First Person Account of the fire on the Star

Host Jacquelyn

Damn! That was some terrible damage to the ship, from what it looked like on TV. If a passenger caused this damage by a cigarette on the blacony, can they bar that passenger from ever getting on their cruise ship again? If I was on a cruise and spent all that money and was affected by someone's negligent smoking, I'd be pretty angry.

Maybe they will sue them for damages.

If it turns out the fire was caused by negligent smoker (or even if not) this makes a good case to ban smoking in rooms and even balconies. With the majority of people being non-smokers (at least Americian as I understand) why even allow smoking on a ship. From my many observatilons smokers are most inconsiderate, smoking in designated non smoking area, walking around decks and halls with lit cigarettes, etc. Not to mention the dangers of 2nd hand smoke.

The Paradise was so nice when we took her a few years back and she was all non smoking.

At a minimum have just one or two enclosed and fire proofed smoking areas on board. Hospitals, office buildings and even towns totally ban smoking. Why not cruise ships. Why chance a fire and endanger the rest of us.

"In my opinion Princess handled this fire far better than Carnival"

MikeKool- FYI- Princess is owned by Carnival- they are the same company!

I think that it was handled well- A middle of the night fire in the cabin area while at sea- Kudos for the captain, crew and passengers!!!

Sorry, I was confused on the Celebrity connection to "which" MAJOR cruise line.

It's what happens when you're over 50!

About the "extras"...

I cruised before you had to pay $25. extra a night to get a "good" meal.

I always thought dinner would be great every night in the dining room.

And it was.

At least on Princess, you do not have to pay extra for a good meal. You do have an OPTION of paying extra to get a really super special meal. But the food elsewhere is still "good", in fact, IMO more than just "good".

Cheers!

The fire damage picture sure is a scary sight. The thought of being out at sea and something like this happening gives one a feeling of not being in control at all.

I've seen people throw a cigarette overboard. It's a long way down over the railing and with motion, wind and things that can ignite on exposed balconies (ie:towels), it's such a stupid thing to do. No one is so important that they should disregard the many lives they can impact by one careless move.

If they find that this fire was caused by careless disposal of a cigarette, shame on that person. There are many "polite smokers" but unfortunately, all it takes is one careless, thoughtless person to takes lives, cause property damage or ruin many people's vacation plans.

To be honest, I don't why smoking is allowed on ships since you are out in the middle of the ocean and can't just jump out a window if there is a fire. It's a whole different scenario.

I actually stopped bringing my Glad Plug In air fresheners on the ship because I heard they were a fire hazard. I love them because they are a night light, extra plug and air freshener all in one but I don't use them anywhere anymore. Not worth the risk.

JMHO

I agree that the uninformed will see the recent incidents as a sign that cruising isn't safe, but hopefully the more knowledgeble people will realize that accidents happen everywhere and to everything.

The Chile bus crash was just that, a BUS crash. That it occurred in connection with a cruise is happenstance. Similar accidents happen every day, all over the world and most have nothing to do with cruises.

The Princess fire is still under investigation so we don't know if anything in either the design of the ship or any action by the crew, caused the fire or exacerbated it once it started. Fires occur everywhere and more people die in fires in their own homes than have ever perished on a cruise ship.

Maybe because I work in the insurance industry I see things differently, but LIFE is not safe.

The Grand's turn WAS preventable and the Captain should be suspended or reprimanded for something like that. A sharp, high speed turn might be necessary to avoid another ship, an iceberg or some other peril, but it wasn't called for in that situation.

With more ships and more people cruising there are bound to be more accidents.

If you book a non-sponsored shore excursion you need to be aware of the risk for the lower price although most are perfectly safe. Even ship sponsored tours could be dangerous- you should have seen our overloaded bus on the hillside in Capri !

More people die at home then on vacation- most people worry about the wrong things.

WASH YOUR HANDS ! often - you are less likely to get sick

You can buy smoke masks in travel equipment catalogues- they are great for an emergency in a high rise hotel fire or ship fire. Every night on the ship or in a hotel put a flashlight, your important papers and any other small thing that you could not live without (meds, eyeglasses etc..) in one place or small fanny pack or vest( they may not let you carry a bag in an emergency evac) and have it ready to grab if you have to leave suddenly!

You are largely responsible for your own safety and happiness!

Cruising is a great vacation

My husband and I have been on 23 cruises and have never had an incident.................

Hubby & I have only taken two cruises. This past January and in Feb 04', both Carnival. We do smoke, however we had always assumed that you could not smoke in your cabin and we agreed with that and didnt. But come to find out on our last cruise, people could. We couldnt believe it! We did think it was a safety hazard and never smoked in our cabin. We ALWAYS smoked in the proper areas outside on the deck and put our butts in the proper place.

Even though I am a smoker (and not proud of it) I dont think people should be smoking the cabins.

Just my 2 cents.

Please dont bash me for smokin', I just wanted to add to the conversation :D

With more ships and more people cruising there are bound to be more accidents.

If you book a non-sponsored shore excursion you need to be aware of the risk for the lower price although most are perfectly safe. Even ship sponsored tours could be dangerous- you should have seen our overloaded bus on the hillside in Capri !

More people die at home then on vacation- most people worry about the wrong things.

WASH YOUR HANDS ! often - you are less likely to get sick

You can buy smoke masks in travel equipment catalogues- they are great for an emergency in a high rise hotel fire or ship fire. Every night on the ship or in a hotel put a flashlight, your important papers and any other small thing that you could not live without (meds, eyeglasses etc..) in one place or small fanny pack or vest( they may not let you carry a bag in an emergency evac) and have it ready to grab if you have to leave suddenly!

You are largely responsible for your own safety and happiness!

Cruising is a great vacation

My husband and I have been on 23 cruises and have never had an incident.................

Excellent post. I love the idea about putting the important stuff & flashlight near you each night. Great idea that I will now use!

Thanks to the hosts for providing this forum. I really enjoyed the first hand

report from the MSNBC reporter. This is what we need. Although most of what we read is speculation, it is nice to be able to vent emotions. Many of us speak from that emotion and from the heart......without truly taking the time to think - we speak. In the end, we will hopefully know all the details.

I am now going to "assume" something as well. The question was raised as to how that much damage could occur. Given the fact that the fire did start on the balcony (with the wind fanning the flames and spreading them rapidly in all directions) it is very possible to sustain that much damage in very little time. Most could possibly be smoke damage and charring (again another speculation) and, of course water damage. This looks absolutely horrible and does enough damage to personal effects, but perhaps did not do as much physical/structural damage to all those cabins. I am sure - as the firsthand reports state - that there was some sizeable damage done to the immediate area of the fire. Now, from my heart talking.....I love Princess and Celebrity cruise lines. They are my favorites and my choices whenever I cruise now. Princess has always been first class and it is no surprise to me that it was handled in the most respectable and professional manner we have witnessed.

Hopefully this will help them win the trust of others when choosing a cruiseline, rather than deter them from this line. As many have stated, it is an accident and if I am ever caught in such an accident, I would want the most capable people in charge. Princess has demonstrated this.

My other comment to the poster making reference to the Celebrity tour crash by indicating that they had to go out on their own because of the prices was also speaking from his/her heart and not really considering the age old fact that.......you get what you pay for. Until my last cruise (on Celebrity) last year going on the 11-day Mexican Riveria cruise, I have always booked with the cruiseline. A single mom with daughter, I have a fear of not being able to find my way, read the map properly, trust the batteries in my watch....whatever. I am usually overly cautious and "choose" to pay a few extra dollars for my safety. (Or safer than on my own.) That being said, I did take a private tour with a group of friends met on the Cruise Critic boards.

This was, however, well researched, well planned and highly recommended by many many many CC Members before us. Will I do this again? Maybe, but certainly not without the research and the help from these wonderful boards.

I think that if you do choose to go out on your own, you must be mindful of all the problems that can arise and perhaps not put yourselves in harms way unecessarily. Just an opinion, and I value those opinions of others.

Happy cruising to all who are counting down, and blessing to those returning from these two highly emotional cruises.

Which ship was that loud? Just want to avoid it.
It was the Carnival Glory, but we use the machine on all cruises...even at home to drown outside noises.

I actually stopped bringing my Glad Plug In air fresheners on the ship because I heard they were a fire hazard. I love them because they are a night light, extra plug and air freshener all in one but I don't use them anywhere anymore. Not worth the risk.
I took one of these with us on our last cruise because it was recommended on this board. I unplugged it each night because the light was too bright for us (it reflected from the bathroom to a mirror in our suite and lit the whole room up.) I did not know about the fire hazard, so glad that I unplugged it occasionally.

A balcony does not have to be tiered for a cigarette to land on it. The wind can easily blow a discarded cigarette or ash to a balcony below.

PS - Speaking of recommendations...I wonder if the excursion company in Chile was a recommendation from this board. That would be awful!:eek:

First I want to commend Princess...it sounds like they really did their best to assist and care for their passengers. It is such a shame that some people can be so careless...someone's careless placement of a cigarette ended someone's life, maybe his own, who knows, but tragic never the less! This may be the start of a campagne for non smoking ships, although I don't think that will ever come about, but this is certainly a good reason to stop smoking on ships. Do they have sprinkler systems in cabins, I never noticed, but I think they do. If so, I wonder if they were working.

I always bring a flashlight, one that floats and is waterproff, I place in my night table and my husband or cruisemate always does the same. For those who had to crawl in the dark it would have been a useful tool, if aimed at the ground. I think everyone should bring a flashlight and always be aware how many cabin doors from the nearests stairway your cabin is located. Thanks for the report. Happy safe cruisin everyone.

Yes, this does only serve to emphasize the danger of any open flame on a ship. It is probably most likely that this fire was caused when a passenger decided to fling his/her lit cigarette overboard from their balcony. And, just like the cruise ships warn, the hot cigarette was sucked back into another balcony where it sparked the fire. There is no way to prevent this kind of thing other than totally banning smoking on all passenger ships. There will always be some irresponsible smokers who will defy the rules (not to throw cigarettes overboard) and put all their fellow passengers at risk. As to the comments that banning smoking would hurt cruise ships, my answer is that we have heard the same thing when they banned smoking in restaurants, bars, outdoor stadiums, etc. Anyone who has tried to get into a good restaurant or get tickets to a NFL football game can attest that the no-smoking ban has not done any harm.

Hank

I agree with the post that cruising has became so popular that more accidents will happpen. With that said I will still cruise and still travel with caution just as I have always done. My biggest fear on a cruise ship has been a fire. I have picked a room near the stairway (first cruise was not and I hated it) just in case of a fire or emergency. And for the grand finally. My husband is a smoker. (please be gentle). A very respectful smoker. He doens't smoke in any of the public areas except maybe a few of the bars where there are several smokers already. He smokes on our balcony, that we pay more for so he can smoke alone. (He doesn't smoke in our home) We take a container for his ashes and butts. And he would NEVER throw anything ovewrboard. I am all for hammering down on anyone that would throw a butt overboard. Make it a large fine. But if they don't allow my "highly addicted" husband to smoke for a week we can rule out anymore cruises. This is a horrible accident so I certainly don't want to make light of anything that has happened but I do like to cruise and would like to continue. My sympathy does go out to all the families affected by this tragedy.

I am a bit confused by the article. Were all passengers required to depart the ship in Montego Bay or are those in cabins unaffected still remaining onboard until they return to Ft. Lauderdale?

The ones whos cabins were burned were taken to a hotel about 100 I guess. The rest are allowed to stay on the ship until they can arrange flights home for them. The entire cruise has been canceled

RevSmith...excellent idea with the flashlight...thanks. There are are sprinklers in cabins, but not on the balconies.

I have already posted my views on the fire but I thought I'd add this regarding the Celebrity accident. Whenever I plan an excursion....whether through the cruiseline or privately, I check the US State Dept. website. There is a wealth of information available there...especially warnings about poor safety standards. It may not be totally updated and complete, but at least you'll be aware of some of the potential dangers to look for. My heart goes out to those poor people who lost their lives...it's so sad.

How frightning! From the limited reports I've read, it seems the hotel manager in Jamaica was the one quoted as stating that a cigarette was a suspected cause. I'm unsure as to why we're jumping to this conclusion as this would be a very poor source of information to speculate on.

Can someone clarify? The only CNN I've caught doesn't claim any speculation, just investigation. Reading a poster suggest that the unfortunate man who died should have been the smoker causing this, raised my blood pressure a bit, thinking that maybe..... I have some connection to this man, read these boards and came across not only that, but the postings how irresponsible people cause such incidents, when we don't even know WHY yet. Plus there are many friends and family of the injured looking for the ... WHY did this happen, and I guess I'm feeling that I'd hate to see this tragedy turn into a speculation that it's not.

However, raising the smoking issues in cabins in the wake of this is such a legitimate concerrn, that I hope the industry will recognise the possibility of smoking in cabins turning into such a disaster, regardless of the cause of this.

we know that the non smoking Paradise(?) did not work, but this is a great opportunity to evaluate smoking policy to increase safety.

I know I'll never see the muster drill the same after this, thankfully we've got the hindsight to learn from it. Thanks for listening. I'm just soooo thankfull that the death rate wasn't as high as the ships appearance would show. Great job to the captin and staff.

I consider a flashlight an absolute necessity whenever I travel. In fact, working in NYC and having been through building fires, 9/11 and blackouts, I always carry a small flashlight in my briefcase. It came in very handy at a conference in Dallas when our hotel lost power. It was daytime, and the lobby was lit up through the windows, but people needed my flashlight to use the windowless bathroom.

My daughter is cruising this week on Carnival Liberty....and as much as I consider her an adult, and all grown up, at 23 years old, I have been monitoring the "cruise-cam" for her ship since she left.

Just to be sure everything is ok.

I cannot imagine what the families of this group of cruisers, and the families of the cruisers on the Celebrity ship, are going through.

It's either that there are SO many people vacationing this way....and there are a very small percentage of accidents....and the media just JUMPS on the accidents....OR...the cruise industry just isn't as vigilant as it once was.

Of course, the Celebrity tragedy wasn't on a cruise sponsored excursion....but I wonder why that relatively large group of seniors booked a private excursion?

I hope it wasn't because Celebrity (Carnival) chose to charge WAY too much for a similar excursion.

When I first started cruising....it was a GREAT vacation, EVERYTHING was included (except the cocktails...of course)...

now.....I'm thinking that it's NOT safe for me...or the people I love.

It's different.

I fully expect that most of the people who read this will think I'm an idiot.

That's fine.

Perhaps the concept of charging way too much needs to be looked at in the light of what you don't get when you cahrge less. The game of tyring to constantly beat the price when you fail to realize why the Cruise lines contract with whom they do and at a lot less commision/service charge than you might think is bound to have the cruise companies worst fears confirmed.

I believe the crew is to be commended on their actions during the recent tragedy. It seems Princess did all that was possible after the fire to get passengers home and refund fares. My concern is how did the fire spread that quickly? Were there not enough sprinklers or did they not operate correctly? Clearly there must not be a fire barrier between the rooms.

I am cruising with Princess next month and am very much looking forward to the trip, but will certainly pay more attention to emergency exits sprinkler locations etc. etc.

Thanks for all the information and tips.

Nancy

We sailed the Sapphire Princess this month. Our cabin was located on Dolphin deck mid-ship, in one of those "open" balconies. About every other day, we had to pick up cigarette butts from the floor of our balcony. (We are non-smokers and were quite annoyed at the time but with the recent fire on the Star, I feel grateful nothing serious happened. I imagine a burning cigarette could easily ignite the balcony floor covering, the plastic chairs and pads and the dividers between cabins. A very scary thought!

Sandy

Archived