Drink packages on Queen Elizabeth

Bramptongirl

Posted (edited)

Factor in how many port days you’ll have and how much time you’ll be on the ship to even drink. You’ll be off the ship much of the day on port intensive cruises. 

A Crossing may make sense. 

Edited by NE John
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, asdf1245 said:

The last time we cruised Cunard was the 2014 World Cruise.   Back then no drinks package, you paid for everything.   From memory if you had 5-6 wine or spirits, 2-3 coffee's and a couple of soft drinks or waters per day, it added up significantly plus the 15% grat.   So if one was to do the same today and we will be shortly on the QE, it makes good sense to take the package unless one of you in the cabin doesn't drink.

5 hours ago, david63 said:

I don't know if the drinks packages are different in Australia but from what you have posted there it certainly would not be a viable option from the UK.

You really do have to do your homework with the drinks package to make sure that the sums add up.

If you read the quantities stated as 5.5 x wine, 2.5 x hot drinks and 2 softs or water. I've ignored spirits as the list is too long. If you take the average value by category of those drinks that are available within the package and include the 15%, you get $84.67 per day.

From the UK you would need to cut out the hot drinks or have one less wine before you would get down to less than the $72/day that they charge for a 5 to 14 day trip.

If you're happy with coffee from push button machines or filter coffee that could reduce it, but I wouldn't touch the stuff. And we're more likely to have around 8 drinks per day.

Beer drinkers are less likely to see a saving.

3 hours ago, NE John said:

Factor in how many port days you’ll have and how much time you’ll be on the ship to even drink. You’ll be off the ship much of the day on port intensive cruises. 

A Crossing may make sense. 

We'd probably only do crossings, but on previous cruises we've normally taken lunch on the ship, except 2 days on P&O when the Britishness of the food just became too much for us. If we did take a cruise now, we'd probably just stay on board. It's quite nice to have an empty ship.

The wine selection by the glass is very limited and poor on the drink's package.  I am looking at the menus on the Queen Mary 2 which I will be on.  The other ships on Cunard probably have similar wine selections by the glass on the package.

• Like 1

I have a large onboard credit and wish to purchase the drinks packages. Can I book online to obtain the 10% discount and then have the payment reversed and charged to my OBC once onboard? Used to doing this on Seabourn for services booked in advance 😀

Posted (edited)

I very much doubt it In fact i don't think that you can cancel and get a refund once onboard), especially if you are in the UK - may be possible from the USA as they have different rules about things like this.

Edited by david63

• 4 weeks later...

Funny, I'm looking at a circumnav of Japan followed by a return to Seattle in May of next year, 39 nights total. ASDF very quickly ended any thoughts I had of a drinks package, much less two of them! Looking through the Cunard Bar Menu from 2022(?), prices are very reasonable for the amount I/we consume in a day. I usually get hit for about $75 for the two of us on Azamara (alcohol is included.) Even if we got hit for $400. next year, that's still a very far cry from $5500.!

On 3/31/2024 at 12:59 PM, Isr45 said:

I have a large onboard credit and wish to purchase the drinks packages. Can I book online to obtain the 10% discount and then have the payment reversed and charged to my OBC once onboard? Used to doing this on Seabourn for services booked in advance 😀

No, Cunard Onboard Credit is what it is  - For use onboard .  

• Thanks 1