Friends of Bill W.: Starting a meeting?

Rescue Dog Mom

Hi, I see that the Crown Princess cruise I'm booked on in March doesn't seem to have 12-Step meetings on the calendar, according to some recent Patter/Event Listings newsletters I've seen of similar Crown cruises. So I was thinking of starting a meeting. Does anyone know how I'd go about doing that?

15 minutes ago, Rescue Dog Mom said:

Hi, I see that the Crown Princess cruise I'm booked on in March doesn't seem to have 12-Step meetings on the calendar, according to some recent Patter/Event Listings newsletters I've seen of similar Crown cruises. So I was thinking of starting a meeting. Does anyone know how I'd go about doing that?

Double check with Princess because they have had meetings on every Princess cruise I have been on. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, NavyVeteran said:

If you don't see them scheduled when you board, ask at Guest Services. If they don't already have them scheduled, they will schedule them if you ask.

I don't have experience with your specific group. DW always goes to the knitting group on board. On one cruise, they didn't have it scheduled. She asked at Guest Services, and it was scheduled within two days. I believe it would probably be the same for any other group.

If you ask at Guest Services, you may want to request a specific location - or at least not to schedule you at a bar that is open during your meeting.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, NavyVeteran said:

If you don't see them scheduled when you board, ask at Guest Services. If they don't already have them scheduled, they will schedule them if you ask.

My wife has done this on a couple of cruises that didn't have the Knitters and Natters meeting listed. The added them to the Patter for her.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, charliedalrymple said:

I don't mean any disrespect with this question; I'm genuinely curious. Is it particularly challenging to be on a cruise, with its focus on drinking and so many people over-indulging, when one is in recovery?

I didn't realize that drinking was such an important part of cruising.  I've never been bothered about what other people are doing; others would have to speak for themselves.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, d9704011 said:

I didn't realize that drinking was such an important part of cruising.  I've never been bothered about what other people are doing; others would have to speak for themselves.

1 hour ago, charliedalrymple said:

I don't mean any disrespect with this question; I'm genuinely curious. Is it particularly challenging to be on a cruise, with its focus on drinking and so many people over-indulging, when one is in recovery?

No problem! I can explain. In my case, having some decades of sobriety, it’s not about trying to avoid booze or being worried I’d want to drink — instead it’s more about meeting like-minded people who are probably involved in 12-step recovery programs and who embrace life without drugs or alcohol. It’s kind of like a tribe!

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Rescue Dog Mom said:

No problem! I can explain. In my case, having some decades of sobriety, it’s not about trying to avoid booze or being worried I’d want to drink — instead it’s more about meeting like-minded people who are probably involved in 12-step recovery programs and who embrace life without drugs or alcohol. It’s kind of like a tribe!

My husband tried to go to one, years ago.  Of all things the meeting was at a bar. 🙄  No one was there (the bar was closed), but he asked a worker about it and the comment was "oh no one ever shows up for it".  Maybe things have changed. idk.  Good luck.  Congratulations on your sobriety.  I know it's not easy. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, smwg said:

No one was there (the bar was closed), but he asked a worker about it and the comment was "oh no one ever shows up for it"

Yes, I've been to some and not too many attendees.  The venue and timing don't really inconvenience anybody and if it can help somebody then worthwhile having a meeting scheduled.

• Like 3

On 2/11/2024 at 2:05 PM, NavyVeteran said:

I don't have experience with your specific group. DW always goes to the knitting group on board. On one cruise, they didn't have it scheduled. She asked at Guest Services, and it was scheduled within two days. I believe it would probably be the same for any other group.

If you ask at Guest Services, you may want to request a specific location - or at least not to schedule you at a bar that is open during your meeting.

On one of our Silversea cruises, it was in a bar, but no bartender.  Our friend wandered in to get a drink and all the liquor was pushed to one side, which he thought was strange.  Since the cruise was all inclusive, he figured it to be a self service bar.  So he poured himself a drink.  He saw a group there and asked if anyone else wanted one, and they looked at him oddly  Later that day, he told us what happened and then asked, BTW what is Friends of Bill W?  He had no idea.

• Like 2
  • Haha 7

1 hour ago, cruisinsince75 said:

So he poured himself a drink.  He saw a group there and asked if anyone else wanted one, and they looked at him oddly 

They were practicing the program well that day.

• Thanks 1

On 2/11/2024 at 10:16 AM, Rescue Dog Mom said:

Hi,

Are you sure there isn’t a daily meeting on your cruise?

I just saw the “platter” (still a very strange name to me) someone just posted who is on the Crown and it’s listed at 4:00 in the wedding chapel. It is listed as Friends of Dr. Bob followed by Bill W. (lol, never seen it listed like that before).

I was just thinking back and I don’t ever remember in the past 20+ years of cruising on the majority of cruise lines there wasn’t a Friends of Bill meeting every afternoon.

We meet many life long friends at these meetings that we still keep in contact with today. I think you did a good job explaining that it’s not that we are tempted to drink (or drug) on the cruise, but simply want to meet similar people that we share a spiritual connection😊. But, once in a while there will be a newcomer that comes and yes, they are being tempted.

Cheers

• Like 3

On 2/12/2024 at 1:54 PM, Rescue Dog Mom said:

Thanks so much.  That explanation makes a lot of sense.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, AZjohn said:

Hi,

I just saw the “platter” (still a very strange name to me) someone just posted who is on the Crown and it’s listed at 4:00 in the wedding chapel. It is listed as Friends of Dr. Bob followed by Bill W. (lol, never seen it listed like that before).

I was just thinking back and I don’t ever remember in the past 20+ years of cruising on the majority of cruise lines there wasn’t a Friends of Bill meeting every afternoon.

We meet many life long friends at these meetings that we still keep in contact with today. I think you did a good job explaining that it’s not that we are tempted to drink (or drug) on the cruise, but simply want to meet similar people that we share a spiritual connection😊. But, once in a while there will be a newcomer that comes and yes, they are being tempted.

Cheers

Thanks! Yes, I see the meetings have been added. 

Edited by Rescue Dog Mom

23 hours ago, AZjohn said:

Hi,

Cheers

It's not the "platter". It's the "Patter".

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

40 minutes ago, AZjohn said:

🤣 Now it makes less sense to me🤣

From the Merriam Webster Dictionary

patter
1 of 4
verb (1)
pat·ter ˈpa-tər 
pattered; pattering; patters
Synonyms of patter
transitive verb

: to say or speak in a rapid or mechanical manner
intransitive verb

: to recite prayers (such as paternosters) rapidly or mechanically
: to talk glibly and volubly
: to speak or sing rapid-fire words in a theatrical performance
patterer 
ˈpa-tər-ər 
 noun
patter

2 of 4
noun (1)
: a specialized lingo : CANT
especially : the jargon of criminals (such as thieves)
: the spiel of a street hawker or of a circus barker
: empty chattering talk
a
(1)
: the rapid-fire talk of a comedian
(2)
: the talk with which an entertainer accompanies a routine
b
: the words of a comic song or of a rapidly spoken usually humorous monologue introduced into such a song
patter

3 of 4
verb (2)
intransitive verb

: to strike or pat rapidly and repeatedly
: to run with quick light-sounding steps
transitive verb

: to cause to patter
patter

4 of 4
noun (2)
: a quick succession of light sounds or pats

10 minutes ago, damiross said:

From the Merriam Webster Dictionary

patter
1 of 4
verb (1)
pat·ter ˈpa-tər 
Synonyms of patter
transitive verb

: to say or speak in a rapid or mechanical manner
intransitive verb

: to recite prayers (such as paternosters) rapidly or mechanically
: to talk glibly and volubly
: to speak or sing rapid-fire words in a theatrical performance
patterer 
ˈpa-tər-ər 
 noun
patter

2 of 4
noun (1)
: a specialized lingo : CANT
especially : the jargon of criminals (such as thieves)
: the spiel of a street hawker or of a circus barker
: empty chattering talk
a
(1)
: the rapid-fire talk of a comedian
(2)
: the talk with which an entertainer accompanies a routine
b
: the words of a comic song or of a rapidly spoken usually humorous monologue introduced into such a song
patter

3 of 4
verb (2)
intransitive verb

: to strike or pat rapidly and repeatedly
: to run with quick light-sounding steps
transitive verb

: to cause to patter
patter

4 of 4
noun (2)
: a quick succession of light sounds or pats

🤣 I don’t even know what you wrote but thanks for the laugh😊

Cheers

• Haha 1

Thanks for posting this, I know it's still up in the air about Sun Princess's offering but I'm hoping they offer a meeting on board. I'm only a few years in on my sobriety and I am a little concerned about the focus on drinking especially as I've had to book the premium package to match my husband (I'm happy for him to drink around me as he'll have a few which I'm happy for him to do). I know I can always call into my home group on zoom but as you said, sometimes it's just nice to know your not the only one and find another member of your tribe.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, tinkerbelluk said:

Thanks for posting this, I know it's still up in the air about Sun Princess's offering but I'm hoping they offer a meeting on board. I'm only a few years in on my sobriety and I am a little concerned about the focus on drinking especially as I've had to book the premium package to match my husband (I'm happy for him to drink around me as he'll have a few which I'm happy for him to do). I know I can always call into my home group on zoom but as you said, sometimes it's just nice to know your not the only one and find another member of your tribe.

You're not obligated to purchase the premium package.  Phone Princess, tell them you do not drink alcohol.  You will have to purchase the zero alcohol package and will lose out on prepaid grats, wifi and desserts!  Up to you to figure out whether it makes sense to you.

• Like 1