Changing Stateroom to Higher Category

greg898

I have a 2025 booking that I want to move to a new balcony category that's showing $100 higher than my current category on the website today. However, the overall price of the cruise is $1000 more than when I made my initial booking. Princess is telling me I have to pay the full $1000 to get the new category. Does anyone know if there's any way around this? It just seems ridiculous to me since the incremental price different for them is the same whether I'm in my current balcony or pay the $100 to move and then they re-sell my old one at the new fare.

Say my original fare was $3000 for the cabin and today it's $4000 with the higher cabin being $4100. Princess will still be getting $7100 in both scenarios whether I keep my cabin or upgrade it.

I don't think it works like that. When the price goes up, it's across the board and any subsequent changes are subject to the new pricing structure. Same thing when the price goes down and people benefit from that. If the cabin was suddenly $1000 less, you would want the full lower price, not just the difference in category pricing. 

Your best bet is probably to stick with what you have and perhaps bid on an upgrade when you have that opportunity.

I don't think it works that way.  You will either have to cancel and re-book or refare.  In either case you would pay the current price for that cabin.   Keep watching the prices though.   If the fares drop you just might be able to snatch that new cabin.

It happened to me.   I saw the prince drop for my cruise.  I had a deluxe balcony and I was able to refare and get a mini suite for only $151 more.

Edited by rjack22
  • Like 1

On 2/15/2024 at 11:35 AM, greg898 said:

I have a 2025 booking that I want to move to a new balcony category that's showing $100 higher than my current category on the website today. However, the overall price of the cruise is $1000 more than when I made my initial booking. Princess is telling me I have to pay the full $1000 to get the new category. Does anyone know if there's any way around this? It just seems ridiculous to me since the incremental price different for them is the same whether I'm in my current balcony or pay the $100 to move and then they re-sell my old one at the new fare.

Say my original fare was $3000 for the cabin and today it's $4000 with the higher cabin being $4100. Princess will still be getting $7100 in both scenarios whether I keep my cabin or upgrade it.

Princess is correct.  It might make you feel better if you do a dummy booking and check the price for your current cabin.  You want to make sure that you comparing the same packages.  Did you book Standard, Plus, or Premier?  Yes, you will need to pay the difference between what your originally paid and the current price for the upgraded cabin.  Just make sure it is a true comparison with the same benefits.

As an alternative, you could make a bid for an upgrade when the bidding is available.

Good luck.

• Like 1

On 2/16/2024 at 8:35 AM, greg898 said:

You don’t say how much deposit you paid… Sometimes the economics can work out for you depending on how you want to play the game of booking.

We’ve had a Club Class Minisuite with Premier Package booked for a sailing on a $25pp non-refundable deposit. Latest offer on Princess showed we could book a Penthouse Suite for just $100 more on a $98pp deposit with just the Basic fare. We’ve cancelled the mini and forfeited the $50 deposit in favour of the Penthouse. Will upgrade to the Plus drinks package later. We aren’t huge alcohol drinkers and don’t care about the majority of the Premium perks we now won’t get. And, we will now get some different perks from being in a full suite. Worth it for us. But others might make different choices! 

Something to consider, The bidding system.  You could put in a bid for the category you want to move to and it may be accepted.  You never know.  I too believe what the other posters are saying, it just does not work that way.