boarding time vs (now minimal) checkin time

msteries

Haven’t cruised HAL in over four years, and after reading some posts, I am a bit confused as to what to do on Wednesday.  Previous experience: take taxi to pier, arrive shortly after 10:30, hand off luggage, and go inside terminal, looking for “Suite, Priority, Club Orange signs”.  Do the short checkin process, then find a seat until boarding for Category A begins.  So there is a difference between “check in” and “assigned boarding time”.  Still true?

Yes there is a difference and there is a difference between ports.  Since you indicate you have priority it is pretty much as you describe.  Check your boarding pass of check in time. 

10 minutes ago, Mary229 said:

Yes there is a difference and there is a difference between ports.  Since you indicate you have priority it is pretty much as you describe.  Check your boarding pass of check in time. 

Sorry - failed to mention that I depart FtL.  Boarding pass gives “boarding time”.  But I can arrive and check in earlier, I presume???  

2 minutes ago, msteries said:

Sorry - failed to mention that I depart FtL.  Boarding pass gives “boarding time”.  But I can arrive and check in earlier, I presume???  

You can arrive as you described understanding you may have to wait until the ship is fully cleared.  Have fun

• Like 3

2 hours ago, msteries said:

FLL is a quick and easy port. Usually the ship begins to board about 11:30 (give or take 30 mins) to allow clearance and turnover of prior cruise. You can check in when you get there at 10:30 just like you describe. 

• Like 2

At FLL since you have priority any listed time is irrelevant - just go through the check in process and go upstairs to the priority waiting area - as soon as boarding begins they start with those in that area, row by row, first come first to board, nobody cares what time you were 'assigned'. 

• Like 3

Still correct.  Depending on your assigned time and the port, priority is actually priority to wait in a large group to board.  If you get to board early, say around 11-11:30, priority is being directed to the Lido for lunch with your carry-on in tow as your cabin will not be available.