Will NEVER use HAL again!!

mheal

mheal: Ever since my lock was cut off and my digital camera stolen, I have taken a photo of my luggage when I place it outside the cabin door. You would be 'cutting off your nose to spite your face' if you abandon HAL for $60.

Candy the ZuiderPrincess

:confused: What is the point of taking this photo of your luggage? A photo is not proof of when you took the photo.... it's easy to adjust/set the time on our cameras. It isn't proof that your luggage was not stolen (or broken into) by another guest. It isn't any sort of proof the ship's workers did anything wrong with your luggage. Actually, how do you prove the photo you have of suitcases, is a photo of YOUR suitcases?

What is this photo of your suitcases supposed to substantiate? I don't get it.

I, personally, have a real fear about leaving my luggage out in the hall. I don't worry about things being stolen, but in my head I can hear the airport security people questioning me:

"Was this luggage out of your possession?"

"Has anybody else handled your luggage?"

And I really, honestly, would have to tell them that it should be searched.

susana.

Um, Susanna? They don't ask anymore. They just x-ray everything, and search a lot of it. :)

Copper10-8 and others,

Our shop sold fashion jewellery, so we aren't talking big biccies here. However, whenever theft was suspected, we had ways of letting the refundee know that we knew that they knew etc. We were unlikely to see them again. However, if we had refused a refund, the comotion and bad vibe that they would have created in the store would far outweigh the financial loss.

Thanks for clarifying! I guess we each look at it a little differently which is what this is all about;)

This knowledge is also inparted to PAXs on other lines. I think they all use the same joke about leaving booze in the hall way.

Why say you will NEVER use HAL again. All cruise lines that I have been on point this out since it really is just common sense. Sorry... but do not blame HAL.

Have you ever been looking for your luggage after disembarking, and seen a battered liquor box oozing alcohol all over the floor among the suitcases ? I've seen it happen many many times. So along with the possibility of theft if left outside your cabin, there is also the great possibility of breakage.

But more importantly, I'm perplexed by your strong reaction to this situation. If you are reacting this strongly, what would you do if something really serious happened ?

As the saying goes, choose your battles. Losing a box of liquor can't be the hill you want to die on.....is it ? :)

Hopefully it's a verandah! I enjoy cocktails out in the open sea air.

Better make it the penthouse - then Jim can host a cocktail party out in the open sea air ;) !

Anyhow I must jump on the bandwagon here along with everyone else and say that this is simply not HAL's fault. If you park your car on the street with the key in the ignition, would you blame the city if it gets stolen? I think (hope) not...

Anyhow I must jump on the bandwagon here along with everyone else and say that this is simply not HAL's fault. If you park your car on the street with the key in the ignition, would you blame the city if it gets stolen? I think (hope) not...

You'd be surprised, Doug!;)

Well I was on that SAME cruise. I Don't recall Que saying this in his speech either. We watched it numerous times on TV. This was Que's first cruise as CD...maybe it slipped his mind?

It is possible that Que may have left the script. However ... even if such was the case (and, as I just said, I'm sure it's possible that he left the script ... I've seen other CDs leave the script on other subjects), it still seems to me to be pretty much a matter of common sense -- don't leave anything valuable sitting around in plain view for someone to take.

They lost a customer, and as many potential customers I can tell about this, over $60. Sorry HAL but you are not the best. Stand behind your customers please - satisfaction is not your goal.

Please don't hold this against HAL. This was a simple mistake. And maybe this will help you feel less frustrated about it. I was on the same cruise. Our friends were first time cruisers and they sent their laptop through the baggage service. You know where I am heading next. $3000 laptop now gone, probably with the same people that took your booze. They were the 5th floor...were you as well?

Again. I do understand your frustration. I would be just as frustrated as you. I honestly don't understand why they have this system in place anyway. I'm sure they could easily figure a different way of handling luggage.

Please understand that this is how many cruise lines operate. Your stuff is lost. Equate it to leaving it in your car at a Disneyland parking lot and your car got broken into.

HAL is a pretty good line. This would have happened on any line.

I think that if I had been treated as rudely as this poster has I probably would be afraid to come back too.

You believe that we have treated the OP "rudely?" While it is true that the vast majority of those who have responded on the subject have NOT agreed with the veracity of the OP's complaint, or with the assignation of responsibility to the Cruise Line, the majority have been overwhelmingly kind in so-doing. As for my part: yes, I said the OP did a "stupid" thing ... they made a mistake ... and it cost them. Rather than trying to blame the Cruise Line for their own error, they should realize that even simple reason dictates that liquor left in the open for someone to pilfer will be pilfered.

It is possible that Que may have left the script. However ... even if such was the case (and, as I just said, I'm sure it's possible that he left the script ... I've seen other CDs leave the script on other subjects), it still seems to me to be pretty much a matter of common sense -- don't leave anything valuable sitting around in plain view for someone to take.

This was a charter and I'm sure that these people thought that others on their charter would not steal from them. They also probably left jewelry and other expensive items like cameras out every day on the cruise and nothing happened to their items. However they probably didn't realize that there are OTHER people working the luggage that are completely unrelated to HAL. I'm sure you can understand how someone with loads of common sense could make this mistake.

You believe that we have treated the OP "rudely?" While it is true that the vast majority of those who have responded on the subject have NOT agreed with the veracity of the OP's complaint, or with the assignation of responsibility to the Cruise Line, the majority have been overwhelmingly kind in so-doing. As for my part: yes, I said the OP did a "stupid" thing ... they made a mistake ... and it cost them. Rather than trying to blame the Cruise Line for their own error, they should realize that even simple reason dictates that liquor left in the open for someone to pilfer will be pilfered.

Actually yes. Someone made a mistake and then there were jokes at their expense. They made a mistake. And as I said they weren't informed during the disembarkation talk.

I do believe that sometimes this group can sometimes go a little too far because they are so comfortable. This of course CAN be off putting. Heck even I do it sometimes. However hopefully this can be a lesson learned for people...when someone comes on who has obviously made a mistake....inform them without making them feel like an ass......and MAYBE you can influence them to change their minds on a particular idea.

This was a charter and I'm sure that these people thought that others on their charter would not steal from them. They also probably left jewelry and other expensive items like cameras out every day on the cruise and nothing happened to their items. However they probably didn't realize that there are OTHER people working the luggage that are completely unrelated to HAL. I'm sure you can understand how someone with loads of common sense could make this mistake.

No, I can't.

Please don't hold this against HAL. This was a simple mistake. And maybe this will help you feel less frustrated about it. I was on the same cruise. Our friends were first time cruisers and they sent their laptop through the baggage service. You know where I am heading next. $3000 laptop now gone, probably with the same people that took your booze. They were the 5th floor...were you as well?

Again. I do understand your frustration. I would be just as frustrated as you. I honestly don't understand why they have this system in place anyway. I'm sure they could easily figure a different way of handling luggage.

They sent a $3000 ANYTHING thru the baggage service????????

ALL valuables, regardless of the actual monetary value, i.e., passports, other ID, prescriptions, jewelry, cameras, etc, should NEVER leave your own possession. While I am quite attached to my clothes & shoes, if they were taken, oh well, suzie gets to go shopping. It simply would not occur to me to leave the laptop outside the door, just like it wouldn't occur to me to leave my kid or my dog outside the door, any door.

You're on a ship with more than 2000 other souls, not all of them as honest or as able to resist temptation you might be. I think that if I saw an obvious laptop outside someone's door, I would be horrified. I'd like to think I'd then knock on that door & politely suggest to the occupant that they re-think leaving it outside. If it was really really late, I might take it inside my own cabin & then try to meet up with my neighbors or take it to the front desk in the morning. So much of my life is on my laptop...

I think that if I saw an obvious laptop outside someone's door, I would be horrified. I'd like to think I'd then knock on that door & politely suggest to the occupant that they re-think leaving it outside. If it was really really late, I might take it inside my own cabin & then try to meet up with my neighbors or take it to the front desk in the morning.

You might be surprised to discover that they would not appreciate your looking out for them. A few years ago I saw a woman leave her handbag in a grocery shopping cart while she went to another aisle to search for something. I stood there and waited a couple of minutes until she came back...keeping an eye on her cart. When she came back I mentioned to her that she might want to take her handbag with her when she walked away from her cart so that no one could walk off with it. She glared at me and said something like "so what business is it of yours" and walked away....obviously very annoyed.

I surely wouldn't take someone else's laptop inside my cabin....no matter how good your intentions. That could seriously backfire.

Obviously, HAL is not the top notch line I was lead to believe they are. Based on this experience, I will NEVER use HAL again. They lost a customer, and as many potential customers I can tell about this, over $60. Sorry HAL but you are not the best. Stand behind your customers please - satisfaction is not your goal.

mheal,

So sorry your booze got lost or stolen. Please report back after sailing in Celebrity, Carnival, Cunard, Costa, Crystal, NCL, Disney, Oceana, Orient, or Princess. Do the same thing leave your booze outside in the hallway and then see how often you find it the next day.

At least you did do what my husband did - packed his going home clothes in the suitcase. I really thought the cruise director made that up until he did it.... :)

Seriously - if you really enjoyed your HAL cruise chalk it up to experience of what not to do. I agree some other passenger probably walked off with it.

:confused: What is the point of taking this photo of your luggage? A photo is not proof of when you took the photo.... it's easy to adjust/set the time on our cameras. It isn't proof that your luggage was not stolen (or broken into) by another guest. It isn't any sort of proof the ship's workers did anything wrong with your luggage. Actually, how do you prove the photo you have of suitcases, is a photo of YOUR suitcases? What is this photo of your suitcases supposed to substantiate? I don't get it.

It is supposed to prove my suitcases were locked and outside my cabin door, effectively leaving them in the care of the ship personnel. The security of the bags were then their responsibility. Whether the theft was by pax or crew does not matter.

I put my locked luggage outside the door and when I found it in the terminal, one lock was gone and so was my digital camera. When I claimed restitution from HAL, they asked if I was certain all luggage was locked, and since I couldn't prove it, they denied the claim. Of course, the date can be changed on a camera, but a photo of my luggage including my cabin number should be sufficient. If the lock is gone when I get to the terminal, it would take another few seconds to snap another photo.

I'm assuming, of course, that you're asking about honest people, not crooks, liars or thieves. Somebody out to beat the system can certainly fake a claim. It takes a few seconds to take a photo, and it could make the difference in a claim situation.

Candy the ZuiderPrincess

Que is the CD now? I was hoping he'd be recognized for his efforts. He was an assistant CD on the Westerdam when we sailed and he was the most helpful, pleasant and entertaining staffer we've ever sailed with. He also was extremely professional and on top of everything.

My DH is so worried even about our luggage that he sits in the cabin listening for the porter to take it. He also opens the door and checks every few minutes. He can only breathe a sigh of relief and go to sleep when it has left the hall. (Of course, how does he know it was the porter who took it if he does not see him taking it. We have to believe in something and as one poster said, I would get to go shopping - again.)

Archived