Getaway Mediterranean in June - Missing Info?

I have been looking at the NCL Getaway 10 day cruise that departs June 6th from Southampton. The price is great for my husband and two older teens. I am hesitant to book because it’s such a good deal. 🤣 It’s been a bit since we cruised - is there something I’m missing about the ship, itinerary, weather, NCL, ports, something else?? Or is it just a great deal and we should go for it? Thanks!!

I'm thinking it's a good deal because this would be after final payment date, and probably there were some cancellations.  Now NCL wants to fill the ship. After looking at the cruise you mentioned, I looked at our May Getaway Northern European cruise, and the current price is considerably less than we paid. ☹️ (We made our final payment in January.)

I'd say if the price is right for you, go for it.  You might have to be flexible about your cabin choice this close to departure date.  I certainly hope there's nothing wrong with the Getaway, as we'll be on it in a couple months.  I have been to Oporto, Lisbon, Malaga, and Cadiz on previous cruise stops, and I enjoyed them all.   It could be hot in June, as you head farther south. You can Google typical temperatures, if you think that might be a problem.  It looks like a great itinerary, with opportunity for pre- and post-cruise time in 2 very different cities, if you are able to extend your vacation.  

Last September I was on a cruise from Dover to Rome.  I had read that the waters in the Atlantic by Portugal and Spain could be rougher than the Mediterranean, so I was prepared with Dramamine.  We had calm seas the whole route, and I never needed the medication.   But if anyone in your family has any potential issue with motion sickness, it would be good to be prepared.  

Check your flight costs before committing.  Those might not be such a good deal.😲  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

As noted above you absolutely need to check airfare price before committing.  

You also might want to look at the reviews for this ship. They start here https://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=712820 . If you go backwards in time, you can see when it was in Europe last year (clicking through the next review).  I sailed the getaway and periodically check the reviews.  There were issues in Europe reported with ports being shortened, missed and with the disembarkment being disorganized, cutting down on time to explore Europe.   If you get a good enough deal and know what to expect, you might have a good time overall.

Edited by kitkat343
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
18 hours ago, CinciBaby said:

I have been looking at the NCL Getaway 10 day cruise that departs June 6th from Southampton. The price is great for my husband and two older teens. I am hesitant to book because it’s such a good deal. 🤣 It’s been a bit since we cruised - is there something I’m missing about the ship, itinerary, weather, NCL, ports, something else?? Or is it just a great deal and we should go for it? Thanks!!

It's WAY down from the price on Oct 4, 2023, but appears hasn't fluctuated that much.  The price history for this trip:

10 day cruise on the Norwegian Getaway (Norwegian)

Departs from London (Southampton), Great Britain on Thu Jun 6, 2024

Ends in Barcelona, Spain on Sun Jun 16, 2024

image.png.6949a6c7b2e12d325567cdeba19fb960.png

Edited by n4w
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, CinciBaby said:

We were on the Getaway this past summer July into August) from Lisbon to Southampton.  It was an AMAZING deal when we booked.  We had a great cruise, but did miss (Le Verdon - Bordeaux) and Zeebrugee (Belgium) due to bad seas and an inability to get into port.

We had zero issues with the time in the ports we did visit (Vigo, La Coruna, Bilbao, Rotterdam, Le Havre).  All those ports had full days with plenty of options of things to do.  You cannot predict the weather and need to go with the flow.  We had some rain and some hot days. We made the most of the extra two sea days.  in fact one of them ended up being a beautiful day on the sea.  It was simply too rough to go into Zeebrugge that morning.

We really enjoyed the Getaway as it was our first time on her.  It has a nice thermal spa and Vibe.  We had great meals, enjoyed the shows, and all in all had a very fun time.

If the price is right for you, book it!

• Like 1

21 hours ago, CinciBaby said:

We’re on this cruise that you mentioned!  We booked way back last June, and I don’t think the prices are that much more different.  We also got the Free at Sea promotion.  My husband’s bucket list includes Gibraltar and this was the easiest way to get there.  We went to Portugal two years ago and we can’t wait to go back to our favorite restaurants in Porto and Lisbon.  Plus, we’re planning spending two days in Barcelona at the end.  In my opinion, the itinerary is amazing!  Just book it 🙂 

• Like 1