Waitlisting for a better cabin category

Leejnd4

Today we booked a cruise on Symphony for May 2025. I was surprised to see that, this far ahead, veranda cabins are waitlisted! They are the only cabin category that are sold out. 

So we booked a window cabin. Our TA told me that if we go ahead and pay the difference between the window and veranda cabin now, that puts us on a “priority waitlist”. This amount is fully refundable if we don’t get the upgrade. He said he spoke to someone at Crystal who told him the waitlist is very short, so I’m hopeful we will get it. 

I have not waitlisted for an upgrade before. My question is, at what point do they close the waitlist? Should I assume that if we haven’t been upgraded by 120 days out (final payment date) we are unlikely to get it?

I’m torn between waiting to see if we get a veranda cabin, and springing now for the Aquamarine cabin (although that’s more than I wanted to spend on this cruise). 

LeeAnne,

There is no clear cut answer on when a waitlist clears. Factors do include the number of rooms/suites in a category, the number of people waitlisted and how afar out the cruise is.  We were waitlisted for a category on our last cruise and we were waitlisted all the way until the day of embarkation.  

Keith 

Since the OP wants one of the "old" veranda cabins, I became curious as to how many are available of each ship after the remodel. On Symphony my count shows just 20 available, whereas there are 46 on Serenity. Many on both ships are far forward. So, with the pricing difference between those and the Aquamarines, it makes sense that they will go fast.

Patty

I’m glad to see Patty did the count. The cost of the veranda vs the window is so little, those veranda cabins sell quickly. I was fortunate to snag a midship one when I booked as soon as itineraries were posted. Since you have almost a year, though, it seems like you could clear any time. I am guessing you’re fine with a forward location! 

Besides the veranda vs. not having one, there are three differences you might not think of until you’re actually cruising. Being on deck seven is nice when you’re going to library, computer room, and the rest of the things back there. Also, even though you don’t have a veranda, you can dash outside easily b/c you’re on deck seven. In the veranda cabin, you’re n a sea of aquamarines, so your jr. butler may not think of you on equal footing as the aquamarines. 

Keith, did your waitlist actually CLEAR on embarkation day?

31 minutes ago, May B said:

Muriel, it didn't.

Part of me didn't want it to clear because that might have meant the person who booked it became ill or had to cancel for something not so pleasant so in the end we were OK.

Keith

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Keith1010 said:

LeeAnne,

There is no clear cut answer on when a waitlist clears. Factors do include the number of rooms/suites in a category, the number of people waitlisted and how afar out the cruise is.  We were waitlisted for a category on our last cruise and we were waitlisted all the way until the day of embarkation.  

Keith 

Well if you’re saying you got the upgrade at embarkation, that pretty much answers my question. So if we don’t get it before we head over there (the cruise starts in Rome) then we may still find out we’ve got it when we embark. Keeps hope alive! 😁

2 hours ago, Texas Tillie said:

Since the OP wants one of the "old" veranda cabins, I became curious as to how many are available of each ship after the remodel. On Symphony my count shows just 20 available, whereas there are 46 on Serenity. Many on both ships are far forward. So, with the pricing difference between those and the Aquamarines, it makes sense that they will go fast.

Patty

I didn’t realize there were so few! That does explain it. And with these new Explorer fares prompting people to book a year in advance, it makes sense they’ve already sold out. 

29 minutes ago, May B said:

I’m glad to see Patty did the count. The cost of the veranda vs the window is so little, those veranda cabins sell quickly. I was fortunate to snag a midship one when I booked as soon as itineraries were posted. Since you have almost a year, though, it seems like you could clear any time. I am guessing you’re fine with a forward location! 

Besides the veranda vs. not having one, there are three differences you might not think of until you’re actually cruising. Being on deck seven is nice when you’re going to library, computer room, and the rest of the things back there. Also, even though you don’t have a veranda, you can dash outside easily b/c you’re on deck seven. In the veranda cabin, you’re n a sea of aquamarines, so your jr. butler may not think of you on equal footing as the aquamarines. 

Yes, I too was surprised the cost difference between the Ocean View and Veranda was so little. My experience with cruises is that getting a balcony is usually a much larger cost! 

Thanks for the details to consider. I’ve been on deck 7 twice on Symphony, and it’s very convenient. And no, we don’t have a problem being forward. We live on a sailboat, currently cruising up and down the Pacific coast in Mexico, so we’re quite used to living with lots of movement. But I’m still seriously considering just making the jump to Aquamarine. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Keith1010 said:

Muriel, it didn't.

Part of me didn't want it to clear because that might have meant the person who booked it became ill or had to cancel for something not so pleasant so in the end we were OK.

Keith

Ohhh…okay so you didn’t get it. But you were still on a waitlist up until embarkation. Got it. 

51 minutes ago, Leejnd4 said:

Ohhh…okay so you didn’t get it. But you were still on a waitlist up until embarkation. Got it. 

Yes, we were waitlisted until we boarded. We would have paid the difference if it opened up.  

Keith

• Like 1

We were wait listed for a veranda cabin on a May 2024 cruse, and my travel agent was told that the the wait list would almost certainly clear. When she checked in, they had converted it to a guarantee. We wanted a mid-ship cabin and decided to book an aquamarine.During the suite promotion, Crystal agreed to reduce the price of our aquamarine cabin to the price of the veranda cabin so we got the best of both worlds! YMMV, but I would go ahead and book the aquamarine.

• Like 2

I just want to note that if I remember correctly LeeAnne you were booking the May 21, 2024 23 day R/T cruise which is a combination of three cruises.  Looking at the website they show join the waitlist for the first of the three voyages and the other two are bookable.

So your challenge is two fold. First a room to open on the first cruise and second that the same room is open on the other two cruises.

Keith

13 hours ago, Cruisemonty said:

We were wait listed for a veranda cabin on a May 2024 cruse, and my travel agent was told that the the wait list would almost certainly clear. When she checked in, they had converted it to a guarantee. We wanted a mid-ship cabin and decided to book an aquamarine.During the suite promotion, Crystal agreed to reduce the price of our aquamarine cabin to the price of the veranda cabin so we got the best of both worlds! YMMV, but I would go ahead and book the aquamarine.

It’s so tempting! I’m still working out my trip budget. So we’ll see. 

9 hours ago, Keith1010 said:

I just want to note that if I remember correctly LeeAnne you were booking the May 21, 2024 23 day R/T cruise which is a combination of three cruises.  Looking at the website they show join the waitlist for the first of the three voyages and the other two are bookable.

So your challenge is two fold. First a room to open on the first cruise and second that the same room is open on the other two cruises.

Keith

Plot twist! My husband decided to come on this trip with me (originally I was going to go alone, in a SGR). So rather than do the entire 23 day itinerary, which would drive him up the wall, we decided to just do the first leg, Rome to Marseille. Then we’ll spend a couple weeks traveling around Provence, which is a part of Europe we have not been to before. 

This will be his first time on Crystal. He’s not a “luxury” kinda guy…my previous Crystal cruises have been with my Mom or friends. Not sure how well he’ll take to it, but I figured a shorter cruise would be a good start. Maybe he’ll get Crystalized! 😁

This is in May 2025, not 2024. Since we only need the first leg to clear, and given how it’s more than a year away, I think we have a pretty good shot at the veranda. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Leejnd4 said:

I

This is in May 2025, not 2024. Since we only need the first leg to clear, and given how it’s more than a year away, I think we have a pretty good shot at the veranda. 

Opps I did mean to say 2025 not 2024 and that is what I looked up on the Crystal Website. I also think time is on your side. Suggestion.  Whenever your TA is talking with Crystal for another client have them check on your voyage to see if something has opened up. While in the perfect world you would automatically clear the waitlist I just think that's the way to go.  If the TA is not talking with Crystal frequently I would ask that they check for you every week or two.  Good luck with this.

Keith 

3 hours ago, Keith1010 said:

Opps I did mean to say 2025 not 2024 and that is what I looked up on the Crystal Website. I also think time is on your side. Suggestion.  Whenever your TA is talking with Crystal for another client have them check on your voyage to see if something has opened up. While in the perfect world you would automatically clear the waitlist I just think that's the way to go.  If the TA is not talking with Crystal frequently I would ask that they check for you every week or two.  Good luck with this.

Keith 

I’ll do that. Thanks!

We are on the same cruise. My TA said it would fill fast because the Grand Prix is a huge draw- I thought it was salesmanship until I saw our category go to waitlist shortly after booking.

On the (very) off chance the Aquamarine Veranda cabin price drops, you may end up with our cabin 🙂 I've been contemplating an upgrade as this is a bday gift for my hubby. 

• Like 2

On 3/11/2024 at 10:29 AM, KCorey said:

We are on the same cruise. My TA said it would fill fast because the Grand Prix is a huge draw- I thought it was salesmanship until I saw our category go to waitlist shortly after booking.

On the (very) off chance the Aquamarine Veranda cabin price drops, you may end up with our cabin 🙂 I've been contemplating an upgrade as this is a bday gift for my hubby. 

COOL! I’ll start a roll call as we get closer. Yes I imagine the Grand Prix is gonna be a big draw. I actually was there for a Grand Prix a number of years ago, while on a Regent cruise. It was a madhouse! But fun to see. That’s one of the reasons my hubby decided to go on this cruise with me - he’s a car enthusiast and he thinks it would be fun to be there for that. 

We’ve decided not to go with an Aquamarine, but just stay on the waitlist for the Veranda. It ended up being a choice between the Aquamarine and flying business class…and I’d rather be comfortable for that long flight. We don’t spend a lot of time in the cabin anyway so I think it’s a reasonable trade off. 

LeeAnne

• Like 2