Tasman Sea crossing

I've cross the Tasman in a 4 berth catamaran and several times in cruise ships many thousand times larger.... it just depends on the weather..... It's not nearly as gnarly as the Foveaux Strait... Sometimes even the Cook Strait can be a bit lumpy... Just pack some scopolamine patches and whatever else you like for anti nausea... Find a place with a view of the horizon if you feel green and munch on some ginger candy or sip a cuppa lemon ginger tea.... Personally I find going for a brisk outdoor walk helps (can't do that on a catamaran 😆) and something starchy for my tummy. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

37 minutes ago, JanetAlice said:

I’ve read a couple of reports that this can be a rocky crossing. We will be doing it mid March. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks

As you can't do anything about the weather, just be prepared and bring whatever travel sickness medication you use. I find that a green apple helps - there is usually a supply in the buffet. 

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

We find just getting down to a lower deck and sit somewhere in the middle of the ship makes a big difference. We have twice been in a high veranda stateroom on the aft and we definitely have to get out of the room and hunker down on a lower deck during the day. 

We are doing it now. Be prepared as it is not smooth sailing! Last night the ship was tilted 30 degrees and going up and down and side to side. Trays of dishes and wine buckets were crashing to the floor in the dining room- on Oceania Nautica 

30 minutes ago, Travrat said:

We are doing it now. Be prepared as it is not smooth sailing! Last night the ship was tilted 30 degrees and going up and down and side to side. Trays of dishes and wine buckets were crashing to the floor in the dining room- on Oceania Nautica 

The Oceania Nautica is quite a small ship and twenty five years old. Probably not the best ship to cross the Tasman on. We have had relatively smooth crossings across the Tasman and had worse seas cruising to and from New Caledonia. Wherever you cruise, there is the chance the weather will affect the conditions you are sailing in. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

Mid-March wasn’t too bad: 2 days each way-2 mild rocking, 1 smooth as glass, 1 quite rocky, but nothing falling of the shelves.  Overall, much better than expected. 

Edited by elaine5
  • Like 2