NCL App

I have a log in and account set up with the NCL site and app.  When we get on the ship, will my husband need his own log in and password, or does he just use the app with my login info?

If you both want to use your 150-minutes of internet at the same time if you have FAS, then he will need his own login. We purchase the unlimited leser WiFi and we share my id, with only one of us on at a time. If he wants to be on at the same time, then he uses his id and his 150-minutes.

It is handy for him to have his own id anyway, as some things can get split and he will only see things related to him. For instance, NCLH owners' benefit, I only see the $50 given to me on my part of the bill, not his. Or else, I only will see my cruise next points, not his.

Ergo, I would recommend that he get his own login. He can always let you know what it is.

4 minutes ago, ZsaZsa2019 said:

I have a log in and account set up with the NCL site and app.  When we get on the ship, will my husband need his own log in and password, or does he just use the app with my login info?

Everything is separate including his own purchasing (key card) and activities.  Separate bills at the end

Related question: my kids won't have an internet package but will want to use the NCL app on their phones. Is it fair to assume they will need their own logins, or should I just log them into the apps as me? They're not quite old enough to have NCL accounts but old enough not to mess around with things they shouldn't.

I just want to be able to message them, really, without paying for wifi for them.

Thanks!

3 minutes ago, rbxlady said:

I just want to be able to message them, really, without paying for wifi for them.

Thanks!

I can't really answer your question about the app for your kids, but is it correct that we pay $10 per person for the messaging on the app?  I think then you would have to get them all set up and pay that for everyone...............

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

8 minutes ago, rbxlady said:

just want to be able to message them, really, without paying for wifi for them.

there are no easy answers to your questions.

if everybody is on a iPhone or other apple device, you won't need the NCL app for messaging. at the present time, there is a backdoor for iOS devices that allows messaging to go through via iMessage. no fee, no registration. works for those on and off the ship. you just have to be connected to the ship's intranet and you don't need the NCL app for that.

if one or more of you are on android devices, then you'll need the NCL app, you will need to pay $10 per person and everybody will need their own login. (if you sign them in to their devices with your login, you'd just be - in effect - repeatedly texting yourself.)

similarly, if they want to use the NCL app for schedules and for booking of reservations and such, they will need - obviously - to download the app and will need their own logins.

Edited by UKstages
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, UKstages said:
9 minutes ago, UKstages said:

if everybody is on a iPhone or other apple device, you won't need the NCL app for messaging. at the present time, there is a backdoor for iOS devices that allows messaging to go through via iMessage. no fee, no registration. works for those on and off the ship. you just have to be connected to the ship's intranet and you don't need the NCL app for that.

Sorry, the whole internet on the ship thing has me so confused.  I realize we "should" be able to iMessage on iphone to iphone (I heard it usually works, but not always), but when you say you "just have to be connected to the ship's internet" doesn't that count against our FAS 150 min of internet?

3 hours ago, jdc987 said:

Everything is separate including his own purchasing (key card) and activities.  Separate bills at the end

I do not recall if there is a way to call up charges on your account separately by user, but it sure is one combined bill on the account.

Posted (edited)

I find that there at least are 5 different things at play that commonly get mixed up with one another:

1. iMessaging - associated with iPhones, can use when connected to ship intranet, internet not needed.  Nothing needed other than a digital connection between the two (onboard, it's the ship's intranet - connect to the ship, wifi not needed).

2. the NCL app - is an app you get from the app store, log in to the same NCL account as you would from computer.  (Installing the app on your phone and a someone else's phone and then logging in with the same ID won't work well for you).

3. ship's intranet - put your phone on airplane mode and connect to the ship to utilize iMessaging; at no cost, you can access your onboard account, ship info, reservations, dailies.

4. internet package (wifi you pay for: FAS, upgraded, unlimited. etc) - slow slow slow internet, must log in to use, if you don't have unlimited, be sure to log out or your clock keeps running even if your not using it.

5. NCL's $10 per device service that allows different devices to communicate with each other.

The NCL app (#2) requires an account, and I don't think it will work on two devices at the same time, one will get booted.

I forget if you need the NCL app (#2) in order to access the dailies and your account onboard account or if there's a way to access the onboard info from the intranet (#3) only.

I forget if you need the NCL app (#2) or if there's a separate app to utilize the $10 per device to communicate with each other function.

The one thing that they have in common is that they are not all reliable as they all rely on being connected tot he ship, and I've found you have to constantly check to make sure you're connected since you get disconnected often.  Which means in order for my kid and I to communicate (since he's always off with his Entourage group) my phone has to be connected and so does his.  We're both constantly checking otherwise messages won't get delivered.

I use Android and he has an iPhone.  First time, we paid the $10pp.  Experience (connectivity) was not great, especially with the price.  Since then, I bring an old backup iPhone so we can iMessage for free.  I have an account, he doesn't - I can see the dailies and onboard account, while he has no need to.  I have him take pics of the Entourage schedule and schedule from the paper dailies delivered each night.

Edited by n4w

1 hour ago, ZsaZsa2019 said:

Sorry, the whole internet on the ship thing has me so confused.  I realize we "should" be able to iMessage on iphone to iphone (I heard it usually works, but not always), but when you say you "just have to be connected to the ship's internet" doesn't that count against our FAS 150 min of internet?

Ship WiFi is separate and different than internet access, which you have to log on and off everytime.

Ship WiFi also serves as the Intranet. It allows you to access the NCL app, including the NCL-provided messenger that costs $9.95/per day (unless they've raised the price). If you and those you're messaging are on an iPhone you will probably be able to iMessage using just the INTRAnet. You do not need to login to the INTERnet to access this, so it will not count against your Free at Sea minutes. 

Posted (edited)

but when you say you "just have to be connected to the ship's internet" doesn't that count against our FAS 150 min of internet?

it would if that's what i had said. but i didn't say that. i said you had to be connected to the ship's intranet. not the internet, as others have stated.

those are two different words. look closely at the spelling.

the intranet is an internal closed loop network that exists for communications only onboard the ship. you can connect to the intranet to use the app or you can connect to the intranet to utilize the back door iMessage loophole. no use of internet minutes is required.

what makes this confusing to some is that you do in fact access the internet (communications on the world wide web beyond your ship) by first connecting to the same intranet, which people commonly refer to as the ship's wi-fi. all these terms are used rather indiscriminately, but they have unique meanings. once connected to the NCL network, you can activate internet minutes through the app or by logging on to the website "login.now."

33 minutes ago, jdc987 said:

Ship WiFi is separate and different than internet access, which you have to log on and off everytime.

sort of.

but you connect to the intranet and the internet by using the very same wifi network.

which is why many find this so confusing.

Edited by UKstages
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, UKstages said:

it would if that's what i had said. but i didn't say that. i said you had to be connected to the ship's intranet. not the internet, as others have stated.

those are two different words. look closely at the spelling.

Sorry, not as tech savvy as you.  I knew I should have just left it up to my husband to make sure we do this right, he's the computer engineer.  I was just trying to wrap my head around it a little better.

Thanks for your help.

Y'all are so knowledgeable, I appreciate it! We are all iPhone users, so we would be iMessaging. I had heard about a loophole but didn't know if it was "closed". Thanks!

well, i hate to have to say this... and i hate to bury it in this nondescript thread, but here goes: apple is making major changes to iMessage this year. it's mostly about taking future-proof security measures, but the iOS 17.4 update will include changes to iMessage that may forever end the text massage backdoor loophole.

or so i fear.

too soon to tell.

the new PQ3 messaging protocol is all about protecting your messages as they travel through cyber space. it's part of their post-quantum cryptography plan. but it might mean you'll have to fork over ten bucks to text. on the plus side, the android/iOS incompatibility will be a thing of the past as part of this same update.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, cruiseny4life said:

It allows you to access the NCL app, including the NCL-provided messenger that costs $9.95/per day.

I remember this being a one-time fee per person, not per day. Am I remembering wrong?  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, TenForward said:

I remember this being a one-time fee per person, not per day. Am I remembering wrong?  

It’s 9.95 per cruise, not per day

• Thanks 2

13 hours ago, TenForward said:

What you and @zqvol said. I had to look it up this morning after y'all's comments. I had no idea it was per cruise. I'm not sure why folks grouse about purchasing it given that it's a per cruise fee, not per day. 

Thank you both for making sure the correct info is here!

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
15 hours ago, TenForward said:

Thank goodness! If iMessaging doesn't work for whatever reason, I don't mind spending $20 for our kids to have access to the NCL app for the week, especially if it gives them the daily rundown. I wasn't up for spending $140 for the week, though, especially when our cruise is slightly more port-intensive than our last one, just for access to the app.

Edited by rbxlady
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, UKstages said:

(if you sign them in to their devices with your login, you'd just be - in effect - repeatedly texting yourself.)

Oh, I just read this more carefully. That makes sense. If I need to buy them access to the app, then I'll just create accounts for them and make sure I put the login info in a safe place so we can access it for later. Thank you!

11 minutes ago, rbxlady said:

Thank goodness! If iMessaging doesn't work for whatever reason, I don't mind spending $20 for our kids to have access to the NCL app for the week, especially if it gives them the daily rundown. I wasn't up for spending $140 for the week, though, especially when our cruise is slightly more port-intensive than our last one, just for access to the app.

Sorry I confused you!! Sometimes I'm an idiot. I'm glad others corrected my nonsense. 

On 3/5/2024 at 10:36 AM, rbxlady said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the app is free on the ship. No fees and it shows you everything about your cruise.

Texting is not included for free. IMessaging is a different story of course.

On 3/5/2024 at 10:48 AM, cruiseny4life said:

Sorry I confused you!! Sometimes I'm an idiot. I'm glad others corrected my nonsense. 

No worries! It's easy to forget details sometimes. We're only human 🙂

• Thanks 1

On 3/7/2024 at 12:36 PM, Lionkingrichard said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the app is free on the ship. No fees and it shows you everything about your cruise.

Texting is not included for free. IMessaging is a different story of course.

Thankfully we all have iPhones. At worst, if NCL closed whatever loophole that allows that, or if something got messed up, I don't mind having to pay $20 to get them both set up for the week.