Crampons for an Aurora Cruise

Where are you visiting? And do you mean “this winter” as in “the coming months?”

I wouldn’t bother if you’re sticking to the southeast coast. They’re rarely needed in places like Stavanger and Bergen. If you’re planning any side trips into the mountains, maybe. If you’re heading up to the Arctic (e.g. Tromsø) they can be useful, but you could also find them in most pharmacies and sporting goods stores if you want to wait and evaluate conditions.

If you will be in Oslo in the next few weeks, absolutely yes. There are several patches of pure ice due to heavy snowfall followed by rapidly warming temperatures. I’ve been wearing mine daily and while the sidewalks are starting to have clear spots, there are still several places I’ve been glad to have them.

Just remember to take them off when going inside.

On 2/2/2024 at 5:23 AM, kaisatsu said:

Just remember to take them off when going inside.

I ordered yaktrax from amazon--any idea how easy/difficult they are to take on and off? 

1 hour ago, brzymom said:

I ordered yaktrax from amazon--any idea how easy/difficult they are to take on and off? 

When you receive them practice putting them on and off….you will find what works best for you. Putting them over the toe first, then the heel worked best for me. Practice walking on an old piece of carpet to get your balance. Best to stay off concrete; it can damage the cleats.

16 hours ago, brzymom said:

Depends on the model. I have the YakTrax Pro with the top strap, because I kept losing my brodder without realizing. They’re not too hard to put on, but when I’m rushing, I often end up with the strap in the wrong position and have to start over.

The YakTrax springs are extremely slippery on smooth hard surfaces, so be extra careful in those situations.