How can I find out if a shuttle is offered in Le Verdon port?

Crystaltipps67

We are on Sky next month (yay) and one of the stops is the back end of nowhere  - Le Verdon, France, which is billed as Bordeaux, but really isn't anywhere close. Apparently there is NOTHING at the port, no taxis, no public transport. Nada, nights, nowt. Now we don't want to be spending all day on an over-priced Princess excursion to Bordeaux that will mostly be spent on a bus, but nor do we really want to have to spend the day on board as there are already quite a few sea days on this voyage. We are more than happy mooching around locally, but the nearest town (Soulac-sur-mer) is still a bit far to walk to from what I can see.  I hope that Princess will at least put on a shuttle (overpriced, no doubt, but beggars can't be choosers) . But I can't find a way of finding that out in advance of getting on board. Do you wise ones have any recent experience of Le Vernon, or know how I can establish if there's a shuttle as it will help me to plan how we'll spend that day.

Many thanks.

• Crystaltipps67 changed the title to How can I find out if a shuttle is offered in Le Verdon port?

We were there in Nov. 2022 and it turned out to be a great port stop. Yes, a shuttle bus to Soulac was provided at a reasonable rate by Princess (although not announced in advance). 
We had a great blue-sky day touring the pretty town, strolling the clean wide beaches, and enjoying an outdoor cafe with fresh mussels, frites and local wines. 
I hope you enjoy a similarly wonderful day! It’s definitely not the “back end of nowhere”.2363FEE5-1217-4542-83B4-92A593A0FCD6.thumb.jpeg.7f90343cc7812a2b433f5dbe522b7e59.jpeg65626BCD-55C4-490C-9DC1-238B2A6F3949.thumb.jpeg.d59d8481fbf91f23ebdcb8c1e031f6bb.jpeg

• Like 3

We visited Le Verdun a while back, though it was with NCL, not Princess.

The cruise company offered a paid-for shuttle to Soulac, though it wasn't advertised in advance.

We didn't want to go to Bordeaux or take the shuttle, so we just walked off the ship and through the port gate and went for a long and pleasant walk along the coast, as did quite a few other passengers.

NCL very much tried to imply that it wasn't possible to leave the port area, and but this was not the case at all, however uninviting the port area initially looked from the top deck of the ship.

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, fastforwardcoach said:

Looks like this is for the 25 March 2024 cruise on Sky Princess.

There is a roll call for this at: THIS LINK

Also a chance to sign up to the Meet & Greet being organised for Tuesday 26 March at 11.00-12.00 at Take Five

Thanks all. I've already searched the boards and there's nothing recent about what Princess offers in terms of shuttle. I'm on the roll call but it's not been active in terms of this port. For info - I contacted Virginie months ago and she's not currently doing tours as she is just about to have a baby! When I said it was the back end of nowhere I meant the port - I am keen to visit Soulac. My concern as someone who both wants to be organised and have stuff planned but also doesn't want to pay over the odds, is that it would be really nice if Princess announced up front if there was going to be a shuttle so that I could plan. I will investigate cabs and try to book one in advance. Thanks again all.

20 hours ago, alanstarr said:

In October (on NCL), I did a half-day tour with Vigne Authentique. Picked up and dropped off at the port, and visited a couple wineries. Would definitely recommend. 

She's about to have a baby. I contacted her some months ago as she was the only sensibly priced tour on offer. Everything else (well I can actually only find one other company - Orpheus - which is ridiculously expensive!

• Like 1

I was there in the fall of 2022. There was a shuttle to Soulac but not sure if it was free or nominal cost. Nice little main street to wander down to the beach.

• Like 1

We stopped here on the Emerald Princess in fall 2022 and there was a FREE shuttle bus to Soulac sur Mer. It’s a very pretty little beach town. They said the ride would be about 20 minutes, but it was only about 10-15 minutes  away. 

IMG_2122.jpeg

IMG_2119.jpeg

• Like 1