Stingray city sandbar swimming ability

debbrilacy

If it is the same one that  most people use, no swimming is required.  You just stand in waist-deep water holding the food and the rays come to you. When we were there, a parent had (foolishly) brought a young child (maybe 4 or 5).  The water, of course, was over her head and her dad had to hold her the entire time.  Plus the rays coming up apparently terrified her and the poor little thing cried most of the time.

• Thanks 1

I have been several times and yes you can stand without knowing how to swim but I can say that the water usually isn't "waist deep". It's more like chest deep for the most part. 

Here's the last time we went with tons of pictures and you can tell how deep it is. Definitely doable for someone that can't swim. We've never had life jackets on during it. 

STINGRAYS

• 3 weeks later...

I have a question about the cruise ship excursions to stingray city - specifically, from Princess, though I’m sure they’re more or less the same regardless of which cruise line you’re on. 

I believe you are typically taken out with a boat to the “stingray city”, and get off this boat to step into the water, right? What happens to your belongings while you’re off this boat? Are they locked up in any way? or otherwise kept safe? 

11 hours ago, mrrom92 said:

I have a question about the cruise ship excursions to stingray city - specifically, from Princess, though I’m sure they’re more or less the same regardless of which cruise line you’re on. 

I believe you are typically taken out with a boat to the “stingray city”, and get off this boat to step into the water, right? What happens to your belongings while you’re off this boat? Are they locked up in any way? or otherwise kept safe? 

You leave them on the boat. I have never been on any boat excursion where they lock things up. The boat will be right there where you are at. There's someone on the boat (usually the captain) that watches things. 

• Like 1

I’ve been there twice and both times the water was chest deep. But you don’t have to know how to swim unless you’re going to be totally terrified of the water.

3 hours ago, Marie51 said:

I’ve been there twice and both times the water was chest deep. But you don’t have to know how to swim unless you’re going to be totally terrified of the water.

Thank you so much for your reply!  I think my husband is going to do it! 

22 hours ago, lynncarol said:

maybe if you are on the shorter side it is chest-deep water.  My husband is 6'4" and I am also tall so to us it was about waist-deep.

I’m 4’10”!  But, I can swim if needed!