Getting to Malecon and church from cruise terminal in Puerto Vallarta

We are going to be on a cruise that stops in Puerto Vallarta and don't have an excursion. We want to go to the big church and the Malecon and I've read other posts in this section about doing that but wanted to double check. Once we get off the ship (Discovery Princess), will there be busses waiting there with signs saying Malecon or something like that and do we have to pay for them? I ordered pesos from my bank for what that is worth. I've also got Uber app on my phone which will probably work there. Do I need to do anything else or just get off the ship and buses will be waiting? Sorry, I know this has been asked before but I am a little uncertain.

There will be shuttles lined up at the port. You can also walk out to the main street and take a taxi. Yes, the shuttle will be priced as a one way pp. Taxi will be a flat rate but ask what the rate is before you get in. We've usually paid approx $10.00. for the two of us one way for a taxi. When you're ready to return go one block over from the Malecon (one way traffic) and flag down a taxi (easy to do) tell them back to the port and again price before you get in. 

We pay in USD for the small purchases we do in port, for us not worth getting pesos, but it's a personal choice.

• Like 1

There are public buses ($10 Mx per person, so just over $1 US for a couple), but my time and convenience is too important for me to deal with public buses.   I will pay a taxi driver $10 US for the ride for the two of us.  The taxi will drop you off at the near end of the Malecon.  

There are also vans/shuttles that charge $5US pp (unless the price has gone up), but I prefer a private taxi.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Mike45LC said:

There are public buses ($10 Mx per person, so just over $1 US for a couple), but my time and convenience is too important for me to deal with public buses.   I will pay a taxi driver $10 US for the ride for the two of us.  The taxi will drop you off at the near end of the Malecon.  

There are also vans/shuttles that charge $5US pp (unless the price has gone up), but I prefer a private taxi.

If you catch a normal taxi (not the ones you get inside the port area) you can ask the taxi to drop you just about anywhere.  So for example, you could take a taxi directly to the church rather then getting dropped at the beginning of the Malecon (i.e. Rosita Hotel).  In theory, taxi prices are set by zone and the entire area of Centro is the same zone...hence the fare should be the same being dropped at the Rosita or at the church.  Just keep in mind that too many taxis try to take advantage of cruisers, so you want some idea of the fare (which should be agreed to before you even get in a taxi).  These days, the regular taxis will want at least $150 (Pesos) from outside of the port (the street that faces Walmart) and drivers may well try to get $200.  Taxis generally will hold up to 4 people, so they are pretty reasonable if you have two couples.  

Also keep in mind that the so-called "Federal taxis" that operate inside the port operate with different fare rules.  Those cabs charge a price "per person" and not per taxi (the norm outside the port area).

In other words, a group of 4 can generally save about $10 (US) (to Centro)  by walking out of the port and making a deal with a normal taxi.

Hank

• Like 2

I am a frequent cruiser to Puerto Vallarta, and we usually get off the ship, exit the gate, and cross the street to the Walmart. From there, it's super easy to catch a cab or call an Uber (yes, Uber operates in PV). I find both are cheaper if you catch them somewhere other than the cruise terminal, and Uber is usually cheaper than a taxi. The going rate is anywhere from $10 U.S. to 200 pesos in each direction, if you get an honest cabbie. With Uber, the app makes them stay honest.