Miami Hotel Check-In

We are not using Regent Air but are using the pre-cruise hotel in Miami.  We'll make our own way to the Biltmore.  Do we go to the front desk for a regular check-in or will there be a Regent representative there for check-in?  The next morning we have an 11:30 boarding time.  We are provided transportation from the hotel to the ship.  Will Regent have a bus that early or are we better off getting our own taxi/Uber?

Many thanks.

We have done this a number of times...our own airline arrangements but staying at the Regent hotel pre-cruise.  And you are correct...you need to make your own way from the airport to the hotel as per our experience.

Once at the hotel you will check in at the Hotel's Reception Desk just like any other guest.  Regent has a slate of rooms reserved for its cruisers but they have nothing to do with hotel processes.  And you will need to adhere to whatever the hotel's check-in time (and check-out time) is.  Whenever we fly overseas to the embarkation port, we always reserve another day prior to Regent's arrival day (at our own expense) so that we can go right to our room to freshen up from the flight no matter when we arrive.  You just need to let the hotel know that you will be arriving later than the normally expected check-in time.

Somewhere in the lobby area (ask at reception) there will be a Regent check-in desk.  They will check your name off of their list, ask you what time (ie bus) you would like to use to go to the ship (unless that has already been pre-arranged) and provide you with a letter about all of the details for embarkation.  Usually they provide instructions about when and where to have your non-hand luggage ready for pickup on embarkation day, what time and where breakfast will be available and other information about the embarkation city.  They may even offer embarkation day tours available that would drop you off at the ship at the end.

I hope that answers your questions

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, MoBro713 said:

We are not using Regent Air but are using the pre-cruise hotel in Miami.  We'll make our own way to the Biltmore.  Do we go to the front desk for a regular check-in or will there be a Regent representative there for check-in?  The next morning we have an 11:30 boarding time.  We are provided transportation from the hotel to the ship.  Will Regent have a bus that early or are we better off getting our own taxi/Uber?

Many thanks.

Regarding your final question, when you check in at the Regent desk, they will give you a choice of bus departures. You may get one that matches the time you selected when you did the online check in but maybe not. It really doesn’t matter to Regent, but if it matters to you then a taxi is probably your best bet. 

Bear in mind that unless you’re in a top suite your room won’t be available until around 2:30. Earlier boarding means a longer wait for you room, if that matters to you. 

All that info jibes with what we experienced last year at the Biltmore.  But we made our own way to the ship.  In this case, we had our car, and parked at the port, but would have taken a taxi or uber otherwise--I hate those buses.  Regent did, however, take our big luggage so we didn't have to lug it around.

• Like 1

Left from Miami twice, first time took the the bus from the Hyatt and had to claim our luggage, which was on a different bus that arrived close to when we did and take it to a porter who had his hand out for a tip.  Next time, from the Intercontinental took an uber w/ our luggage and was glad as the line for the bus was utter confusion.  Wendy, how does Regent deal with the pick up your luggage when you are not on the bus but give them the luggage and no porter is getting a tip?

The last time I did this from Miami the luggage was not on the same bus with passengers. It was picked up earlier in the morning and went separately to the ship and I didn't see it again until it was delivered to the room.

8 hours ago, 2SailingNomads said:

Left from Miami twice, first time took the the bus from the Hyatt and had to claim our luggage, which was on a different bus that arrived close to when we did and take it to a porter who had his hand out for a tip.  Next time, from the Intercontinental took an uber w/ our luggage and was glad as the line for the bus was utter confusion.  Wendy, how does Regent deal with the pick up your luggage when you are not on the bus but give them the luggage and no porter is getting a tip?

I'm not remembering specifics but I believe it was as Tom stated; we didn't see our bag until it was delivered to our suite.

We were in exactly the same situation as you 2 weeks ago, our own air transport, the included Biltmore, then Regent transport to the ship.

Our flight from the UK was delayed by 12 hours so we arrived in Miami at 2am. Despite notifying them of flight numbers and our delay, our booked Blacklane driver was nowhere to be seen (booked at $147, which increased to $187 when we changed the pick-up time). This worked in our favour as the Uber XL arrived 3 minutes after I reserved it and cost $28.

We arrived at 3am to the Biltmore and, understandably, the Regent desk was unmanned. The hotel reception had a Regent letter for us that told us to leave our bags just inside the room door for collection at 8am, breakfast arrangements, and our bus times. We followed the baggage instructions at 8am and left for breakfast.

We had also selected a 11.30 port check in time but had been allocated a later bus. My parents are frequent Regent cruisers and have always said the bus transfer was the weak link in the entire vacation. Therefore after enjoying a relaxed breakfast, I ordered another Uber XL just before 11am to take us to the port ($29).

We arrived at the terminal before the buses, joined a queue of no more than 4 couples, and were sipping champagne on the pool deck by 11.30am. 

Despite my parents anxiety, our baggage was magically waiting in our suite later in the afternoon. The whole process was simple and relaxing.

Good luck!

• Like 2