Geiranger hop-on hop-off bus

Hello!  We will have one day in Geiranger in early June.  I saw some travel vlogs bout the hop-on hop-off bus and that seems like it will meet our needs.  I went online to try to reserve ahead of time, but the date we will be in port is grayed out.  Everything I read says tickets can be bought near the visitors center on the day in port, but should I be concerned that the date is currently grayed out for pre-booking?  I’m not sure this means they are sold out or just not taking pre-bookings.  Has anyone experienced this and still been able to buy tickets the day of? 

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone contacted the company? There is a possibility that they have chartered their buses out to the cruise lines, and nothing will be available on the day. There is also the possibility that they are holding them for walk-ins. You might get an answer if you contact them.

• 2 weeks later...

From experience it may be worth waiting until you arrive.

We did just that and chose a cheaper option as the weather was so poor it wasn't worth spending a lot of money to be on a bus seeing nothing but thick fog and heavy rain.  We did go to the peak above the fjord and saw the ship for a few seconds!

We're there on July 9, 2024, and our date was also greyed out.  We're also the only ship in port, with about 2100 passengers.

Our plan was to take the HOHO, but since I couldn't reserve tickets, we decided instead to take a ranger-led guided hike along the falls from the Fjord Center.

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Thejuggler said:

From experience it may be worth waiting until you arrive.

We did just that and chose a cheaper option as the weather was so poor it wasn't worth spending a lot of money to be on a bus seeing nothing but thick fog and heavy rain.  We did go to the peak above the fjord and saw the ship for a few seconds!

We were in Bergen on one of those days and took the prebooked tram up the mountain we had already paid for (we prebooked it since I'd read that the lines are really long on beautiful days to buy tickets on the spot).  It was so foggy you couldn't see anything.  We were traveling with a 6 and 2 year old, so the kids loved the ride even without a view  (and they also loved the  playground on the top of the mountain) but if it had just been us it would have been  a waste.

Edited by kitkat343