Last minute booking HELP!! Anthem questions...

Hello!

It's been about 5 years since our last cruise - and I feel like I've forgotten EVERYTHING. Found a very good deal and booked last night for April 7th on the Athem!

We are bringing our two littles - 4 and 6. I have so many questions, please help!! Any advice is SO appreciated.

Apparently it's almost sold out and booking somewhat last minute I can definitely see that. I got a pit in my stomach seeing that early dining 5PM (which is when we usually eat dinner at home) was completely booked and only 7:30 dining was available. I really don't want to eat in the buffet every single dinner and 7:30 is really just so late for the kids. I chose My Time Dining and stomach turned over again seeing that the only available reservations are 7:45PM and later :(

DINING:

1) Is there any chance I'd be able to actually get the 5pm dining time (am put on a wait list)? Is there anything I can do to try to nab one the first day of the cruise? 

2) If I can't get 5pm, can we just show up early for My Time Dining around 5:30 and just hope they'll seat us? 

3) It says for My Time Dining reservations are strongly recommended. If I'm not able to secure a reservation at a time that's available, does that mean I"m just completely shut out of the MDR?

ENTERTAINMENT:

4) Do we need to make reservations for any shows? I heard NO for WWRY, but YES for Spectra.

5) Is Spectra free and appropriate for young children?

6) Where and when would I be able to make reservations? 

PORTS:

7) For Port Canaveral, are Ubers allowed to pick up passengers? If so, is there a designated area for pick up/drop offs and how long of a walk is it?

8 ) For CocoBay, is the free beach walkable and if not, do they offer any free shuttles to get there?

9) For Nassau, are there any beaches walkable from the cruise port?

10) For Nassau, how safe is the area around the cruise port? The recent travel warnings about the violence/murders is pretty concerning.

Thank you so much in advance if you're able to offer any advice/insight to any of my questions!!

I think I can answer a few of these for you 🙂

So for dining, we ALWAYS do my time, and the main dining room is very accommodating when it comes to the times that you would like! The first day of the cruise, we talk to the host and get a time set for the entire week or just the few nights we want to eat in the main dining room. Just talk with the hostess and they always make it work! If you just show up in the evenings during the dinner rush, you will be waiting awhile for a table (we have done that too and I don't recommend)! 

I haven't been on Anthem yet, so I am not familiar with the show but with Quantum class ships we have had to make reservations for the shows. Which if your sailing is in April, you should be able to reserve the shows now through the app.

I believe Ubers are allowed to pick up and I believe it is right outside of the terminal of the ship! For Coco Cay they have a tram that takes you to spots around the island, but it is all walkable! With Nassau I haven't been in quite some time, and I have heard that as well. I have always felt safe near the port, but we never leave the port area unless we do a tour through Royal, which we haven't done in a while. We typically get off the ship and just have lunch, but other times we don't get off just because we have been there so many times. So I am not sure on the beaches! Hope this all helps! 🙂 

Edited by livetravelcruise07

4 minutes ago, jojo412 said:

Dining:

2 ways of handling: 

- Contact rcldining@rccl.com.  They are accommodating with any requests. Please be sure that you indicate, day of sail, ship's name, reservation # and if you are a C&A member list your number.

- on embarkation day, go to one of the restaurants and there will be Maitre Ds taking any changes and requests.

Entertainment:  Reservations required for Spectra only.  Look at the 30 day mark for the reservations to open.  The reservations can be made via laptop or the APP.  It's listed for all ages.

Uber, yes, but don't know where they will pick you up.

Coco Cay, yes it's free, including any dining.  There are trams from the ship to the entrance and then if you want to go to the various attractions and beaches, you need to change trams.

Nassau:  For pay, there's Margaritaville Resort which is a 10-15 minutes walk.  One of the free beaches which is a block further from Margaritaville is Junkaroo beach.  Tourists and locals alike utilize this beach.

The area around the port is pretty safe.   Walk and stay on Bay Street which is a main artery in Nassau with shops and tourists.  However, like any place need to be aware of your surroundings.  If you stay on Bay Street, it'll take you to Margaritaville and Junkaroo.

Hope this helps.

11 minutes ago, jojo412 said:

Spectra is appropriate for all ages, but it's loud so consider that if your kids are noise sensitive. The aerialists were the best part and I think I've read they aren't doing that anymore, hopefully I'm wrong about that. It's cool to see all the visual tech they do with the space though. Reservations were in the app when I last went to the show. Not sure how they do things now.

As for Nassau, I think sharks are the bigger threat to American tourists. Just don't stray off the beaten path. If you have the budget for it, Margaritaville is an easy walk from the ship and has a lot of non-thrill level water park features and a little beach. Just eat well before you come because the food prices are very high. We used the lockers there without a problem. Junkanoo is a little further down the same beach. It's free, but you will meet some new friends trying to sell you chairs etc, etc. I've never had a problem just saying no thanks and being left alone but others may have different experiences. 

On 2/6/2024 at 7:09 PM, livetravelcruise07 said:

I think I can answer a few of these for you 🙂

So for dining, we ALWAYS do my time, and the main dining room is very accommodating when it comes to the times that you would like! The first day of the cruise, we talk to the host and get a time set for the entire week or just the few nights we want to eat in the main dining room. Just talk with the hostess and they always make it work! If you just show up in the evenings during the dinner rush, you will be waiting awhile for a table (we have done that too and I don't recommend)! 

I haven't been on Anthem yet, so I am not familiar with the show but with Quantum class ships we have had to make reservations for the shows. Which if your sailing is in April, you should be able to reserve the shows now through the app.

I believe Ubers are allowed to pick up and I believe it is right outside of the terminal of the ship! For Coco Cay they have a tram that takes you to spots around the island, but it is all walkable! With Nassau I haven't been in quite some time, and I have heard that as well. I have always felt safe near the port, but we never leave the port area unless we do a tour through Royal, which we haven't done in a while. We typically get off the ship and just have lunch, but other times we don't get off just because we have been there so many times. So I am not sure on the beaches! Hope this all helps! 🙂 

Thank you SO MUCH for your reply!! Truly appreciated!!

Just a follow up question for you - for My Time Dining, when I check on my app it shows the hours as 6:45-9:00PM. It also gives options to make a reservation, however when I try to make one, it shows only limited available timeslots like 8PM, etc.

-Does this mean that if you choose My Time Dining then the earliest you can be seated in 6:45? I questioned 2 separate agents on this - one said yes those are the actual times that MyTime Dining is open and another said My Time Dining starts at 5PM when the early dinner starts.

14 hours ago, Jasukkie said:

Spectra is appropriate for all ages, but it's loud so consider that if your kids are noise sensitive. The aerialists were the best part and I think I've read they aren't doing that anymore, hopefully I'm wrong about that. It's cool to see all the visual tech they do with the space though. Reservations were in the app when I last went to the show. Not sure how they do things now.

As for Nassau, I think sharks are the bigger threat to American tourists. Just don't stray off the beaten path. If you have the budget for it, Margaritaville is an easy walk from the ship and has a lot of non-thrill level water park features and a little beach. Just eat well before you come because the food prices are very high. We used the lockers there without a problem. Junkanoo is a little further down the same beach. It's free, but you will meet some new friends trying to sell you chairs etc, etc. I've never had a problem just saying no thanks and being left alone but others may have different experiences. 

Thank you for your reply I really appreciate it!!!

I've subsequently learned that it may be 30 days before the cruise where I'll be able to see the option to make reservations. As of now, it isn't showing on the app for my sailing!

Does Margeritaville get really crowded? 

Just one side note on dining. We have been on Anthem a few times (last summer was latest) and we have never eaten in the MDR because the Windjammer is brilliant and the best in the fleet (IMHO!!). The choice is brilliant and you can have any food combination you want and plenty of it!! Don't be afraid to try...you may be pleasently surprised!

Simon

9 hours ago, jojo412 said:

Thank you for your reply I really appreciate it!!!

I've subsequently learned that it may be 30 days before the cruise where I'll be able to see the option to make reservations. As of now, it isn't showing on the app for my sailing!

Does Margeritaville get really crowded? 

The beach there is crowded because it's very small. The water park area was fine, no problem getting chairs. I really like the lazy river and the little water slides are fun. You also have access to the infinity pool that overlooks everything. Not a lot of people go up there so that wasn't crowded. The one downside is the food. It's very expensive for what you get and the service is slow. I'd suggest waiting til the lines go down if you do need to get something. The whole place cleared out in the afternoon as people went back to the ship. 

11 hours ago, sddsddean said:

Just one side note on dining. We have been on Anthem a few times (last summer was latest) and we have never eaten in the MDR because the Windjammer is brilliant and the best in the fleet (IMHO!!). The choice is brilliant and you can have any food combination you want and plenty of it!! Don't be afraid to try...you may be pleasently surprised!

Simon

We were on Quantum OTS a few years back & after a disappointing experience in the MDR we stuck with the Windjammer,loved it,brilliant selection & we really loved dining outside at the stern,that might not be so much fun in cooler weather!

20 hours ago, jojo412 said:

Thank you SO MUCH for your reply!! Truly appreciated!!

Just a follow up question for you - for My Time Dining, when I check on my app it shows the hours as 6:45-9:00PM. It also gives options to make a reservation, however when I try to make one, it shows only limited available timeslots like 8PM, etc.

-Does this mean that if you choose My Time Dining then the earliest you can be seated in 6:45? I questioned 2 separate agents on this - one said yes those are the actual times that MyTime Dining is open and another said My Time Dining starts at 5PM when the early dinner starts.

My Time starts at 5 pm! When we do My Time we always sit around 5 pm or 5:30 pm. BUT we do figure out the times once we are on the ship, because the hostess has way more power than the app does! 🙂 AND also if you speak to an agent, they should be able to waitlist you the time you would prefer and if those slots open and if you are next in line, then you will get the time slot! There is a ton of ways to get the time you want!