Need help: Kristiansand excursions

Kristiansand is not a port with a ton of great options. The Sedestal railway is the best thing there ... and today Celebrity canceled it (don't know why).  Now everything else is sold out, although none of that looked really amazing (Mineral Park, historic walk downtown, etc).

What have you done in Kristiansand that was good, or maybe something outside of Ksand that is worth going to see? Got a tour guide to recommend?  I need some help for my day in Ksand.  We'll be there from 1:00 to 8:00 p.m.  Thanks.

Here is what my husband and I did in Kristiansand in 2016.  Not sure where the ship docks anymore, but back then it was only a short walk to the Odderoya Peninsula. This former military area  has been converted into a large park. There are still defensive armaments there that overlook the sea, some dating to the 1800s.  Guns, ramparts, abandoned buildings etc. and when we were there in September, wild blackberry and blueberries lined the trails.  At the top of the park are the ruins of an old fort with a spectacular view,  a perfect spot for a picnic. I'd definitely check when the park closes: that was not an issue as we docked there in early morning.

Alternatively, you could walk to Ravnedalen Park, which is supposed to be lovely.  We had intended to do that after the Peninsula, but it was a long walk to get there and though we eventually saw the entrance in the distance, our energy was spent and we headed back to the ship.   

• Like 1

5 hours ago, lynncarol said:

Here is what my husband and I did in Kristiansand in 2016.  Not sure where the ship docks anymore, but back then it was only a short walk to the Odderoya Peninsula. This former military area  has been converted into a large park. There are still defensive armaments there that overlook the sea, some dating to the 1800s.  Guns, ramparts, abandoned buildings etc. and when we were there in September, wild blackberry and blueberries lined the trails.  At the top of the park are the ruins of an old fort with a spectacular view,  a perfect spot for a picnic. I'd definitely check when the park closes: that was not an issue as we docked there in early morning.

Alternatively, you could walk to Ravnedalen Park, which is supposed to be lovely.  We had intended to do that after the Peninsula, but it was a long walk to get there and though we eventually saw the entrance in the distance, our energy was spent and we headed back to the ship.   

Wonderful.  Thank you so very much!

• 4 weeks later...

Are there any museums (especially Resistance Museums) in Kristiansand?  Many years ago we visited such a museum (in Oslo I believe). It was fascinating and we were disappointed that we had so little time there. I love the history of the resistance movements during World War II and would be so glad to find one on this trip. 

14 hours ago, wandb said:

Are there any museums (especially Resistance Museums) in Kristiansand?  Many years ago we visited such a museum (in Oslo I believe). It was fascinating and we were disappointed that we had so little time there. I love the history of the resistance movements during World War II and would be so glad to find one on this trip. 

If you are going to Copenhagen there is one there: Museum of Danish Resistance.The one is Oslo is amazing: Norway Resistance Museum.

We visited Kristiansand a few years ago and thought it was a very pretty town. It was easy to walk around from where we were docked by the fish market. We walked into the centre of town to the Cathedral where they used to give free organ concerts at 11am and 3pm on days when cruise ships are in. I don’t know if they still do. The Cathedral itself was very attractive with a beautiful ceiling in light Scandinavian woods. Next we walked through the old town of terraces of old, white wooden houses, called Posebyen. Then we went over to the waterfront and saw the Christiansholm Fortress with 8 big cannons. That led on to a series of delightful parks and gardens with lots of statues and even large sand sculptures. There was a lovely fountain with three connecting ponds, each with a big modern stone fountain. There were lots of flowers everywhere. The fish market is also worth a visit. Later my husband took a walk out to Odderøya Lighthouse. We thought it was a very nice place to visit.