Novotel Southampton

beej

Hi all, am back with another question. We have booked the Novotel Southampton for the night before our cruise in Oct. Cheryl said it was fine for the night and the location is great. The question is: We are in a standard room. They said that it would have 2 beds, not bed and sofabed. I have read some stuff about the Novation rooms, which are Queen bed and Pullout. I guess these are the newer rooms. Does anyone have info on these rooms. Is it worth the upgrade by about 15GBP. Want to make sure that the bathroom and shower is big enough, ie comfortable, nice shower in the older room since we will have a little one on the Legend. Read somewhere the bath in the older room was a soso bathroom. Help solve this dilemma please. Barb

Hi all, am back with another question. We have booked the Novotel Southampton for the night before our cruise in Oct. Cheryl said it was fine for the night and the location is great. The question is: We are in a standard room. They said that it would have 2 beds, not bed and sofabed. I have read some stuff about the Novation rooms, which are Queen bed and Pullout. I guess these are the newer rooms. Does anyone have info on these rooms. Is it worth the upgrade by about 15GBP. Want to make sure that the bathroom and shower is big enough, ie comfortable, nice shower in the older room since we will have a little one on the Legend. Read somewhere the bath in the older room was a soso bathroom. Help solve this dilemma please. Barb

I cannot help you with this hotel at all,but in general I would say stick with your reservation,and ask to see the room before you check in,and then if not up to what you want ask to upgrade or email the hotel telling them what you want/expect and ask if they can do this.I would not really worry about the room for just one night,but then that's me.

karen, Thanks for the reply. That is what we do when traveling in the USA, but don't have a clue to rooms in the UK. I do know some people who have said the rooms are very small. Small fine, but don't want my knees to hit the wall in the Loo. I am also going to look at Holiday Inn Express and see what I can learn about them. They are also by the waterfront, and this is a great location for overnight. Barb

karen, Thanks for the reply. That is what we do when traveling in the USA, but don't have a clue to rooms in the UK. I do know some people who have said the rooms are very small. Small fine, but don't want my knees to hit the wall in the Loo. I am also going to look at Holiday Inn Express and see what I can learn about them. They are also by the waterfront, and this is a great location for overnight. Barb

Rooms ARE much smaller in Europe even the ones's with US chain names,but that is a given over there,and usually the bathrooms are much bigger(well, I should say not always as in Italy last year it was tiny...:p )...go figure.Just a long as you realize smaller unless you book a suite maybe you will be fine and I am sure the hotel will be happy to work with you.Good luck and enjoy your cruise.

Karen, Just want to make sure we can get the luggage inthe room. I know they are usually smaller. Novotel said 2 beds, but from everything I've read, 2 means queen and pullout couch. Since we can cancel, I amgoing to look at Holidy Inn across from DeVere. They do 2 beds and include breakfast for about the same money. So if anyone knows anything about this one, please share. Thanks alot Barb

Please do make sure you do not use the Holiday Inn Express thinking it is on the dockside. The Holiday Inn is, but not the Holiday Inn Express. This is out of town on an industrial site. Not good at all if you want to do something other than sleep.

You want the Holiday Inn on Herbert Walker Avenue.

English Rose, We are at the Holiday Inn Herbert Walker. Checked the maps so that I would get the right one. You know, close to West Quay and John Lewis. I understand that there is a Waitrose there also. Can we get soda, and maybe a little wine to go? Cheryl, we are probably taking your advice and having something to eat in the cafe at John Lewis. If you have any thoughts on this or anything else please let us know. We value your expertise. Barb

You will certainly be able to get all the soda and wine you want from Waitrose.

Waitrose is (in my opinion) the best British supermarket chain by some distance. Not bad for a worker's co-operative (who said communism could not work ;) )

John Lewis' café do some lovely cakes and sweet things - go on you know you want to!

Nick.

Nick, me want to eat yummies and goodies. Never. LOL I can't wait. Do you think that is where the fluffies come into play? Question for you, if the Cafe does yummy sweets, do they do the clean your plate food or you can't have dessert? If this is not the place for a meal, do you have any suggestions that are in the shopping mall or very close. I figure by the time we get to eating, we are going to be dog tired since neither carolyn or I really can sleep on a plane. Thanks for the info on Waitrose. I can't wait. Thanks againg Barb

Waitrose is (in my opinion) the best British supermarket chain by some distance. Not bad for a worker's co-operative (who said communism could not work ;) )
I agree with the assessment of Waitrose.

But it's a funny sort of communism, given that it is targeted only at the top end of the market! :D

Globaliser, I'll take it whateve. How high end can soda be. Now wine is a different story. We just want to be able to pick up goodies for the ship. If any suggestions pop to mind for our late lunch/dinner meal give a shout. We love suggestions from everyone. Have a good Sunday Barb

Okay Globaliser, You've got me Never been to and never heard of a Lidl. Went to the site to find out what the heck it was. Looks like a BJ's or Costco that we have here. In other words, a warehouse store. Actually ours sell the name brands usually in bulk. I do know what you mean by their own brand though. Our supermarkets carry there own colas which don't come close to Pepsi or Coke. Didn't mean to be cheeky about high end soda; never even gave off brand a thought. I definitely don't want the other brand. Glad we have Waitrose by where we are staying. BTW, how about a few ideas for eating late lunch or dinner if you know of any good places for us. This cruise is 7 months away and I am already getting excited thinking about it. I really do appreciate the help Barb

Never been to and never heard of a Lidl. Went to the site to find out what the heck it was. Looks like a BJ's or Costco that we have here. In other words, a warehouse store. Actually ours sell the name brands usually in bulk.
I'd have been pleasantly surprised if you had heard of them! Lidl is one of three deep discount food retailers in the UK, all (I think) German. The other two are Aldi and Netto. They are uniformly known to sell complete rubbish - but it's cheap. When they arrived, it was feared that they would sweep all before them because of their low prices, but they have only managed to become niche retailers fishing the very bottom end of the market. Only recently have some of them started selling some branded stuff, but most is still either own-label or unbranded. Most of us are perfectly prepared to pay significantly more to buy better stuff.

Hi Barb

Yes, just clarifying the 'Express' thing for people who didn't know. Waitrose will be ready to serve you anything you want to take on the ship including lots of nice goodies to eat with your wine and soda. Off there myself today..... As for the John Lewis Cafe - it is a self service place where you can get hot or cold dishes. There are different stations producing different kinds of food, there's an omlette station, a stir-fry station, ice cream and crapes, cooked breakfast and grill station as well as the WONDERFUL cakes and pastries and coffee station. The huge windows overlook the dock area and some of Southampton's reatail outlets. Opening hours are shop hours, 9.30 am (for John Lewis, 9.00 for the rest of West Quay) until 5.00. The John Lewis store and the West Quay centre is open later, I think until at least 6.00 pm and later on Thursdays and Fridays. Not much to see out of the windows today - damp, wet and windy.... I am sure it will be bright and sunny when you get here.... Enjoy the anticipation Barb.

Morning, Globaliser, I agree I would definitely lean towards the brand name food stuffs, but that is not a problem in our bulk warehouse stores. They carry the name brands.

Cheryl, John Lewis sounds like a shoppers paradise. Clothing, good stuff and yummy food. How can one go wrong! Waitrose will definitely be the stop for the carry on the cruise stash. I told Carolyn to pack the vey flat cooler she brings so that we can fill it before boarding. It seems that a priority for where we stay overnight pre cruise, besides clean, is a place to pick up what we don't want to travel with on the plane. It is some easier to get goodies, bath things etc and then just use and leave the rest on the ship. I noticed the WONDERFUL on the cakes and pastries. I'm in trouble before I even get on board, right? Yeah!

Is there an English pub close by where we are staying, or would you suggest that the fluffy Nana twosome stay in West Quay and eat. We have never been to England, and I thought a pub might be a good experience. I will go by your wisdom. I appreciate all you are doing and helping with

Thank You all very much Barb

I don't know the Southampton John Lewis very well but the one that is fairly local to us is excellent (and I hate shopping)

As Cheryl said the cafe will have pretty much whatever you want - I always enjoy the stir fry station (with something sweet and sticky to follow:) )

I don't know if you have found the website so I have put the link below.

JOHN LEWIS LINK

Nick.

Nick, looks like John Lewis is quite a store, and i have been known to be an avid shopper. Oh, I guess that I am in trouble before I even start. Cafe sounds good, especially the sweet and sticky part, with a good cup of coffee. Life is good. Thanks for all the info everyone Barb

English Rose , if you are reading this, my husband and I have done B&B's in England, and here at home in Canada, and liked the idea of staying with local people, rather than an American or European-style hotel. But, then , of course, we were driving and had a car.

We are looking at one night in Southampton before our cruise on the Golden Princess, Aug.10,2006. The places we are interested in are ( I don't know if you say in or on ) The Polygon, e.g. Abbey Lodge, Cliffden Guest House, or Linden Guest House.

How convenient would these be from the places we would want to see, and eat at, etc., like Waitrose that you mentioned and the restaurants you recommended or should we stick with the Holiday Inn near the dock area? , or do you have any other suggestions. We would prefer a room with an ensuite bathroom, and clean, but not much else. It is only for one night, but we want to be able to see as much of Southampton as we can. We have a map, but it is hard to tell distances on it.

Thanks for any info you can give us,

Rosie

Ha!Ha! NIck, very funny. I just checked out Shrewsbury on the map to see if we could drop in to you for the night, but you are much too far away. But, maybe you could come and visit us when we get to WAles - that's closer to you.

Thanks for adding your input and advice on the boards, anyway. Isn't the internet wonderful?

Rosie

Rosie,

I would happily put you up for a night or two but I am just about as far from the sea as you can get in Britain.

Having said that if anyone does find themselves in the Midlands area of England I would be more than happy to give them a tour of my beloved part of the world. Feel free to let me know on these pages!!

As far as meeting you in Wales goes it is a fair drive to Holyhead (which I assume is your port) from my house but I would honestly try and meet you if you would like to. Let me know your dates and I can see what I can do. I am assuming we are talking 2 or 3 people which is all I could fit in my car (once myself and Di are taken into account).

Let me know and we can perhaps make a date of it.

I am not sure that is the answer you expected but let me know.

Nick.

Oh... I go away for a couple of days and come back to find I have visitors..!!

Rosie - I would love to put you up, but living in an old thatched cottage, I only have 3 bedrooms, and having a boy and girl, we have a bedroom each, so no spare rooms here. I do have the stables and a tack room - how would that be?? (No horses I might add).

I don't know any of the places you mention. I am but a visitor to Southampton myself. I live in Ringwood, some 15 minutes away and only visit Southampton for shopping (or meeting cruise critic folk...). Sounds like you would very much like the hotel that is near my house, but too far away for the Southampton things you would want to do. I would however recommend the Star or Dolphin hotels to you. These are very English, smaller and right in the centre of town. If all you want is a clean room for the night and English people right in the middle of the action - then try one of these. I would put the Star before the Dolphin because the owners are very friendly.

Nick - if ever you are in town - glad to meet up too...

Thanks, so much, English Rose. Your old thatched cottage with stables in the English countryside sounds so British- JUst like we see in the movies and on television. Do you watch Midsomer Mysteries, and the other mystery series that we get here?

We were actually looking at the Dolphin and Star, and just booked The Star. It sounds like what we wanted.

Thanks for the offer, Nick, but our port is Holyhead, and I wouldn't want to drag you all that way. And we do have a tour booked with Busybus, who sound very good. That's the problem with a cruise, you only get one day in an area, and don't get to see too much, but my husband and I have done some driving in England, (on the wrong side of the road, it is very scary) around Bath and Stonehenge and in the South, and we actually did make it to Hay-on-Wye, once, just into Wales, but never to the Midlands, but we have seen it in the movies and on TV. Oh, and I am a Coronation Street fan, but that is in the North. I watch it regularly, and even tape it when I am away.

If you ever get to Canada, you can let us know.

Thanks, nice talking to you.

Rosie

• 2 months later...

Frankel-

Please come back and tell us about your stay in the Star. I am looking for a place in Southampton for our cruise July/07. Would appreciate any information you have about your stay (what you did, eat) in Southampton, also.

Archived