Excursions in Ketchikan

Ber2048

Get the walking tour map from the visitor center. There are two walking tours, one loop around downtown and a linear walk south of downtown. We did both with a side diversion up to Cape Fox lodge overlooking town and a diversion along the Schoenbar trail through rainforest. The Totem Heritage Center is worth a visit to see historic Totem poles. Shopping along Creek Street is interesting. If the salmon are running, the salmon ladder is a good place to see salmon. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, dfilpus said:

Get the walking tour map from the visitor center. There are two walking tours, one loop around downtown and a linear walk south of downtown. We did both with a side diversion up to Cape Fox lodge overlooking town and a diversion along the Schoenbar trail through rainforest. The Totem Heritage Center is worth a visit to see historic Totem poles. Shopping along Creek Street is interesting. If the salmon are running, the salmon ladder is a good place to see salmon. 

Thank you so much for your reply. How much time did it take you to do both loops?

Our ship arrives at 10:00 A.M. and leaves at 6:00 P.M. 

2 hours ago, Ber2048 said:

Thank you so much for your reply. How much time did it take you to do both loops?

Our ship arrives at 10:00 A.M. and leaves at 6:00 P.M. 

We probably spent 6-7 hours, including shopping, the visit to the Totem Center, lunch and photography. 

• Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, dfilpus said:

We probably spent 6-7 hours, including shopping, the visit to the Totem Center, lunch and photography. 

Thanks for your reply. Sounds like a full day, but we should have enough time to see a lot. Should be fun. 

My favorite is the Deadliest Catch tour.  I also like the all-you-can’t-eat Dungeness crab feed at the George Inlet Lodge.  I do often wander around town though.  There is a free downtown shuttle bus that loops from the Safeway Mall to the Totem Heritage Center and stops at all the docks, the lumberjack show, the SE Alaska Discovery Center, and Creek Street.

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, wolfie11 said:

My favorite is the Deadliest Catch tour.  I also like the all-you-can’t-eat Dungeness crab feed at the George Inlet Lodge.  I do often wander around town though.  There is a free downtown shuttle bus that loops from the Safeway Mall to the Totem Heritage Center and stops at all the docks, the lumberjack show, the SE Alaska Discovery Center, and Creek Street.

Good info, thank you. 

Another DIY option in Ketchikan is the Tongass Historical Museum.  This museum and the Totem Heritage Center are operated by the City of Ketchikan, and have  small admission fees.

The SE Alaska Discovery Center accepts a number of different park passes.  Check their website for the list as you may have one, so would have free admission.

While we also enjoy the George Inlet Lodge dungeness crab, we generally dine at Annabelle's Keg & Chowder House.  Located right downtown in the old Gilmore Hotel.

• Thanks 1