Cruise specific Insurance with Covid cover for New Caledonia

Dear ANZ experts,

Carnival Australia mentions that New Caledonia requires a mandatory travel insurance with cruise specific and Covid specific cover.

https://help.carnival.com.au/app/answers/detail/a_id/4566/~/do-i-need-travel-insurance%3F

I already have a one year multi trip travel insurance for the whole world.

It includes Covid, but it doesn't mention anything about cruises.

So how much Cruise specific travel insurance should I take for 12 nights on a Carnival Splendor cruise from Sydney to New Caledonia ?

USD 50000, 150000, 250000 or 600000?

Thanks, drsel

Screenshot_20240227-170610.jpg

Edited by drsel

I have the impression that you might be from USA because the details you mention re travel insurance are not anything I have seen here. Our travel insurances either include cruises automatically, or with a couple, we have to specify cruising and pay a very small surcharge. With the type of insurance you mention, I would take the lowest coverage because presumably that will cost you the least. I feel that US$50,000 would more than cover any possible expense. (These are just my opinions.)

We use a complimentary travel insurance that is attached to our ANZ Platinum Visa credit card. It includes cruising.

• Thanks 1

Obviously I have no specific knowledge of the multi trip travel insurance you already have, but is it possible to contact the insurance company and add cruise coverage to the policy?

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Aus Traveller said:

Our travel insurances either include cruises automatically, or with a couple, we have to specify cruising and pay a very small surcharge. With the type of insurance you mention, I would take the lowest coverage because presumably that will cost you the least. I feel that US$50,000 would more than cover any possible expense. (These are just my opinions.)

We use a complimentary travel insurance that is attached to our ANZ Platinum Visa credit card. It includes cruising.

1 hour ago, ceeceeDee said:

Obviously I have no specific knowledge of the multi trip travel insurance you already have, but is it possible to contact the insurance company and add cruise coverage to the policy?

Thanks,

Does Carnival check whether your travel insurance has cruise specific and Covid specific cover for a cruise from Sydney to Lifou and Noumea in New Caledonia?

Edited by drsel

I have been on a few cruises that called into New Caledonia in the last two years. Each time at check in I was asked if I had insurance. I pulled out the hard copy of my insurance details and an email from the bank to show that we were covered.  They didn't really look at it.

I feel that you should have a policy that covers cruising, but (as I said earlier) I would take the least expensive option you can find.

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

I have been on a few cruises that called into New Caledonia in the last two years. Each time at check in I was asked if I had insurance. I pulled out the hard copy of my insurance details and an email from the bank to show that we were covered.  They didn't really look at it.

I feel that you should have a policy that covers cruising, but (as I said earlier) I would take the least expensive option you can find.

The $50000 policy has only $1000 cruise specific cover

The $150000 policy has only $1500 cruise specific cover

The $250000 policy has only $2000 cruise specific cover

The $600000 policy has only $2500 cruise specific cover

All quotes are in US dollars

Edited by drsel

Just now, drsel said:

The $50000 policy has only $1000 cruise specific cover

The $150000 policy has only $1500 cruise specific cover

The $250000 policy has only $2000 cruise specific cover

The $600000 policy has only $2500 cruise specific cover

That changes things. I thought you previous mention of these amounts referred to the amount of cover you would have while on a cruise. US$50,00 would be plenty, but $1,000 could be risky. If one of you became ill on the ship, your bill would very quickly reach $1,000.

5 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

That changes things. I thought you previous mention of these amounts referred to the amount of cover you would have while on a cruise. US$50,00 would be plenty, but $1,000 could be risky. If one of you became ill on the ship, your bill would very quickly reach $1,000.

I'm young, healthy and traveling alone, so will the US $250,000 policy with US $2,000 cruise specific cover be adequate just for 1 person?

Edited by drsel

Just now, drsel said:

I'm traveling alone, so will the US $25000 policy with US $2000 cruise specific cover be adequate?

That should be enough unless you became seriously ill and needed to be evacuated from the ship. Your call ......

What happens if you slip on a wet deck and break a bone and have to be medically evacuated by helicopter? That might cost $40,000.   And it does happen. Last year I was on two cruises where someone had the misfortune of a helicopter evacuation. I would see if you can get insurance cover for cruise medical only.

1 hour ago, joejoe 59 said:

I know that people are now denied boarding if they don't have any cover or correct cover for New Caledonia.

Thanks, so will a US $250,000 travel insurance with only $2000 cruise specific cover be adequate just to ensure boarding, never mind the helicopter evacuation.

Edited by drsel

I think you need to ask this question directly to Carnival, and if they say Yes, get that in writing.  WhenI went on the same Carnival cruise in 2023, on embarkation they looked carefully at my travel insurance policy, to the point of actually getting the Terms and Conditions up online.

• Like 1

I would definitely phone your insurance company to discuss what the policy covers. The 'cruise specific ' term may just refer to minor items like cabin confinement, missed ports, etc, but your main general cover may still cover you for medical expenses irrespective of what type of travel you're doing.  Most Australian policies will have unlimited medical expenses but you need to ensure it covers cruising. I'm sure authorities in New Caledonia would definitely not consider $2000 medical cover adequate. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Tripmode33 said:

I would definitely phone your insurance company to discuss what the policy covers. The 'cruise specific ' term may just refer to minor items like cabin confinement, missed ports, etc, but your main general cover may still cover you for medical expenses irrespective of what type of travel you're doing.  Most Australian policies will have unlimited medical expenses but you need to ensure it covers cruising. I'm sure authorities in New Caledonia would definitely not consider $2000 medical cover adequate. 

But whatever happens in New Caledonia will be on land and off the ship and covered in the general travel insurance of USD 250,000, (not cruise specific USD 2000)

I also have another 1 year multi trip travel insurance of USD 500,000 which specifically covers Covid.

10 hours ago, drsel said:

But whatever happens in New Caledonia will be on land and off the ship and covered in the general travel insurance of USD 250,000, (not cruise specific USD 2000)

I also have another 1 year multi trip travel insurance of USD 500,000 which specifically covers Covid.

Sounds like you are pretty well covered for what New Caledonia would be worrried about.

If taking out multiple policies, I would suggest taking with same insurer or underwriter. The first question asked when I made a travel claim was 'are you covered fully or partially by another insurance policy '. Both will argue you're covered under other policy and may be situation where neither will agree to pay out......

10 minutes ago, Tripmode33 said:

Sounds like you are pretty well covered for what New Caledonia would be worrried about.

If taking out multiple policies, I would suggest taking with same insurer or underwriter. The first question asked when I made a travel claim was 'are you covered fully or partially by another insurance policy '. Both will argue you're covered under other policy and may be situation where neither will agree to pay out......

Thanks, the one year multi trip travel insurance which I already have includes Covid but doesn't mention Cruise ship anywhere.

So that's why I was wondering whether I should take the other $250000 policy which is called Cruise elite Pro, but covers only $2000 on the cruise ship.

10 hours ago, drsel said:

Thanks, the one year multi trip travel insurance which I already have includes Covid but doesn't mention Cruise ship anywhere.

So that's why I was wondering whether I should take the other $250000 policy which is called Cruise elite Pro, but covers only $2000 on the cruise ship.

It could be worth checking with the company you have the multi trip insurance with, to see if they cover cruises.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Aus Traveller said:

It could be worth checking with the company you have the multi trip insurance with, to see if they cover cruises.

I agree - unless they specifically exclude cruising, the existing policy may well cover it. Certainly worth asking them to clarify/confirm. Email may be better than phone as then you'd have it in writing.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
13 hours ago, Aus Traveller said:

5 hours ago, Tripmode33 said:

I agree - unless they specifically exclude cruising, the existing policy may well cover it. Certainly worth asking them to clarify/confirm. Email may be better than phone as then you'd have it in writing.

I called the customer care. they don't have any policy to cover Cruise ships and there is no option to add a rider to cover Cruises, even if I pay for it.

Hence I will be forced to take another policy of a different insurance company.

They provide four options for Cruises

US $50,000, with US $1000 for cruises

US $150,000, with US $1500 for cruises

US $250,000, with US $2000 for cruises

US $600,000, with US $2500 for cruises.

I was thinking of taking USD 250000 hoping that USD 2000 for Cruises will be adequate ONLY to allow me to board at the Carnival checkin at Sydney.

Edited by drsel

That seems inadequate. Have you tried some other US companies?  Is there a comparison site that you could use to get a better deal?   Maybe ask on another Cruise Critic forum what experienced cruisers from the US get their cruise insurance from?