Live From Valiant Lady 2/10-2/17

Steelers0854

55 minutes ago, Steelers0854 said:

I did some quick googling and found a place close to the port with good trip advisor reviews called Hemingways

Our place to go in Antigua is Limerz. They have a deal that includes lunch, 2 drinks, beach chairs and an umbrella, although I heard that they recently lost their beautiful beach to a storm. The food was local, and fresh. https://www.beachlimerz.com/

Edited to add: According to their Facebook page, the beach has come back.

https://www.facebook.com/BeachLimerZ/

These pics are from our 2017 visit.

25348462_10155885648753433_7947102200587956222_n.jpg.0cdf88f9d9d694ede2ae90e95f7e4a32.jpg

25151971_10155885649083433_8480840096786318455_n.jpg.e8da09d02bf3678a600c2a8660e69965.jpg

Edited by CineGraphic
  • Like 4

We wandered around the port and did some shopping before hopping back to the ship.

IMG_1809.thumb.jpeg.8dc0f855182e3642e55a53d43783611c.jpeg

here is the special burger today in the galley. 

IMG_1822.thumb.jpeg.a7c876d1251de1fe3982e9c4e566211e.jpeg

We relaxed around the ship and DW did a friendship bracelet activity the crew hosted. We then headed to the balcony and enjoyed a nice afternoon. We headed to the thermal spa and it was busy, maybe 18-20 people. But the majority left a short time after we got there.

Before we knew it, it was time for dinner at Razzle Dazzle.

IMG_1814.thumb.jpeg.a840b966d303ccb3e9d5ceec43f0865d.jpeg

IMG_1815.thumb.jpeg.a3b751c62deaf651ddf0a01e8f98ca41.jpeg

DW was stoked, she loves chicken wings and these were safe for her (despite what the menu said) so she got 2 orders of those and the pastrami for dinner. She said the wings were excellent, perfectly cooked and the pastrami was also excellent, tender and flavorful, she didn’t miss the sauce at all.

IMG_1823.thumb.jpeg.ed1aabafe2efc169dc7765c4a8a92ab4.jpeg

IMG_1818.thumb.jpeg.7d7661b3359a5271d5be57054ca4f105.jpeg

I got the fried green tomatoes and the pork belly. For dinner they had a secret menu bleu cheese double cheeseburger and while I was leaning towards the lamb the waiter suggested the burger. The fried green tomatoes were just ok. Nothing great, I would skip them next time. The pork belly was melting your mouth delicious and perfectly cooked. The burger was lights out incredible. May be the best burger I’ve had in years. The patties were seasoned perfectly and juicy, the sauce was full of flavor. It was simply incredible.

IMG_1824.thumb.jpeg.16f90adf96d41d114ff3fc7fa8d16db6.jpeg

IMG_1825.thumb.jpeg.27650b796dfd4e91a78239af4869df9a.jpeg

DW got the same cheesecake from breakfast and I got the apple rum cake which was excellent.

IMG_1820.thumb.jpeg.bcae26c53d4f9f527247c555ea8df327.jpeg

After dinner we headed to the Manor for the comedy show.

Random thoughts: the balcony hammock, so comfortable!  The other chairs not so much. But to the point that the hammocks are comfortable and guy was asking in the shops last night if he can buy one. They said yes! Apparently You can go on a virgin’s website and buy one off there.

• Like 3

The comedian tonight was Emmanuel Sonubi, and the manor was packed!  He was fantastic. Love comedians that do a mixture of audience engagement and their own content. In addition also love that while his show was an adult offering it wasn’t vulgar, he is really talented.

IMG_1827.thumb.jpeg.9809bb7f8c4a23896db07336ae274003.jpeg

After the show we enjoyed our balcony as we left port and called it a night.

• Like 3

One final Premium WiFi speed test for you. Figured most people would be up and about by now. Been really happy with the WiFi onboard. Also I’ve heard people complain about the app. DW and I have had 0 issues. It’s actually been one of the next cruise ship apps I’ve used. 

IMG_1832.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Steelers0854 said:

We feel like we are barely moving.

The newer ships really do run smoothly compared to the older grand-class ships we were used to sailing on with Princess. Even when pulling into dock, and using the thrusters you don't experience any of the shuddering/vibrations of those older ships.

Look at this glass of wine shake on what ended up being our last Princess sailing.

• Haha 3

10 minutes ago, CineGraphic said:

Look at this glass of wine shake on what ended up being our last Princess sailing.

Dang that’s crazy!  It’s been a hot minute since we were on a Grand class ship. Not by choice just worked out that way with the itineraries we picked. We do have a cruise booked next year on the Sun Princess. That ship looks amazing. 

• Like 2

Note to Virgin: Im all for surprise man overboard drills. But maybe a PA announcement BEFORE the alarm activation. They hit the third tone and I was about to $&@# myself lol. 

Edited by Steelers0854
  • Haha 2

Note to Virgin: Im all for surprise man overboard drills. But maybe a PA announcement BEFORE the alarm activation. They hit the third tone and I was about to $&@# myself lol. 

We had an emergency drill during the October TA, but no warning was given and a few first-time cruisers panicked and showed up at their muster stations with their life preservers on, even though there were no horn blasts. The tabloid press tried to make a big deal of it.

IMG_4594.JPG

IMG_4596.PNG

IMG_4597.JPG

IMG_4652.PNG

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, CineGraphic said:

We had an emergency drill during the October TA, but no warning was given and a few first-time cruisers panicked and showed up at their muster stations with their life preservers on, even though there were no horn blasts. The tabloid press tried to make a big deal of it.

Wow. Anything for that click these days!

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, SteelCityCruiser10 said:

Is the cup/lid/straw something you brought from home?

Nope. That is standard here on Virgin. Unless you ask for it in a paper cup this is what you get when you order a cold drink. It’s wonderful and a great environmental choice. 

• Thanks 2

Day 7 At Sea

It was the dreaded final day, and our first and only day at sea. Up til now DW and I have pretty much had the run of the ship with everyone being off. I was curious to see how it would be on a sea day. The morning was so wonderful and we had shade on our balcony so we , got coffee and relaxed until DW had spin class. I continued to enjoy the balcony until she finished her class. There weren’t any available reservations for brunch today as we skipped breakfast and waited for lunch.

I hadn’t tried the pizza yet and wanted to give that a go. DW went for the galley so I just brought my pizza up there and grabbed a salad as well. The pizza was amazing, I thought Princess had the best pizza at sea, Virgin gives them a run for their money. I just wish there was a way to get a slice. Sometimes you just want a quick slice. But that’s probably a good thing for the old waist line. 😎

IMG_1839.thumb.jpeg.8e3712798da865b7688599da2433702a.jpeg

IMG_1855.thumb.jpeg.8c93154e1754477e69f2db38958f9241.jpeg

DW ran into an issue at lunch. She was going to get a pastrami sandwich but after a 10 min wait was told they had run out of the gluten free bread they normally used and have had to make their own on board, which unfortunately they said contained dairy. So DW pivoted and got a salad, fries and a burger patty.

After lunch we went to the Manor to catch the magic/comedy duo Griffin & Jones and I’m glad they did they were awesome.

IMG_1856.thumb.jpeg.e6263c33e3e9f0dc619dbc699f4707c7.jpeg

Side note: today was Rocky Road ice cream and apparently it’s a hit. By 4pm they were out of it, so if you like it get there early.

Afterwards I headed to the gym for my workout, DW lounged around. After my workout we headed to the thermal spa. It was packed but we expected it being  sea day and all. Maybe 20-24 people. Still able to use everything we wanted, just louder and more maneuvering required.

We got ready for dinner and headed to Pink Agave, our favorite restaurant on board.

DW got the guacamole and corn minus the toppers. And the steak plain as well. She said corn was excellent, well seasoned and had great flavor. The steak was perfectly cooked and had a surprising charcoal grill flavor. She said it was the best one yet.

IMG_1844.thumb.jpeg.f3bc131adb6e7d8a5423e5478ba2e7b1.jpeg

IMG_1859.thumb.jpeg.cd6c6345223b844724e8f0cb37544a48.jpeg

I got the guacamole and corn, the shrimp and the steak. The corn was amazing and that steak was really  something else. I also got a passion fruit agua Fresca with Bacardi's and it was one of the best drinks I’ve had onboard.

IMG_1857.thumb.jpeg.90e4f95a7a38fcdc3cb40db6deef28e8.jpeg

IMG_1858.thumb.jpeg.a344aba33f999d8ad647049a210d7020.jpeg

IMG_1860.thumb.jpeg.440a377a1cd22243a46d858b2e37056f.jpeg

I skipped dessert because I was stuffed and may also have had a cake pop earlier in the afternoon. But DW has been dreaming of the chocolate tamale since Saturday. She said it’s amazing.

IMG_1850.thumb.jpeg.6ce54e1d31d586eeba11f7f8eecd1169.jpeg

After dinner we walked around the top decks and then headed to the balcony to enjoy the nice cool breeze tonight.

IMG_1861.jpeg

• Like 4

After my workout we headed to the thermal spa. It was packed but we expected it being  sea day and all. Maybe 20-24 people. Still able to use everything we wanted, just louder and more maneuvering required.

What is your final verdict on the spa pass for the week?  Was it worth it?

On 2/15/2024 at 6:09 PM, Steelers0854 said:

Random thoughts: the balcony hammock, so comfortable!  The other chairs not so much. But to the point that the hammocks are comfortable and guy was asking in the shops last night if he can buy one. They said yes! Apparently You can go on a virgin’s website and buy one off there.

They have sold them on the ship as well in the "CVS" type shop in the corner.

20 hours ago, Steelers0854 said:

it’s a beautiful morning on our first and only day at sea. We feel like we are barely moving. 

That’s because we were barely moving 🤪 With so little distance to cover we were dawdling along, barely 10kts at times.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, CineGraphic said:

I'm assuming that you've bought at least one MNVV for a future booking.

I would have loved to but their policy didn’t work for us. They told us you had to sail within 2 years of purchase not book. We already have trips planned through 2026 so it wouldn’t work for us. Was really sad about that!

13 hours ago, bogeybogeybogey said:

We are on the Virgin cruise leaving out of San Juan March 2.  We are wondering if they have Sweet N Low, when did you make your show reservations and which show would you recommend.

Thanks!

I’m sorry I did t see this until we got off. They did have pink and blue packets so I’m thinking one of them is sweet n low or essentially the same thing. 

13 hours ago, herdfans4 said:

What is your final verdict on the spa pass for the week?  Was it worth it?

If we didn’t have so much Sailor Loot we wouldn’t have done it if paying out of pocket. We did enjoy it, and would definitely book a 3 hour block again for $50pp. But IMO it’s not worth the full cost. The chairs aren’t that comfortable and with no heated loungers I think the value is diminished. Also keep in mind the more sea days you have the less value you get as it will be busier. Having only 1 sea day we maximized our time. But if you’re spending there money it was a great use of our Sailor Loot. Hope that helps. 

• Like 1

Day 8 Disembarkation

The worst day of the cruise. FYI for those new to Virgin, keep your luggage tags on your bags from check in if you want them to take your bags off the ship. We carried ours off anyway but they don’t give you disembarkation tags like other lines do. Same as usual leave your bags out by 10pm.

We got up and headed right to our 7:30 brunch at Razzle Dazzle. DW grabbed her fav the potatoes and back. I got the fried chicken sandwich.

Pro Tip: order a fried egg and bacon, put them on the sandwich. It’s the best breakfast sandwich you’ll ever eat. You’ll thank me later 😉

IMG_1869.thumb.jpeg.a90408db2aad3a16227ae6d701667536.jpeg

After breakfast we went to the room got ready and packed. We were out by 8:40. In line for customs by 8:50 and out of the terminal before 9. It was a short line to get off the ship. They had 4 customs agents and it’s a manual process but they just look at your passport ask one question and you’re done.

We have some time before our flight so we went and got the best Pina Colada anywhere, Barrachinas is a must for us any time we are here. IMO no one makes a better one.

IMG_1867.thumb.jpeg.a5ddbfb9e92feacd5edae7babefc95d0.jpeg

Thank you all for following along with us. We had so much fun on this trip and really enjoyed the virgin product. We will be back for sure!  Although I’m going to miss our DBE bonuses. That daily coffee credit and premium WiFi 😍.

Final Thoughts:

We loved our first Virgin cruise and will definitely be back. To this point our favorite line has been Princess (and Disney but it’s cost prohibitive and they implemented a change to their loyalty program that’s anti-guest and very disappointing). But Virgin has joined the ranks in the top spot. The only reason we didn’t get the future cruise bonus was that we already have trips planned through 2026 and their program is very restrictive IMO. But we will definitely be back.

My only 2, pretty damn minor complaints: 1) lack of rotation in the Galley with food offerings and 2) while the hammock is amazing the balcony chairs are horrible.

• Like 8