Costco travel insurance- anyone used?

Although thankfully we have not had to make a claim - we have purchased travel insurance through Costco for several trips.   Costco Travel will refer you to  the provider - I think it was Zurich - and the premium is more than what is charged for trips booked through Costco - it is still a significant savings. 

• 2 weeks later...

I use Costco Insurance despite booking through my TA.

If you book with your cruise with Costco, you can buy the insurance online and it costs 5% of the cost of the trip.

If you did not book your trip through Costco but are a member, you must call CoverMore and give them your Costco number.  You can still get the special rate, however, instead of costing 5% it is 6.5% of the trip cost.  Still a bargain.

Terri

On 8/21/2024 at 8:40 AM, Cruzin Terri said:

I use Costco Insurance despite booking through my TA.

If you book with your cruise with Costco, you can buy the insurance online and it costs 5% of the cost of the trip.

If you did not book your trip through Costco but are a member, you must call CoverMore and give them your Costco number.  You can still get the special rate, however, instead of costing 5% it is 6.5% of the trip cost.  Still a bargain.

Terri

Correct.  Just had this conversation with my Costco agent last week.  Coverage is excellent compared to others for about half the price, and I was able to get the "Cancel for any reason" included by booking within 21 days of cruise rez.  I inquired about Cover-More's quality of service and while the agent did not have personal experience with a claim, she did say that they have been Costco's insurance source for more than 10 years.  Good enough for me :).  Costco always takes care of its members.

1 hour ago, JeannieAZ said:

Correct.  Just had this conversation with my Costco agent last week.  Coverage is excellent compared to others for about half the price, and I was able to get the "Cancel for any reason" included by booking within 21 days of cruise rez.  I inquired about Cover-More's quality of service and while the agent did not have personal experience with a claim, she did say that they have been Costco's insurance source for more than 10 years.  Good enough for me :).  Costco always takes care of its members.

If you pick up Cancel For Any Reason, how much do you get back? I know it is not 100% of the cruise fare.  Just curious.  I was told that I could not pick it up because I did not book my cruise through Costco.

Terri

15 minutes ago, Cruzin Terri said:

If you pick up Cancel For Any Reason, how much do you get back? I know it is not 100% of the cruise fare.  Just curious.  I was told that I could not pick it up because I did not book my cruise through Costco.

Terri

It's 50% up to a maximum of $10,000.  Must cancel at least 3 days prior to sail

Image 8-25-24 at 1.46 PM.jpeg

41 minutes ago, JeannieAZ said:

It's 50% up to a maximum of $10,000.  Must cancel at least 3 days prior to sail

Image 8-25-24 at 1.46 PM.jpeg

Thank you for the info.  All the rest is the same.

I appreciate you taking the time to post the schedule of benefits.

Terri

• Like 1

I have booked Costco a non Costco trips with Covermore.  Other than cost difference 6.5% vs 5% the emergency evacuation is only $500,000 when booked direct for a non Costco booking.

I have fortunately only filed one claim. For an extra day in Athens last year.  It was just over $500 and was easy to file and paid promptly.

Our friends traveling with us also had no problem with their claim.

I really appreciate this thread.  I have a direct flight from PDX to MIA and then FLL to PDX.  
Flying in friday afternoon, cruise from sunday to sunday, flying home Monday.  With cruising I really want to fly in 2 or 3 days prior to sailing.  I don't trust airlines with my cruise.  Going to Disney and I miss a day, ehhh....oh well.  Going on a cruise and fly in the same day, you miss the whole boat.

I have a group of 6 people going in 2 cabins.  The GF and myself and our 5 year old and in cabin #2, we have grandma, a 10 year old cousin, and the GFs daughter who is 13.  

When cruising, it is hard enough to maintain the people in your cabin and your kids.  This will be cruise #7 for me, #3 for the gf and my kid.  This will be cruise #1 for cabin #2.  Also, first REAL vacation for the 2nd group.  The biggest vaca the group of 6 has been on together is a 2 night trip at Great Wolf Lodge that was a 2 hours drive.  This is significantly different. 

My main concern is medical coverage since cousin will have no parents on the trip and gf's daughter - her dad not on trip.  He has full custody so we want to make sure *if* something happens, we will be ok.  I want to give him that peace of mind.  I don't want a kid to step on coral and have a gaping wound and then the ship's infirmary says I need to come up with $1,000.  Then I have to call a parent on shore asking for a CC or them to wire something.  I checked with AE and they wanted $150 for medical only.  Not too bad.  Now I'm looking at Costco and $335 for the cruise and if I add flights, it is $390.  I compared AE vs Costco and AE wanted close to $1,000 for similar coverage, although Costco gives double the medical coverage vs AE baggage delay is 3+ hours and Costco is 12 hours.

Our goal is one carry on and one checked bag per person so I think I will opt for the Costco program.  Not too worried about missed connections as it is direct flight, not too worried about baggage delay on the way there as we have 40 hours between flying in getting on board.  Mainly worried about medical and bringing home stuff from the cruise and duty free shops.

Anyways, what do ya'll recommend....should I do just medical only or, if it was you, would you spring for the extra $150 for everything to be covered?  Thoughts/ideas/am I over thinking?

PS.  Anyone know if this is covered under the 2% executive + 3% Citi bank?  since the bill isn't through costco itself, I just wasn't sure....

• 2 weeks later...

@thesnoopster2 Ships medical center puts the bill on your folio (at least they do on Princess) so it is all part of what is charged to your credit card on file.  

I would suggest calling tripinsurancestore.com .  They can answer your questions about insurance.  They are really good and highly recommended on here.  I have used them myself.

On 9/7/2024 at 1:55 AM, thesnoopster2 said:

My main concern is medical coverage since cousin will have no parents on the trip and gf's daughter - her dad not on trip.  He has full custody

You may also have a different issue to deal with: legal custody of some children.

Many cruise lines might require a signed statement from custodial parent(s) to allow children to leave the country without the parents.  And you might also need "permission for medical treatment" if you (or anyone other than parent) is needed to approve of any medical treatment.

The cruiseline should have forms for this.

Also, for the first issue, the US State Department has more info, plus a general form.

Don't risk showing up at the port with minors without legal parent/guardian and getting turned away.

GC

3 hours ago, GeezerCouple said:

You may also have a different issue to deal with: legal custody of some children.

Many cruise lines might require a signed statement from custodial parent(s) to allow children to leave the country without the parents.  And you might also need "permission for medical treatment" if you (or anyone other than parent) is needed to approve of any medical treatment.

The cruiseline should have forms for this.

Also, for the first issue, the US State Department has more info, plus a general form.

Don't risk showing up at the port with minors without legal parent/guardian and getting turned away.

GC

You are of course, 100% right about this.  I asked NCL about this and they basically told me they are ok with things.  Which I was a little surprised about.  The gf's daughter's father has full custody and he has given us verbal permission, plus texts too but doubt that counts as much, to take her.  While on ship, if medical is needed, her mom is right there so "shouldn't" be an issue.  NCL said as long as mom is there, there is no issue.  The only issue I see is if there is a national amber alert thing going on and it pops up while checking in.  We did put her down as the 3rd person in a "#3 and #4" per are free deal.  This way is dad pulls permission at the last minute and she doesn't go, she was free to begin with.  This way we aren't on the hook for anything money wise.  Right now the only costs for her are the prepaid gratuities, taxes, and port fees which are all refundable. I will try to get dad to fill out the NCL health form just in case because nothing wrong with being over prepared.  Same with the cousin, that one I will need a health form from her mom since she isn't going.  

As far as the state dept form, not sure what you are alluding to with that.

4 hours ago, dickinson said:

@thesnoopster2 Ships medical center puts the bill on your folio (at least they do on Princess) so it is all part of what is charged to your credit card on file.  

I would suggest calling tripinsurancestore.com .  They can answer your questions about insurance.  They are really good and highly recommended on here.  I have used them myself.

I ended up buying the full insurance package from the Costco vender.  They said basically same thing.  Any medical on the ship and I would be charged, come back home and then submit for reimbursement.  However if it was something major, idk - like $5k, I could call them and they would work out something like a credit line.  The cost was pretty low.  I think the trip is around $9k for flights, prepays, taxes, fees, ect.  Once I removed all the prepays and such, it was only $400.  They said personal effects are covered for the duration so if the kids bring ipad to swim with dolphins and they dropped it in the tank or if they dropped it on the reef, the insurance would pay for it.

1 hour ago, thesnoopster2 said:

You are of course, 100% right about this.  I asked NCL about this and they basically told me they are ok with things.  Which I was a little surprised about.  The gf's daughter's father has full custody and he has given us verbal permission, plus texts too but doubt that counts as much, to take her.  While on ship, if medical is needed, her mom is right there so "shouldn't" be an issue.  NCL said as long as mom is there, there is no issue.  The only issue I see is if there is a national amber alert thing going on and it pops up while checking in.  We did put her down as the 3rd person in a "#3 and #4" per are free deal.  This way is dad pulls permission at the last minute and she doesn't go, she was free to begin with.  This way we aren't on the hook for anything money wise.  Right now the only costs for her are the prepaid gratuities, taxes, and port fees which are all refundable. I will try to get dad to fill out the NCL health form just in case because nothing wrong with being over prepared.  Same with the cousin, that one I will need a health form from her mom since she isn't going.  

As far as the state dept form, not sure what you are alluding to with that.

I would *strongly* suggest getting the "permission to travel" form completed by Dad (and notarized IF required; I don't know if it is).

IF there is a problem at the port, "whatever Dad said" is going to be completely irrelevant.

It's a "crossing an international border" thing.

Yes, on factor the border authorities consider is not just "child trafficking" but whether a non-custodial parent is removing a child from a custodial parent.  It definitely happens, and is a real concern... not frequent, but very serious when it does happen.

There may well NOT be any Amber Alert when something like this happens, and I wouldn't rely upon the fact that there is no active Amber Alert at the time.

How old are the children traveling without both parents.

Again, I strongly suggest they look at the legalities, and also keep in mind a "just in case"...  Is it really worth risking the chance of the child (and thus possibly at least one other person in the group) being turned away?

It's not only up to NCL, and if a regular NCL phone rep "told you", that may not be correct information.

NCL should have the parental permission form as well as the "medical care" form.  Maybe they are both the same form?  (I don't think so, but I'm a few years out of date on this.)

Better safe than sorry!

GC

On 9/15/2024 at 8:19 AM, dickinson said:

Dickinson: So you purchased a policy with TIS, but have you ever had to file a claim?

Steve and Company were useless and couldn't be bothered when I broke my ankle and wrist while on vacation.

I DO NOT recommend Steve Dasseos and company.

Buyer Beware!!!

20 minutes ago, Feeling Sand-tastic said:

Dickinson: So you purchased a policy with TIS, but have you ever had to file a claim?

Steve and Company were useless and couldn't be bothered when I broke my ankle and wrist while on vacation.

Buyer Beware!!!

The question several of us are waiting to hear about is WHAT did the travel insurance company say when you called them (collect) from Greece?  They should have a 24/7 emergency phone number.  THEY are the ones who would actually help "arrange care" or "get new tickets" etc., if you are need help like that, etc.

Didn't your policy include that information?

Which travel insurance company did you use...?

As we've written many times, we've purchase quite a few policies through TIS, and we had to file claims for several of them, from full cancellation in advance, to help with transportation and changing plans after a hospital stay, etc.  Small amounts to large amounts...

ETA:  By the way, I very seriously doubt that TripInsuranceStore works with Costco travel or their insurance.  So if *that* was your travel insurance, then how would TIS be involved?

GC

Edited by GeezerCouple

2 hours ago, Feeling Sand-tastic said:

Buyer Beware!!!

I'm sorry what happened to you.  Steve is an insurance BROKER he is NOT the insurance.  Your first call should have been to the insurance company.  As Geezer Couple above said it is they who would help you while in Greece.  Steve could help if you are having trouble filing the claim or issues with the insurance company (this would be after you got back home) but I would never expect to call him in your situation to get help while in Greece. 

Any of the policies I have purchased has info and a phone # to call collect if while overseas you find your self in your situation so they can help.

I hope you are better now. In the future make sure to read your policy, especially the part about what to do while you are in a foreign country.

On 9/15/2024 at 11:29 AM, GeezerCouple said:

I would *strongly* suggest getting the "permission to travel" form completed by Dad (and notarized IF required; I don't know if it is).

IF there is a problem at the port, "whatever Dad said" is going to be completely irrelevant.

It's a "crossing an international border" thing.

Yes, on factor the border authorities consider is not just "child trafficking" but whether a non-custodial parent is removing a child from a custodial parent.  It definitely happens, and is a real concern... not frequent, but very serious when it does happen.

There may well NOT be any Amber Alert when something like this happens, and I wouldn't rely upon the fact that there is no active Amber Alert at the time.

How old are the children traveling without both parents.

Again, I strongly suggest they look at the legalities, and also keep in mind a "just in case"...  Is it really worth risking the chance of the child (and thus possibly at least one other person in the group) being turned away?

It's not only up to NCL, and if a regular NCL phone rep "told you", that may not be correct information.

NCL should have the parental permission form as well as the "medical care" form.  Maybe they are both the same form?  (I don't think so, but I'm a few years out of date on this.)

Better safe than sorry!

GC

You have given me a few things to ponder and I will need to look into it.  You are right, just because some idiot phone rep that has zero skin in the game says one thing, doesn't mean the port agent which could be facing termination and massive fines will have the same happy go lucky let everything go type attitude.

The GFs daughter will be 13 at the time of the cruise and the cousin, with no mom or dad, but grandma, will be 10 years old.  Not to bring race into it, but the cousin is black and grandma is white so that could, in theory, bring up a 'how we know she belongs to you type thing.'

14 minutes ago, thesnoopster2 said:

You have given me a few things to ponder and I will need to look into it.  You are right, just because some idiot phone rep that has zero skin in the game says one thing, doesn't mean the port agent which could be facing termination and massive fines will have the same happy go lucky let everything go type attitude.

The GFs daughter will be 13 at the time of the cruise and the cousin, with no mom or dad, but grandma, will be 10 years old.  Not to bring race into it, but the cousin is black and grandma is white so that could, in theory, bring up a 'how we know she belongs to you type thing.'

Given the ages and other information, I would REALLY strongly suggest that you just get the paperwork signed and have it with the accompanying adult ready to be shown.

And of course, the port agent doesn't work directly for the cruise line, so there's no way at all there could be any "verification", even if they wanted to help.  And chances are, they won't; they are busy and have their regular instructions and routines to deal with.

It would just be such a shame to have someone turned away, or maybe both... plus the accompanying adults.  Children aged 10 and 13 can't just wave everyone goodbye, and head to the airport (as could happen with an unfortunate adult who doesn't have a required passport).

And maybe it's like carrying an umbrella.  If you are prepared, there won't be any trouble! 😉 

GC

2 hours ago, dickinson said:

I'm sorry what happened to you.  Steve is an insurance BROKER he is NOT the insurance.  Your first call should have been to the insurance company.  As Geezer Couple above said it is they who would help you while in Greece.  Steve could help if you are having trouble filing the claim or issues with the insurance company (this would be after you got back home) but I would never expect to call him in your situation to get help while in Greece. 

Any of the policies I have purchased has info and a phone # to call collect if while overseas you find your self in your situation so they can help.

I hope you are better now. In the future make sure to read your policy, especially the part about what to do while you are in a foreign country.

@GeezerCouple, @Dickinson: 

I am glad Steve has been extremely helpful to you. Unfortunately, I had  a very different experience with Steve and with the IMG travel insurance policy he sold me. 

When we asked IMG for translation assistance, they said no one was available at night or on weekends. They took my husband’s information and said that someone would call us back to assist. 

I was in the hospital for over 9+ hours and since we did NOT hear back from IMG, we called Steve and asked for his help. He said he would reach out to his contacts at IMG and would follow up with us.  

Steve never did not follow up with us. (Very disappointed with Steve’s lack of care, concern or follow-up for his clients. Especially after we have been loyal customers for years and have sent him many referrals.)

We received the “run around” from IMG representatives. 

IMG did not provide any help whatsoever.  IMG did NOT provide the covered benefits/services during my urgent/emergency situation.

After I returned home, I wrote a letter to CEO Paraboschi, of IMG. I detailed all the issues I encountered and that IMG should have handled.  I documented all my email correspondence and all my phone calls to, and the calls I received from IMG representatives.

It was only after my email to the CEO, that I received any assistance. I was told that my claim would be personally handled and expedited going forward because of their poor customer service and their failure to deliver services as outlined in insurance policy and schedule of benefits. 

I guess IMG’s definition of expedited is 10 weeks. It took 10 weeks for me to receive a check for ALL the expenses I incurred. 

Again, Buyer Beware!!

@Feeling Sand-tastic thanks for providing info that would have been helpful in your first post. It disturbs me that IMG did not provide you the timely benefits that were needed. Especially because I purchased their insurance before and will be again for my next cruise. Have you contacted Steve again to find out why he never followed up with you?

My recent cruise I had Covid the first night and went medical the next day. Besides my medical bill I also submitted a bill for a refund for an excursion that I was not able to cancel in time. They were prompt and paid me in about 10 days. 

2 hours ago, Feeling Sand-tastic said:

@GeezerCouple, @Dickinson: 

I am glad Steve has been extremely helpful to you. Unfortunately, I had  a very different experience with Steve and with the IMG travel insurance policy he sold me. 

When we asked IMG for translation assistance, they said no one was available at night or on weekends. They took my husband’s information and said that someone would call us back to assist. 

I was in the hospital for over 9+ hours and since we did NOT hear back from IMG, we called Steve and asked for his help. He said he would reach out to his contacts at IMG and would follow up with us.  

Steve never did not follow up with us. (Very disappointed with Steve’s lack of care, concern or follow-up for his clients. Especially after we have been loyal customers for years and have sent him many referrals.)

We received the “run around” from IMG representatives. 

IMG did not provide any help whatsoever.  IMG did NOT provide the covered benefits/services during my urgent/emergency situation.

After I returned home, I wrote a letter to CEO Paraboschi, of IMG. I detailed all the issues I encountered and that IMG should have handled.  I documented all my email correspondence and all my phone calls to, and the calls I received from IMG representatives.

It was only after my email to the CEO, that I received any assistance. I was told that my claim would be personally handled and expedited going forward because of their poor customer service and their failure to deliver services as outlined in insurance policy and schedule of benefits. 

I guess IMG’s definition of expedited is 10 weeks. It took 10 weeks for me to receive a check for ALL the expenses I incurred. 

Again, Buyer Beware!!

Hi Feeling Sand-tastic,

I don't know who you are by your CruiseCritic ID.

A few minutes ago, I responded to you from a similar comment you made complaining about me in this thread:

In that thread, you said "we purchased a single trip policy through our TA and it was significantly cheaper than what I found online via the recommended websites."

Since you bought your policy from your TA, I don't understand, how I would be involved in your claim. Your TA should be helping you with your claim.

Steve Dasseos

Hello,

I was wrong - the post I attributed to Feeling Sand-tastic was not from Feeling Sand-tastic. In my haste to respond to Feeling Sand-tastic's comments about me, I mistakenly thought Feeling Sand-tastic quoting the post meant the post was from Feeling Sand-tastic.

Steve Dasseos