Hot and hard beds

Hi folks

In 2019 we did Island Princess in Alaska and last February we were on RCL Odyssey. Others in between with no issues.  Both of these ships have terrible beds for my husband and I. On the Princess ship, sweating was an issue. It was the bed causing it, a few others mentioned it was a memory foam mattress which will make one sweat.

Now, Odyssey was terrible. The bed was hard and sweat, wow....we sure did. I slept a couple hours on the deck one night. I got cold and hubby got hotter as the air wasn't on without the door locked on the patio.  I had the couch made up for me for the last three nights and slept much better. If you don't sleep well, it puts a damper on the cruise. Went to my room 3 nights at 7 p.m. after dinner, so exhausted. 

Has anyone else had issues like this? We can't be the only ones noticing these changes. I have been on 16 cruises since 2005 and this seems to be just the last few years.

I remember when the beds and bedding were top notch. 

I love cruising and heading on the Norwegian Pearl in April for a TA, praying for a good bed for 14 nights.

1 hour ago, KSSS2013 said:

I ask for an egg crate topper for the bed. It makes it softer and does help with the bed ventilation.

I also request a mattress topper.

Received one for each of my last 2 sailings on Joy and will ask again in April on Getaway.

On my last sailing and on the one coming up, I put in the request with my PCC and I'll include it with the note I leave for or hand to my cabin steward upon embarkation.

This note covers my request for the topper, extra towels, ice every day, empty fridge, etc.

I include $30 with my note and have had great success having all of my requests filled in a timely fashion.

• Like 1

Both my husband and I have some serious "back problems" and need good mattresses to avoid severe pain during the day. We cruise with NCL 1-2 per year, and for us, their beds/mattresses are "the best" - we both sleep "like babies" when cruising. When it comes to the cabin temperature, we find it very easy to change the temp. to our preference when needed, through the aircondition panel in the cabin.

11 hours ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

"survive?"

I have a SleepNumber bed at home, this mattress was like a piece of plywood in comparison.  I haven't had similar issues in other cabins on NCL 

4 hours ago, DCGuy64 said:

Right? Pretty sure no one ever died from sleeping on a hard bed. Maybe a sore back, but death? Yeah, no.

Sore back is what I was referring to.  I'd I hadn't gotten the topper is be walking around more like the people that make the majority demographic (70+) and less like my 35-50 demographic....

48 minutes ago, hallux said:

I'd I hadn't gotten the topper is be walking around more like the people that make the majority demographic (70+) and less like my 35-50 demographic....

Something about this sentence isn't right. I don't know what you mean. "I'd I hadn't gotten the topper IS be walking...." ? What are you trying to say here, I'm confused. Sorry.

1 hour ago, DCGuy64 said:

Something about this sentence isn't right. I don't know what you mean. "I'd I hadn't gotten the topper IS be walking...." ? What are you trying to say here, I'm confused. Sorry.

Stop. You know exactly what he's saying. There's nothing cute about being purposely obtuse. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, cruiseny4life said:

Stop. You know exactly what he's saying. There's nothing cute about being purposely obtuse. 

I actually don't know. Maybe it's Covid fog, I tested positive yesterday and have been somewhat fuzzy-headed, so maybe that's it.

Edited by DCGuy64

30 minutes ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

I had it!!  Earned that merit badge. 😎

Off the top of my head, I honestly can't think of anyone I know in real life that hasn't tested positive at least once.

Except me.

I think BAC may be the missing link here. 🙃

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, IAcruising said:

Off the top of my head, I honestly can't think of anyone I know in real life that hasn't tested positive at least once.

Except me.

I think BAC may be the missing link here. 🙃

LOL.  That's just because you didn't test enough!  It's a world of Covid.  Everybody gets the Covid.  I would be saying the same if DW/DD didn't literally put my head in a vice and "insist" that I test.  (think three stooges here🤣)  I felt absolutely great when I saw that "dreaded" line on the freebie test.  IIRC, the only "adverse" effect was that I couldn't go to the grocery store for a few days.  Win freakin' win.😎

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just my personal opinion, but NCL has the hardest beds afloat.  We have to get two toppers each time we sail (unless in Haven, that King is nice).  My wife prefers hard mattresses and she found these to be just too hard.

Haven't had an issue with either Princess or Holland beds last few cruises.

The bed was about the same as I have at home. Unfortunately NCL doesn’t have the best way to connect the beds, you feel the seam quite a bit if laying in the middle. As a solo traveller who likes taking up the whole bed this is unfortunate. 

• Like 1

I usually ask for a foam topper, and I didn't have trouble on the Sun or Jade. But even with 4 foam toppers in the Studio cabin on the Escape, that bed was very hard. Not hot, just hard. 

It wasn't so bad that I couldn't sleep, though. Just woke up stiff.

19 hours ago, DCGuy64 said:

If I hadn't gotten the topper I'd be walking...   The effects of typing on my tablet and not proofreading.  Thanks @cruiseny4life for trying to defend me

• Like 1