Port Melbourne - when to arrive for boarding?

Travelling on Grand Princess at the end of the month as a first time cruiser, when should we arrive at the port and when does check in open? These details were left out on our itinerary. 

If we want to avoid the queue as much as possible is it better to arrive earlier or later? If we are onboard say around 1pm would we be able to have (free) lunch onboard?

Thanks in advance.

1 minute ago, George Barclay said:

Travelling on Grand Princess at the end of the month as a first time cruiser, when should we arrive at the port and when does check in open? These details were left out on our itinerary. 

If we want to avoid the queue as much as possible is it better to arrive earlier or later? If we are onboard say around 1pm would we be able to have (free) lunch onboard?

Thanks in advance.

Have you got the medallion app on your phone? Our app now says for our cruise from Sydney on 18th March, that our boarding time is 12.30-3pm. I think they have changed from time slots we used to select. This time only appeared for us today.

as soon as you get on board you can head for lunch, either Horizon court (buffet) or we like to head to one of the main dining rooms (they allocate one for lunch) as it’s much quieter than heading to buffet, and nice to sit and enjoy a leisurely lunch.

enjoy your first cruise. 

4 minutes ago, Cbtours said:

Have you got the medallion app on your phone? Our app now says for our cruise from Sydney on 18th March, that our boarding time is 12.30-3pm. I think they have changed from time slots we used to select. This time only appeared for us today.

as soon as you get on board you can head for lunch, either Horizon court (buffet) or we like to head to one of the main dining rooms (they allocate one for lunch) as it’s much quieter than heading to buffet, and nice to sit and enjoy a leisurely lunch.

enjoy your first cruise. 

Thanks mate. I've got the app and completed all of the check in steps. Sounds like I need to wait for a couple more weeks for the boarding time information to appear.

Just now, George Barclay said:

Thanks mate. I've got the app and completed all of the check in steps. Sounds like I need to wait for a couple more weeks for the boarding time information to appear.

We are 10 days out according to the app and it now shows our boarding pass as blue lane because we need to pick up medallion at the check in.

Don’t worry there are plenty of staff to help and endless staff on board just waiting to help.

We were in Grand in Alaska last May and were very happy with the ship.

Dining room lunch is usually from noon till 1:30. You also have the buffet, International Cafe (24hrs), Horizon Court or Pizza/Hot Dogs/Burgers on the pool deck which are all available for lunch (no charge) till later in the afternoon.

You can certainly aim to be aboard by 1pm.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, arxcards said:

Dining room lunch is usually from noon till 1:30. You also have the buffet, International Cafe (24hrs), Horizon Court or Pizza/Hot Dogs/Burgers on the pool deck which are all available for lunch (no charge) till later in the afternoon.

You can certainly aim to be aboard by 1pm.

PS There is currently a bit of an app glitch as it’s showing us a “new cruisers” instead of elite on 20th princess cruise. Princess working on it 😁

PS There is currently a bit of an app glitch as it’s showing us a “new cruisers” instead of elite on 20th princess cruise. Princess working on it 😁

Are you logged on with user/pass or via booking info of surname/DOB/Booking number?

48 minutes ago, George Barclay said:

Thanks in advance.

I was on the Grand in January and will be again on Sunday. Both times my boarding window was 1 - 4 pm with the ship leaving at 5 pm. As I live in Melbourne I'm in no rush to get down there. Its going to be hot Sunday so I'll be watering etc. and will probably arrive about 3 pm.

I will post the Patter and other information in a thread on here probably just before bedtime  and if there is anything in particular you want to know I can find out.

Enjoy your cruise.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Cbtours said:

So is mine. I thought they fixed it for me on the ship back in Jan but no, I'm back to new cruiser. I'll try again next week. The only thing I had to do was ring up and buy the Internet at the reduced rate before the price hike as the app wanted to charge me full price not 50%. I go Standard because as it is half the mini-bar comes home so I wouldn't get the value out of the packages.

• Like 1

We sailed from Melbourne on the Grand in February.  We arrived at 11:00 and were told we had to wait until 11:30.  At 11:20, they did start the boarding process.  It was hot and there were only a few seats available while waiting.

9 hours ago, Yaya_in_Oz said:

So is mine. I thought they fixed it for me on the ship back in Jan but no, I'm back to new cruiser. I'll try again next week. The only thing I had to do was ring up and buy the Internet at the reduced rate before the price hike as the app wanted to charge me full price not 50%. I go Standard because as it is half the mini-bar comes home so I wouldn't get the value out of the packages.

I’m waiting to find out what we can currently swap the mini bar alcohol drinks to? 

9 hours ago, arxcards said:

Are you logged on with user/pass or via booking info of surname/DOB/Booking number?

? I just open the app on my phone? I don’t log in every time? 
it’s just “there” lol. Princess did confirm there is currently a glitch when I phoned the help time for app help?

3 minutes ago, Cbtours said:

? I just open the app on my phone? I don’t log in every time? 
it’s just “there” lol. Princess did confirm there is currently a glitch when I phoned the help time for app help?

I don't log on each time either but have found that when it is buggy using my user/pass, that logging out and then logging in with booking number will bypass the glitch.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, arxcards said:

I don't log on each time either but have found that when it is buggy using my user/pass, that logging out and then logging in with booking number will bypass the glitch.

Ok I’m going to make my first cuppa of the day and give that a go 😁

Ok I’m going to make my first cuppa of the day and give that a go 😁

Done, but I’m still a newbie 😁. The app lady confirmed our medallions were ordered in black so it’s ok in the “system”. 

37 minutes ago, Cbtours said:

Done, but I’m still a newbie 😁. The app lady confirmed our medallions were ordered in black so it’s ok in the “system”. 

Oh well.

You won't have your black medallion until you have checked-in, so you might need your docs to get priority into the terminal.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, arxcards said:

Oh well.

You won't have your black medallion until you have checked-in, so you might need your docs to get priority into the terminal.

Yep I’ll have them in case app not updated! Countdown in single figures so getting excited now 😁😁😁

• Like 2

3 hours ago, cruisevac4 said:

We sailed from Melbourne on the Grand in February.  We arrived at 11:00 and were told we had to wait until 11:30.  At 11:20, they did start the boarding process.  It was hot and there were only a few seats available while waiting.

Were there much of a queue after boarding commences? How long did it take for you to be onboard after that?

The line was short.  We were on the ship within 15-20 mins.  Also, I had my room steward swap my alcohol for soft drinks.  Even though we were on a 14 night cruise, I had enough soft drinks for the entire cruise!  Of course, I drinks lots of water from the fountains in the buffet area!  I like ice with my water so I went there quite a bit.  I did go to a bar to get a glass of water, once.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, cruisevac4 said:

The line was short.  We were on the ship within 15-20 mins.  Also, I had my room steward swap my alcohol for soft drinks.  Even though we were on a 14 night cruise, I had enough soft drinks for the entire cruise!  Of course, I drinks lots of water from the fountains in the buffet area!  I like ice with my water so I went there quite a bit.  I did go to a bar to get a glass of water, once.

Did you just ask room steward or did you have to ph room service?

52 minutes ago, Cbtours said:

Did you just ask room steward or did you have to ph room service?

When we were on Coral in Jan, called room service to swap out mini bar. Can have a mix of a dozen soft drinks, water, beer. They will explain the choices available.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, valantine80 said:

When we were on Coral in Jan, called room service to swap out mini bar. Can have a mix of a dozen soft drinks, water, beer. They will explain the choices available.

I assume the mini bar is not complimentary?