Yokohama - What time to arrive at cruise terminal?

hubofhockey

Looks like most itineraries out of Yokohama have a 7 pm departure time.

For now I plan on taking a 1 pm train from Kyoto to Yokohama and the take a taxi to the terminal, getting there about 3:15.  

Was wondering if there would be harm arriving between 4 and 5 pm or is 3:15 about right.  

Nothing against Millennium (like the ship), but have only a couple of days in Kyoto and planning on spending two days in Osaka when we get there (maybe the second short day in Nara).

We were thinking of arriving earlier when we join the 5/27 sailing. We are coming in from Tokyo so thought we would arrive 11-11:30 ish. I think I had read about people checking in on the early side then getting back off the ship to explore Yokohoma but not sure if that is a common thing.

It's hard to plan an arrival time and hope they have a bit of leeway if we can't time it exactly. I've not had to worry about specifiying an arrival time for many, many years given status on other lines etc.

18 minutes ago, hubofhockey said:

Looks like most itineraries out of Yokohama have a 7 pm departure time.

For now I plan on taking a 1 pm train from Kyoto to Yokohama and the take a taxi to the terminal, getting there about 3:15.  

Was wondering if there would be harm arriving between 4 and 5 pm or is 3:15 about right.  

Nothing against Millennium (like the ship), but have only a couple of days in Kyoto and planning on spending two days in Osaka when we get there (maybe the second short day in Nara).

How much luggage do you have on shinkansen from Kyoto station to Shin Yokohama station? Luggage concerns are important in Japan.  You need to plan ahead. 

Edited by rinshin

1 hour ago, rinshin said:

How much luggage do you have on shinkansen from Kyoto station to Shin Yokohama station? Luggage concerns are important in Japan.  You need to plan ahead. 

We will have one larger bag each (standard, bigger than a carryon).  You can reserve seats on a Shinkansen in seats that have oversized luggage.  The Green cars, which we are reserving,  also have luggage racks at the end of the cars, but mine will fit.  Here is a photo of the overhead racks.  

At this point, my issue is really time and not luggage.  

image.png.c98036c16a77395b455cd1ed88af809b.png

Yes, you to have to plan ahead.  We spend a month annually in Japan for the last 20+ years with a base in Tokyo and doing many trips across Japan via shinkansen or special interest trains.  We normally travel with small rollers each and backpack making easy to maneuver in crowded situations.  The small rollers are not too heavy and my husband can place them overhead.  We have seen tourists in contorted positions with their big suitcases between legs. 

Edited by rinshin
  • Thanks 1

We did the 26 night TP and Circle Japan (Westerdam 10/23) with a 22” carry-on bag, plus a small backpack each.  After getting off the ship, we traveled to Tokyo by train for a few days, then took the train to the airport.  Having traveled in Japan previously, we knew it was less stressful to navigate the trains with smaller suitcases.

I recommend a smaller bag and purchase the ship’s laundry package.

12 hours ago, Ferry_Watcher said:

We did the 26 night TP and Circle Japan (Westerdam 10/23) with a 22” carry-on bag, plus a small backpack each.  After getting off the ship, we traveled to Tokyo by train for a few days, then took the train to the airport.  Having traveled in Japan previously, we knew it was less stressful to navigate the trains with smaller suitcases.

I recommend a smaller bag and purchase the ship’s laundry package.

This thread was supposed to be about what is a safe time to arrive at the cruise terminal before original embarkation on the Celebrity Millennium, which departs Yokohama at 7 pm.    (I'm good on luggage)

17 hours ago, Captain-John said:

We were thinking of arriving earlier when we join the 5/27 sailing. We are coming in from Tokyo so thought we would arrive 11-11:30 ish. I think I had read about people checking in on the early side then getting back off the ship to explore Yokohoma but not sure if that is a common thing.

It's hard to plan an arrival time and hope they have a bit of leeway if we can't time it exactly. I've not had to worry about specifiying an arrival time for many, many years given status on other lines etc.

5/27 is actually our departure day.  We're coming in from Kyoto on 5/15 after spending 4 days in Tokyo and 2.5 in Kyoto. Figured we would would spend the morning at the Bamboo Forest and Monkey Park in Arashiyama and grab bento boxes at the Kyoto Station and taking the 1 pm train.   At this point, Yokohama is not on our list.  I figure that arriving at the cruise terminal before 3:30 for a 7:00 pm departure is pretty safe, but maybe they stop embarkation at 5.  

1 hour ago, hubofhockey said:

5/27 is actually our departure day.  We're coming in from Kyoto on 5/15 after spending 4 days in Tokyo and 2.5 in Kyoto. Figured we would would spend the morning at the Bamboo Forest and Monkey Park in Arashiyama and grab bento boxes at the Kyoto Station and taking the 1 pm train.   At this point, Yokohama is not on our list.  I figure that arriving at the cruise terminal before 3:30 for a 7:00 pm departure is pretty safe, but maybe they stop embarkation at 5.  

I think your plan sounds reasonable but before finalizing I would wait until you can check in for the cruise and see what the offered boarding times are.  We will be sailing on 5/2 and our current plan is to arrive around 1100 - 1130 to board the ship. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, DaKahuna said:

I think your plan sounds reasonable but before finalizing I would wait until you can check in for the cruise and see what the offered boarding times are.  We will be sailing on 5/2 and our current plan is to arrive around 1100 - 1130 to board the ship. 

I called Celebrity.  Check in times are 1:30 pm to 5:30 pm.  The Celebrity customer service rep told me that we could choose 30 days in what check in times we want.  You won't be able to board the ship, but maybe you can drop your luggage off and then go back later on.

I will probably stick with our original plan to arrive at Shin-Yokohama at 3 pm and then take a taxi to the cruise terminal, just to be on the safe side.

• Like 1