a vista suite but I don’t want to put any more expenses on my cc all a once. Could I upgrade after final payment is made and keep the HIA included?

Whether you get to keep the HIA may depend on where it came from. Was it a promo (that is now discontinued)? Have you looked at how many Vista Suites are showing as available? -- which is probably not all there are, as some may be spoken for through guarantees. 

Prices can go up or down after Final Payment Date. 

You should be able to.

At the risk of seeming pushy, might I suggest a subject line of "Can I Upgrade After Final Payment?" or something like that.

I was afraid you fell down the stairs.

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

10 minutes ago, POA1 said:

You should be able to.

At the risk of seeming pushy, might I suggest a subject line of "Can I Upgrade After Final Payment?" or something like that.

I would be closer to help than you @POA1 😂 only about 5 hours

• Like 1

1 hour ago, crystalspin said:

Whether you get to keep the HIA may depend on where it came from. Was it a promo (that is now discontinued)? Have you looked at how many Vista Suites are showing as available? -- which is probably not all there are, as some may be spoken for through guarantees. 

Prices can go up or down after Final Payment Date. 

Good point. I hadn’t thought about HIA promos. Best bet for OP in that case is to hope for an upsell offer.

40 minutes ago, Niagarawine said:

I booked a promo so I guess I will sta with what I have,thanks

All is not lost yet! -- let whoever booked you know you're interested in an upgrade as @sunviking90 suggested. If THEY upgrade you, even at a price (known as an upsell on Cruise Critic), I think they will bring the HIA along. If you booked yourself with no TA or PCC, there is a phone number you can start calling at about a month out, asking about upgrades.

1 hour ago, POA1 said:

You should be able to.

That would be a better line and you are not pushy.  I was watching Traitors on BBC, got addicted to it

• Haha 1

53 minutes ago, Niagarawine said:

Are some of the vista suites better than others? Wonder if they would suggest a guarantee one and  was concerned about noise.

What is the ship? Most vista suites are in good locations...

Usually, when it gets to the upsell stage, they will give you a few to choose from. Have the deck plan handy. 

Here you are, copied from @0106 who 

Copied from @FlaMariner post:

But you must follow the rules....

1.  Have booking number

2.  Have credit card

3.  Have deck plan

4.  Be ready to make a decision (calling back after checking w/the spouse may mean not available anymore)

And it your case, make sure to stress that you want to keep your HIA.

• Like 1

When you call, you should probably ask about paid upsells. On one cruise I at first asked about upgrades and there weren't any available. I then realized I should ask for an upsell. I knew the vista suite was selling for less than what we had paid for the regular balcony so my "upsell" didn't cost anything additional.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Niagarawine said:

The ship,is the Koningsdam May 11 and thank you

Our favorite ship for a Vista Suite! I would stay away from mid-ship VS on the Navigation Deck (8) because under the Lido Market (buffet). There are only 4 on the Schubert Deck (7) but they and all of Decks 6 and 5 are sandwiched between other cabins above and below. The VS cabins on Deck 4 are above some one of Future Cruises, Front Desk, and Grand Dutch Cafe, none of which are known for being noisy. Never experienced any celebrations in the Attrium -- we were in 4100 for 16 days (B2B Mexican Riviera cruises a year ago). Going back to same cabin in three weeks!