The Gem will be homeporting in Jax!

1 minute ago, FLcruisergrl said:

Very excited! The port is approx 30 minutes from my house, so that’ll be convenient!

It's a 20 minute drive down I-295 for me.  Can't wait for it to get here!

• Like 3

13 hours ago, PhillyTravelBug said:

I just got the flyer as a travel partner with NCL.  Says bookings will open the 15th and include 11 and 12 night sailings to the eastern Caribbean and 4 and 5 day sailings to the Bahamas.

We live in St. Augustine and are very excited about this! I was hoping there would be some 7 night sailings. We’re not really interested in cruises to the Bahamas at this point, and 11 to 12 nights is tough for us since we’re both still working full-time. On the local news, they mentioned that the Gem will have to work around Carnival’s schedule. I’m looking forward to seeing the itineraries!

• Like 5

If price point is there we will go out of Jax, instead of Miami or Port Canaveral. We prefer the Breakaway and BReakaway+ class, but would be a shorter drive to JAX. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, LisaLisa87 said:

We’re not really interested in cruises to the Bahamas at this point, and 11 to 12 nights is tough for us since we’re both still working full-time. On the local news, they mentioned that the Gem will have to work around Carnival’s schedule. 

It'll be great for a quick weekend getaway, though.  First Coast News said NCL and Carnival will work together to deconflict schedules.  They made it sound more of a mutual working agreement than a one-sided dictatorial relationship.

We're still working, too, but rest assured we'll look at the 11 and 12 day itineraries to see if they're places we want to go.

We're excited about the deal.

• Like 2

Great news for us, too. The Jewel Class is our favorite class of ship, and some of the itineraries reported in the Jacksonville media look pretty good. It will be nice to see something in port beside that ugly Carnivore ship.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, LisaLisa87 said:

We live in St. Augustine and are very excited about this! I was hoping there would be some 7 night sailings. We’re not really interested in cruises to the Bahamas at this point, and 11 to 12 nights is tough for us since we’re both still working full-time. On the local news, they mentioned that the Gem will have to work around Carnival’s schedule. I’m looking forward to seeing the itineraries!

I lived in Jacksonville for a year in the late 90's., and wished I had visited St Augustine.

This is great news for those in that area! 

• Like 1

We have never tried NCL but have been meaning too so this gives us a great incentive to do it sooner than later! We live in the Atlanta area and it shaves a few hours off our trip. Can't wait to see the itineraries

This is great news! I am excited to sail out of Jacksonville. We have never done it since Carnival only has their smaller, older ship there.  Can't wait to check out itineraries and prices soon!

On 2/7/2024 at 12:11 PM, david_sobe said:

Congratulations Jacksonville.  I wish we would get a Jewel class ship in Miami again.

They do in Tampa! 1 hour from my house. But I like the Breakaway + ships so I always drive to Miami or Port Canaveral.

The Jax NBC affiliate reports that Gem will cruise from Nov through April every year through 2028. The proposed itineraries will be available on February 15, they say. The Florida Times-Union says destinations will include the Dominican Republic, Puerto Rico, St Thomas and St John, VI, Antigua, and St. Kitts, We're hoping the ship will reposition to Europe ahead of hurricane season for summer cruises, so we can jump on a TA, which we always enjoy.

• Like 1

On 2/9/2024 at 6:22 PM, Carnac767 said:

The Jax NBC affiliate reports that Gem will cruise from Nov through April every year through 2028. The proposed itineraries will be available on February 15, they say. The Florida Times-Union says destinations will include the Dominican Republic, Puerto Rico, St Thomas and St John, VI, Antigua, and St. Kitts, We're hoping the ship will reposition to Europe ahead of hurricane season for summer cruises, so we can jump on a TA, which we always enjoy.

The Jax port is definitely close to your home!! You could almost take an Uber and save parking charges and wear and tear on your car! We would be happy with the 5.5 hr drive!

Edited by 2chiefs

41 minutes ago, 2chiefs said:

The Jax port is definitely close to your home!! You could almost take an Uber and save parking charges and wear and tear on your car! We would be happy with the 5.5 hr drive!

You're right. It's about $90 for an Uber from the Island to JAX airport, and the port is probably about $10-$15 more.  On a 12-day cruise that's more cost effective than paying for parking. Fly Navy.

4 hours ago, Carnac767 said:

You're right. It's about $90 for an Uber from the Island to JAX airport, and the port is probably about $10-$15 more.  On a 12-day cruise that's more cost effective than paying for parking. Fly Navy.

I wasn't a pilot in the Navy but I am a private pilot (haven't flown since 2007 however) so I guess I can say Fly Navy too!!!  LOL

Edited by 2chiefs
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Carnac767 said:

Yep. Sittin' in the back seat relaxing all the way down and curb side service leaving the ship!! All while your car sits in the garage relaxing at home.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Fogfog said:

For 2025 NCL web site shows Gem sailing out of Miami in Jan and May.

Feb-April is not avail at the moment

The Gem is going to be used for charters in 2025.   the outlaw cruise I do every year will be on it 🙂

• 3 months later...
On 2/8/2024 at 11:30 AM, 2chiefs said:

We have never tried NCL but have been meaning too so this gives us a great incentive to do it sooner than later! We live in the Atlanta area and it shaves a few hours off our trip. Can't wait to see the itineraries

we are in ga it only 2 hire trip for us to jax