Star Princess 2025

nasa1974

7 minutes ago, PacnGoNow said:

They need to maximize changes!  So many issues on the Sun.😳

Sounds like the changes are happening, but on the Sun.  Unlike when the Royal Princess came out and improvements were made on the Regal, Princess has realized that the Sun needs to be changed immediately.  
I don’t think Princess had a fully formed idea of how they wanted Sun Princess to work when they designed her.

Edited by Abercrombie2019
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Abercrombie2019 said:

Sounds like the changes are happening, but on the Sun.  Unlike when the Royal Princess came out and improvements were made on the Regal, Princess has realized that the Sun needs to be changed immediately.  
I don’t think Princess had a fully formed idea of how they wanted Sun Princess to work when they designed her.

They began with a blank piece of paper to create a new experience but they appear to have made some poor decisions which are quickly being changed. Things such as repurposing dining rooms, removing the upper deck Park 19 play area and a too small showroom with recent posts stating they now need 2 evening & 1 matinee performance.

I was eager to sail on Royal’s 2013 inaugural transatlantic sailing but that ship’s design was described as an evolutionary change from their other classes of ships but it was not a revolutionary change. The Sun-class is a revolutionary change in Princess ships…some changes are positive for me but more are negatives.

Hopefully Princess can iron out the issues on this new class of ship to be successful. However even then the design issues & more of a 3-class experience will likely never be desirable for me but hopefully I am wrong.

Change can be good although not always…Royal-class changes were good for me but unfortunately based on posts the Sun-class appears to not be better for me…it’s good to have choices. 🙂

• Like 2

Whilst a clean-sheet, Princess would have had a fairly clear idea in their head of what they wanted to develop.  They would've been on the newest available similar sized ships at the time, probably things like the Quantum Class, and had a look at what looked like it was working and what were problems.  

Some things have definitely gone wrong such as Park 19 but some of the other things such as the expansion of the Signature zone is more a reflection of how cruise ships have continued to evolve and Princess were a bit later to this party than some other lines.

Princess do have a habit of slightly botching their first of types.  Grand Princess had design issues that eventually meant its shopping trolley handle had to be removed; these issues were partially resolved before Golden and Star Princess were launched and completely changed for later ships.  Likewise, Royal Princess had numerous design SNAFUs that were gradually resolved as latter built siblings were launched.  Even the original Sun class evolved over its life.  What is interesting, as has been mentioned, is Princess is not waiting for later ships to evolve the design but changing Sun Princess itself after only 6 months.  This is either a sign of clear management determination to get things right or dire passenger surveys meaning they have no choice.