Lunches in the Specialty Restaurants: Which days? Special Menus?

We have happened upon lunch open in Prime 7 and Chartreuse while cruising in the past.  It seems like they would be open some days for lunch and not others.

My questions are: Are there certain days that one should expect to find one or the other of these restaurants open for lunch, or is it sort of random? If random, is there a way to find out at the beginning of the cruise which days they plan to be open? Finally, is the lunch menu just an abbreviated version of the the dinner menu or does it offer unique dishes only available during their lunches?  Thanks in advance.

The speciality restaurants, Chartreuse & P7, are open for lunch only on the new class of ships (Explorer, Splendor & Grandeur). Both on sea days; one on port days.

Menus are specific to lunch.

• Thanks 2

We also found after being on the Navigator after being on the Splendor, the lunch menus in the speciality venues on Splendor and the Compass Rose on the Navigator were very similar except for the desserts. One of my favorite lunch dishes is the Leek quiche that I have had many many times on the Navigator. It was on the Prime 7 lunch menu on the Splendor. There were several other dishes severed at lunch in both speciality venues that were on the regular Compass Rose lunch menu. We usually eat lunch in the Compass Rose because we avoid buffets if at all possible and don’t eat outside when it is warm or humid.

Really think they are serving the nearly the same food for lunch be it a speciality venue or the Compass Rose on the older ships. At least that was our experience on a BtoB on the Splendor and the Navigator.

• Like 3

On 2/2/2024 at 7:04 PM, flossie009 said:

The speciality restaurants, Chartreuse & P7, are open for lunch only on the new class of ships (Explorer, Splendor & Grandeur). Both on sea days; one on port days.

Menus are specific to lunch.

So does this mean that there is at least one restaurant open on the Grandeur whether at sea or in port? We do not eat buffets.  How about boarding day?  Thank you.

1 hour ago, Raintree said:

So does this mean that there is at least one restaurant open on the Grandeur whether at sea or in port? We do not eat buffets.  How about boarding day?  Thank you.

Almost all days have at least one sit-down option, Most days Compass Rose is open for lunch, and on the three larger ships at least one of the specialty restaurants is open, too.

You can always get table service at the pool grill until it closes at 4pm.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Raintree said:

How about boarding day?

On boarding lunch is available in La Veranda or at the Pool Grill

4 hours ago, RELS said:

Most days Compass Rose is open for lunch, and on the three larger ships at least one of the specialty restaurants is open, too.

Compass Rose does not open for lunch on Explorer, Splendor or Grandeur

• Thanks 1

So, is lunch no longer available in Compass Rose? It was open on Voyager, and through room service. Sadly, I know this because I was quarantined with Covid. Hoping for a healthy sailing in July! (Splendor)

1 hour ago, asnaleah said:

So, is lunch no longer available in Compass Rose?

Compass Rose is open for lunch on Mariner, Navigator & Voyager; not on the newer ships, where a speciality restaurant is available instead.

Compass Rose wasn't open for lunch on Grandeur on any day. There was one specialty opened each day, and it rotated between Chartreuse and Prime 7, but never Pacific Rim. The menus were smaller and more luncified versions of their dinner menus, with some still ambitious options. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

New to RSSC.

Apologies if this has been covered in the past.  

Does lunch at the Specialities have to be booked and does it count towards your SD allocation?

Thank you. 

The lunches don't have to be booked, and my experience was that seating was immediate, and the atmosphere was very relaxing without the formality of the dinner service. Menus are lighter versions of the dinner menus. Note that only Chartreuse and Prime 7 are the only two open for lunch, they alternate which ones are open, and they're (almost exclusively) only on sea days. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, GMIAC said:

they alternate which ones are open, and they're (almost exclusively) only on sea days. 

that must have changed. When we were on Explorer they were both open on sea days and 1 of them was open alternately on port days. As CR isn't open for lunch at all they need both of them plus La Veranda and the pool grill open on sea days to accomodate all the guests. 

5 hours ago, GMIAC said:

they alternate which ones are open, and they're (almost exclusively) only on sea days. 

We were on Grandeur in Jan. and Explorer on Feb-Mar.  Our experience was the same as1982CruiseStart.  BOTH were open on Sea Days and I think they alternated on shore days but can't really confirm that part as we only used the Pool Grill on shore days.  But definitely BOTH Prime 7 and Chartreuse were open on sea days on both ships. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, 1982CruzStart said:

that must have changed. When we were on Explorer they were both open on sea days and 1 of them was open alternately on port days. As CR isn't open for lunch at all they need both of them plus La Veranda and the pool grill open on sea days to accomodate all the guests. 

I'm so sorry. This is correct. I don't know how I got that mixed up.

• Like 1